Home form - my solution.

davenportram

I just had to look up what that meant on the internet (different generation)  :)  It wasn't just me that thought Mostyn was coming on to Sage again then? Bless..

I'm probably too old to use age as an excuse to be honest, I must just be a DFPDSH.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another promising thread now descending into the Mostyn and Sage show. Can you two just start a thread called "my dad's bigger than your dad", insult each for a couple of pages until one of you takes the leap of faith and makes their move and you can be the first relationship that developed on the forum. In years to come I may be buying a hat for a special occasion.

Back on topic. It's not about changing our formation or style at home. Although teams are set up to stop us playing when we're at home, they're also better teams. I imagine if we had played Forest, QPR and Blackpool away this season then we'd be looking at an equally poor record away as we are at home. Likewise if we'd played Barnsley, Wednesday, etc at home we could be sitting pretty with a good tally from both home and away. What it boils down to is that yet again we're a mid table outfit. We can't beat the better teams but beat the smaller ones.

Another promising thread now descending into the Mostyn and Sage show. Can you two just start a thread called "my dad's bigger than your dad", insult each for a couple of pages until one of you takes the leap of faith and makes their move and you can be the first relationship that developed on the forum. In years to come I may be buying a hat for a special occasion.

Back on topic. It's not about changing our formation or style at home. Although teams are set up to stop us playing when we're at home, they're also better teams. I imagine if we had played Forest, QPR and Blackpool away this season then we'd be looking at an equally poor record away as we are at home. Likewise if we'd played Barnsley, Wednesday, etc at home we could be sitting pretty with a good tally from both home and away. What it boils down to is that yet again we're a mid table outfit. We can't beat the better teams but beat the smaller ones.

Behave, you can see I've quite clearly said I didn't want to engage in a nonsense again!

Anyone else just wanna go back to 4-4-2?

The problem we've had in all 3 losses has been that the teams have come to PP and packed out their midfield... Then we're just compounding it my having 4 dudes through the middle and they can't play cos there's no room...

Then the opposition attack down the flanks and guess what? We don't have anyone covering there!

Smith/Freeman and Forsyth are getting over exposed on the sides cos there's no-one to help them when the oppostion full-backs attack... and they can't offer anything attacking cos there's no-one out there to help them...

Smith looks like he can attack with all the flair and creativity that Brayford had... yet on Saturday he was left to run the whol right hand side on his own against 2/3 of their players... That meant he couldn't do anything but cross from VERY deep... or send it back left... So we end up attacking only from the left... So guess where Reading decided to defend?

We were just woefully unbalanced on Saturday... and against Leicester we only started looking a threat when we had wingers (ward and coutts?)

Anyone remember how well Brayford and Coutts on the right and Roberts/Forsyth and Ward/Jacobs on the left was last season?

Anyone else just wanna go back to 4-4-2?

The problem we've had in all 3 losses has been that the teams have come to PP and packed out their midfield... Then we're just compounding it my having 4 dudes through the middle and they can't play cos there's no room...

Then the opposition attack down the flanks and guess what? We don't have anyone covering there!

Smith/Freeman and Forsyth are getting over exposed on the sides cos there's no-one to help them when the oppostion full-backs attack... and they can't offer anything attacking cos there's no-one out there to help them...

Smith looks like he can attack with all the flair and creativity that Brayford had... yet on Saturday he was left to run the whol right hand side on his own against 2/3 of their players... That meant he couldn't do anything but cross from VERY deep... or send it back left... So we end up attacking only from the left... So guess where Reading decided to defend?

We were just woefully unbalanced on Saturday... and against Leicester we only started looking a threat when we had wingers (ward and coutts?)

Anyone remember how well Brayford and Coutts on the right and Roberts/Forsyth and Ward/Jacobs on the left was last season?

Completely agree about the play being too narrow and the oppo setting up to combat this and attack in the wide areas. It's easy for oppo to see this and focus on preventing it. I wouldn't like to see 4-4-2. I think it's a formation that rarely works these days. I'd go for more a 4-2-3-1 with our current available players

Back 4 - no option but to stick with. You hear that Nigel, no fricking options!!!

2 mids - Eustace, sitting and Bryson box-to-box

Then forward three of Jacobs, Hughes and Ward. All three can interchange and play in the middle or either wing, swapping positions and causing the oppo defence to constantly get used to a new threat

Up front Martin, big enough to control the ball and bring the midfield 3 in.

We then have plenty of options on the bench to change things if need be. You hear that Nigel, it's called tactical changes and they can happen at any point during the 90! We have Bennett who can occupy an attacking 3 or striker role, Sammon, Russell the same as Bennett, Coutts in midfield. It works for me but then I'm not a football manager so it could completely fall on its arse and be rubbish and we'd get torn apart.

(And please nobody get too upset by the "you hear that Nigel" comments. I'm not professing to know more than him, just my opinion as a fan)

Completely agree about the play being too narrow and the oppo setting up to combat this and attack in the wide areas. It's easy for oppo to see this and focus on preventing it. I wouldn't like to see 4-4-2. I think it's a formation that rarely works these days. I'd go for more a 4-2-3-1 with our current available players

Yeh... Think that would work better than the current tosh... But I like having 2 up top... for starter there's only Martin who can really play that role... second I don't like wasting Sammon or Russell on a winger role... thirdly, you still end up with your wide attacking mids needing to track back to cover the full backs coming forwards... finally, I'm not convinced that Hughes in that central role would get in the box enough to support the striker...

Yeh... Think that would work better than the current tosh... But I like having 2 up top... for starter there's only Martin who can really play that role... second I don't like wasting Sammon or Russell on a winger role... thirdly, you still end up with your wide attacking mids needing to track back to cover the full backs coming forwards... finally, I'm not convinced that Hughes in that central role would get in the box enough to support the striker...

I think Sammon can also do the lone striker role just to a lesser extent. Also think Hughes can play the role, I don't see him as a 2nd striker, I see Ward and Jacobs joining the attack and Hughes being the playmaker bringing them in. That why I also think Bennett and Russell can do the wide roles as they're more 2nd strikers to support the loan front man.

It does mean these role need to help at the back but less so that 4-4-2 as Bryson and Eustace should be used to bolster the rearguard and help out more.

I think if I was managing a pub team coming to play against Derby, I'd do what Reading did. Force Derby away from the centre of the pitch and out into the channels where Derby come unstuck with a) poor crossing and b) lack of threat on the receiving end of any crosses that aren't poor.

Simply, Derby are pretty good going through the middle, I remember a couple of little one twos in the middle that got us to the edge of the box, one in particular where Bryson hit a downward volley when he could and should have taken a touch and gone one on one with the keeper. What Adkins did was spot this threat and pull his players more narrow, forcing Derby down the outside.

Simple. Play through the middle, don't go wide.

For as much stick as you will take about this post (probably because there was no need to put pub team) I actually think you are spot on.

We are a very easy team to figure out. As all 4 teams to visit Pride Park have shown.

What annoys me is that there seems to be no plan b when plan a does not work.

Substitutions always seem to be like for like with no change to formation.

Behave, you know full well that your comment was saying that I said I was an expert. May be in different terms, but the implication was clear.

Your pledge to block me was in one of the mod's threads, I'm sure Boycie or Daveo remember it.

But, you aren't my first stalker, piggy-backing your way to notoriety off the back of my superior knowledge, you won't be my last. Would you like a signed photo? Worn underwear perhaps?

I'll go for the photo, get me a naked Cameron Diaz one. You can sign it if you want but not over any of the good bits.

Back 4 - no option but to stick with. You hear that Nigel, no fricking options!!!

2 mids - Eustace, sitting and Bryson box-to-box

Then forward three of Jacobs, Hughes and Ward. All three can interchange and play in the middle or either wing, swapping positions and causing the oppo defence to constantly get used to a new threat

Up front Martin, big enough to control the ball and bring the midfield 3 in.

We then have plenty of options on the bench to change things if need be. You hear that Nigel, it's called tactical changes and they can happen at any point during the 90! We have Bennett who can occupy an attacking 3 or striker role, Sammon, Russell the same as Bennett, Coutts in midfield. It works for me but then I'm not a football manager so it could completely fall on its arse and be rubbish and we'd get torn apart.

(And please nobody get too upset by the "you hear that Nigel" comments. I'm not professing to know more than him, just my opinion as a fan)

What a **** post.

(And please nobody get too upset by the “****” comment. I’m not professing to be a qualified coprologist, just my opinion as a poster)

I think if I was managing a pub team coming to play against Derby, I'd do what Reading did. Force Derby away from the centre of the pitch and out into the channels where Derby come unstuck with a) poor crossing and b) lack of threat on the receiving end of any crosses that aren't poor.

Simply, Derby are pretty good going through the middle, I remember a couple of little one twos in the middle that got us to the edge of the box, one in particular where Bryson hit a downward volley when he could and should have taken a touch and gone one on one with the keeper. What Adkins did was spot this threat and pull his players more narrow, forcing Derby down the outside.

Simple. Play through the middle, don't go wide.

Really? I totally agree on the passing ability of our midfielders... But the only times we were getting into the box were when Wardy went behind the RB from out wide... As far as I remember (I was hungover and tried to blot out the pain of the performance through denial so I may be wrong) the Hughes goal came after an attack down the RHS?

And I think the reason our crossing was a dud was doing it from too deep... No-one helping Smith on the RHS and not enough getting past the RB on the left...

And there just wasn't enough room to attack properly through the centre... If you can pass well around people isn't it easier to do that out wide where there's only 2/3 players to pass round rather than in the middle where there's 6/7? Plus if you play wider their central players get more stretched which leaves more space in the middle for our forwards and Hughes/Bryson bombing through...

I dunno... Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but for me the major problem against Leicester, Burnely and Reading was how easy they found it to stifle us through the middle... especially against Leicester, and the second half against Reading...

Really? I totally agree on the passing ability of our midfielders... But the only times we were getting into the box were when Wardy went behind the RB from out wide... As far as I remember (I was hungover and tried to blot out the pain of the performance through denial so I may be wrong) the Hughes goal came after an attack down the RHS?

And I think the reason our crossing was a dud was doing it from too deep... No-one helping Smith on the RHS and not enough getting past the RB on the left...

And there just wasn't enough room to attack properly through the centre... If you can pass well around people isn't it easier to do that out wide where there's only 2/3 players to pass round rather than in the middle where there's 6/7? Plus if you play wider their central players get more stretched which leaves more space in the middle for our forwards and Hughes/Bryson bombing through...

I dunno... Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but for me the major problem against Leicester, Burnely and Reading was how easy they found it to stifle us through the middle... especially against Leicester, and the second half against Reading...

that's my point. Flood the centre of midfield with bodies and we are stifled. It's too simple.

We have been beaten by good teams at home and we have beaten crap teams and teams out of form away. I think people are looking into it too much, we will pick up points from teams that aren't as good as us.

Since the beginning of the season i have noticed that there is still a gap between us and teams like Leicester,Reading and now Burnley since Dyche took over.

We don't have enough creativity going forward to break good, organised teams down and our defense isn't good enough to deal with fast counter attacking football.

We will probably lose comfortably to an in form team at home tonight against Leicester and my point will be proven.

that's my point. Flood the centre of midfield with bodies and we are stifled. It's too simple.

Oh sorry... I thought you were saying that's what WE should do...

Anyone fancy starting a petition to persuade Nigel back to 4-4-2? I think we should all buy Fifa and Football Manager and then prove how much better 4-4-2 is...

Oh sorry... I thought you were saying that's what WE should do...

Anyone fancy starting a petition to persuade Nigel back to 4-4-2? I think we should all buy Fifa and Football Manager and then prove how much better 4-4-2 is...

I'd be tempted to play a 3-4-1-2 formation.

Keogh - Buxton - Freeman

Coutts - Bryson - Hughes - Jacobs

Ward

Russell - Martin

This for me would provide more protection in the middle of defence, where we get destroyed by movement normally, whilst if Coutts and Jacobs stay disciplined out wide, the opposition fullbacks would be pinned back. Ward (should he ever remember how to pass) would link up the oncoming midfield with the strikers, whilst offering an interchange with either of the front two who could drop back to fill in. This would suit our neat intricate one-twos, whilst providing enough bodies to not be over-ran in midfield and potentially 3 attacker flying into the box to meet a cross.

Behave, you know full well that your comment was saying that I said I was an expert. May be in different terms, but the implication was clear.

Your pledge to block me was in one of the mod's threads, I'm sure Boycie or Daveo remember it.

But, you aren't my first stalker, piggy-backing your way to notoriety off the back of my superior knowledge, you won't be my last. Would you like a signed photo? Worn underwear perhaps?

When did Bris start posting in his real life username?

I'd be tempted to play a 3-4-1-2 formation.

Keogh - Buxton - Freeman

Coutts - Bryson - Hughes - Jacobs

Ward

Russell - Martin

This for me would provide more protection in the middle of defence, where we get destroyed by movement normally, whilst if Coutts and Jacobs stay disciplined out wide, the opposition fullbacks would be pinned back. Ward (should he ever remember how to pass) would link up the oncoming midfield with the strikers, whilst offering an interchange with either of the front two who could drop back to fill in. This would suit our neat intricate one-twos, whilst providing enough bodies to not be over-ran in midfield and potentially 3 attacker flying into the box to meet a cross.

Nope, Bris would never say that.

Archived