Is Lee Grant good enough !

twinthe_12

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last season I watched two Derby County goalkeepers make a succession of mistakes, fail to come for crosses, have poor distribution both throwing and kicking, and fail to dominate their area and those around them as well as get beaten by a number of shots from outside the area.

This season I've seen a Derby goalkeeper make several excellent saves in each match, dominate his area and shout and dominate his defenders, kick and throw the ball to his own teammates on a regular basis and get beaten on one occasion when perhaps he might, in a perfect world, have stopped a long range shot, albeit on a crap night for goalkeepers, wet and with a skiddy surface, and with a ball that bounced right in front of him. On the same night I saw said goalkeeper make several excellent saves and clear the ball from his area on a number of occasions from dangerously struck freekicks and corners. We won a point at a ground where we have failed to get anything in the past.

The first two keepers were Frank Fielding and Lego. The latter is Lee Grant. Anyone who bothers to ask whether he is good enough on the basis of what we have seen so far is, in my very humble opinion, a plonker of the highest order.

I'm dissapointed about his play in goal this season.

His play has been usecure in holding the balls and too many goals has slipped through because of him

Do you think we should find anoher keeper or should we let Adam Legzdins or Saul Deeney get a chance ?

I said this so many times, Saul Deeney was the worse keeper I have ever seen at Hucknall Town, this coming from a team that shipped over 150 goals last season. Also Clough said when Grant signed that if Grant got injured or suspended that a loan would come in, so he doesn't have much faith in him being a "number 1" does he.

This is closest I can find to back this up at the moment

IMO Grant might be a bit disappointed with the two goals at Bolton but this season I think he has been steady and he will only get better as he settles back in.

Before today I thought the guy who made this was clueless. After watching him closely today I feel disappointed with his performance - I expected a lot more from a very experienced goalkeeper. The 1st and 3rd goal should have been dealt with better

Some fault for all goals

First one he drifted towards the ball - he should have stayed in a position ready for the ball to come back in and able to react. As it is when he had to turn round and the ball was past him before he set himself

The second he should have anticipated it going to his right - the defender was blocking a shot to the bear post

The third, stay back a bit more than he did. The defender was covering it was always going to be a scuffed finished. If he'd hung back a bit and set himself he would have had time to react.

That said for the first two other players should have done better too

It's got to be a thankless task playing behind our defence at the minute, half the goals conceded are through defensive errors and today's were no exception.

Which of our defenders were at fault for the goals today?

I have Eustace, Russell and Bryson... last time I checked none of these played in defense, I could be wrong though. 

Which of our defenders were at fault for the goals today?

I have Eustace, Russell and Bryson... last time I checked none of these played in defense, I could be wrong though. 

Smith was more at fault for the third goal for me. Hesitated wen he should have got to the ball first easily. 

Archived