Home form - my solution.

davenportram

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me there's two options -

1) Fight for our lives, attack like there's no tomorrow, get into them and f*ck 'em up, right from the off and put a show on.

2) Do what they do, sit back. Pass it about the back without getting anywhere and slowly coax them out, possibly score but if not go for a 0-0 as teams will soon get bored of that.

Please can somebody pass this on to Cloughie? I doubt he's ever heard about those...

For me there's two options -

1) Fight for our lives, attack like there's no tomorrow, get into them and f*ck 'em up, right from the off and put a show on.

2) Do what they do, sit back. Pass it about the back without getting anywhere and slowly coax them out, possibly score but if not go for a 0-0 as teams will soon get bored of that.

Please can somebody pass this on to Cloughie? I doubt he's ever heard about those...

I think he's heard of the latter one. In his post match interview he said as much. "Keep it Nil nil for an hour or so " and get one towards the end.

Just our sloppy defending and giving away soft goals stops this from working.

Exactly, don't know what he's going to do... is it definitely the CBs, the back four or what?

I was only joking, I'm certain Nige knows what he wants, otherwise we wouldn't have played like we did first half but it's just not pulling off at the moment.

I refuse to worry, yet.

We haven't come up against this before, so maybe it will take a few more matches to get used to?

I don't think there's a magic solution to home games.

I think we have been beaten by teams that are better. Except Burnley. That was appalling

We've played poor teams away and won and better teams at home and lost.

Yep. Spot on. Plus.............Reading are huge aren't they. It's not just the 'big effin Russian'. They all seemed huge compared to the Derby players!

If we look at the team our subs bench has more experience, we ar better in the striking department this year, our midfield players have improved, our right back area is weaker(Smith is a good player, but Brayford is being missed especially by Coutts), parts of our left back function are better but Roberts was much better going forward especially at home. Grant is better with ball at feet than any of our recent keepers but he seems to be nervous at home, he is making silly mistakes and unfortunately keepers mistakes cost goals. JimP

Home formation for me based on players currently available has to be:

Grant

Smith                       Keogh                   Buxton              Freeman/Forsyth

Jacobs/Davies        Coutts                    Byrson                      Ward

Hughes

Martin/Sammon

-We need a way of getting the ball through to our striker which is why I would put Hughes in his natural position as a central attacking midfielder. 

-We also need width. Which is why I would start with Jacobs and Ward. These two can switch throughout the match. If it is not working with one of these two, I would sub one of them for B.Davies who can cross the ball far better than any of our other players. 

- Coutts in the middle, because he is a CM with a right foot not a RM. 

-Freeman as 1st choice left back,He has played there before, he is a good defender (key word defender). Forsyth is not a defender he is a left midfielder. However he can play left back and I think he should do in our away formations. 

-Martin offers us more overall than all the other strikers. However with someone like Hughes playing right behind and alongside them I would pick who ever works best with him, (running, positioning and finishing). 

We have a great passing team. So let us use the whole pitch and not crowd out the middle with everyone on top of each other. We need to play between the lines not crowd them. 

I wouldn't change anything other than the defence. Simply put, as Nigel said, we need to create something and make a goal, the oppo don't we end up gifting them the goals. If we had a good defence then we could be confident going forward. We may not win if the oppo are defensively minded but we'd be less likely to lose. It's not a matter of sticking a big man up top and going direct or anything like that. We can do it away as we exploit the space the home team gives us because they're taking the game to us. At home, the oppo don't and we're not good enough to break them down or keep their chances out. Our style is basic. It's like the sole instruction is "pass the ball" and that's it, nothing else.

So keep it the same but work on an organised back 4 and practice with the forwards being outnumbered by the defence and having to find the space and balls to break them down. (It's not that simple I know but it's what top coaches and managers should be able to work on and develop)

I wouldn't change anything other than the defence. Simply put, as Nigel said, we need to create something and make a goal, the oppo don't we end up gifting them the goals. If we had a good defence then we could be confident going forward. We may not win if the oppo are defensively minded but we'd be less likely to lose. It's not a matter of sticking a big man up top and going direct or anything like that. We can do it away as we exploit the space the home team gives us because they're taking the game to us. At home, the oppo don't and we're not good enough to break them down or keep their chances out. Our style is basic. It's like the sole instruction is "pass the ball" and that's it, nothing else.

So keep it the same but work on an organised back 4 and practice with the forwards being outnumbered by the defence and having to find the space and balls to break them down. (It's not that simple I know but it's what top coaches and managers should be able to work on and develop)

The trouble was yesterday it wasn't the defenders making mistakes, apart from some Smith culpability for the last goal.

Archived