Home form - my solution.

davenportram

Teams come to pride park and park the bus to stop us playing the build from the back passing game. They expect us to do nothing else.

My solution, play Sammon up front with Martin. Have someone to Harry their defence, a target we can put the ball up to to give them something else to think about, push their defender back and create separation between midfield and our attack to make space in the middle. When they head or clear the ball up (assuming Sammon doesn't win it) have the midfield ready to take the ball and exploit the space.

Just a theory, but based on the difference Sammon made today. If we get the first goal then the away team need to attack and the space opens up naturally.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think our midfield win enough balls for that to work Dav. They're hardly ever first to a knock down from oppo defenders.

There were many instances today where we hit the long hit and hope ball and they just cleaned it up without any hassle.

They win there share away from home though. If we have someone able to really challenge for the long ball it makes it harder for their defenders to play it to an area that our midfielders can't get to. Before Sammon came on their centre halves could pick where they cleared the long balls to because they new they would always win the header. With Sammon on they didn't clean them up as easily.

Think we're over-analysing.

We're just really inconsistent. We've fixed things in the past and then another problem comes along. The defence was alright at one point and now its poor. The attack was poor at one point and now looks to be a bit sharper. The home form was good at one point and the away was poor. Now the away form is good and the home is poor. Face it, we have no plan, nothing seems to come together to give us anywhere near the consistency it'd take to challenge the top teams in this league. I don't even like the fact we aim to scrape a top 6 finish, a serious promotion contender should be saying at season start "we want automatic".

Different aspects have changed since last seasons home form, the last 3 teams have parked the bus where as only Hull and Cardiff did the same last year which we struggled against.

I thought we were getting there in the first half, certainly looked better at breaking Reading down than we did against Leicester and Burnley. Just a shame the second half was utter tosh.

Have they parked the bus or have they just been a well organised and drilled team at the back? When was the last time you felt confident that Derby would keep a clean sheet? I just think we need that organisation. I think we need that calm head at CB who can calm the others, organise them and have the back four working like a team. We look like a collection of individuals at the back and in games when we're playing against a well organised team we're too open. These teams don't need many chances to score against us because we're not good enough to keep them out. We've scored goals this season but only one team in the top half have conceded more. I'm not saying let's play negative just have a better organised back 4 to allow us to go forward with confidence.

Have they parked the bus or have they just been a well organised and drilled team at the back? When was the last time you felt confident that Derby would keep a clean sheet? I just think we need that organisation. I think we need that calm head at CB who can calm the others, organise them and have the back four working like a team. We look like a collection of individuals at the back and in games when we're playing against a well organised team we're too open. These teams don't need many chances to score against us because we're not good enough to keep them out. We've scored goals this season but only one team in the top half have conceded more. I'm not saying let's play negative just have a better organised back 4 to allow us to go forward with confidence.

Would you play Eustace at the back until Barker's 'fit'? 

There is two big differences to last year...we have lost the threat on the right side of the pitch & we have replaced the hassling of the big fish with the better touch & finish of the lightweight Russell..when what we really needed was a big powerful threat up top (aka Sammon) but who could also finish (aka Russell)..

The best solution in my opinion would be to return Smith if at all possible & to go all out to try to get Bray back on loan...then to send Sammon & or Martin out on loan & to go all out to get the striker we really needed in the summer in shape of a Billy Sharpe or a James Vaughn... 

Russell to be used as an impact player at home & possibly a starter when playing on the break away from home...

A quality centre half to be brought in...Yes quite a bit of wheeling & dealing but we havent got it right in the summer so best to get it right now instead of waiting until another season fizzles out again.. 

Just my opinion.. :ph34r:

Would you play Eustace at the back until Barker's 'fit'?

Nope, Eustace isn't a defender for me. I would have stuck to my priority of signing a CB in the summer and brought in a new CB by now. That was our priority, and for good reason, and it somewhere along the line got lost, still hasn't been addressed and we're leaking goals. Anyone see a link?

Other teams parking the bus isn't an excuse. If that's all it takes to stop us playing then we'll be lucky to finish midtable. Although I do think the defence isn't good enough for promotion, I do believe a right winger would have made a difference today. It's only early on, if we still struggling defencively at Christmas and we don't bring anyone in then cloughs mental state needs to be questioned.

We still lack quality in the final 3rd we get into good areas but cross it out of play or into the keeper. We do seem to be lacking some width and pace. Also last season we did seem to press higher up the pitch, especially at the start of the match.

I still havent seen much from Russell but have only been to the home games in which he hasnt offered anything really.

I say somebody gets the ball in midfield and runs forwards. Nicely onto Russell (who was waiting for a through ball all game...) who shoots and scores.

Miss? Try again.

Buxton to Keogh, Keogh to Eustace, Eustace to Hughes, Hughes to Martin, Martin to Eustace, Eustace to Buxton, Buxton to Forsyth.... Is never ever going to get us goals.

Archived