James O'Connor

CumbrianRam

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob Malcolm had one of the strongest debuts I have ever seen, perhaps the strongest infact. 

He was amazing vs wolves.. real quality, then got injured - and then played in the premier league, looked unfit and nervy.

Disappointing really, similar with Chris Porter who was fantastic against Swansea, got injured.. never could get fit again, and shipped out. 

How disappointed must he be? POY as a RB and didn't get a chance to show what he can do there. It's not excatly his fault his was played out of natural position and I'm pretty sure thats one of biggest reason for mistakes he made.

Wis him well (and wish we get him out of our wage bill too).

Good point fella.

Daryl fookin Powell, everyone loved him, I thought he just used to run round like a bloody headless chicken. Sorry if I'm biased I could not stand him!

As far as O'Connor is concerned he isn't a bad player at all, just didn't happen for him here and, as someone else pointed out, he barely got a game in his first choice position. To even suggest he is the worst player to pull on a Derby shirt is just plain stupid.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/James-O-Connor-looks-set-join-City-Derby-County/story-19690337-detail/story.html#axzz2chDTBlVD

BRISTOL City head coach Sean O'Driscoll expects his interest in Nicky Shorey and James O'Connor to bring out the best in full-backs Brendan Moloney and Greg Cunningham.

Both have been ever-present in a Robins back four that has conceded nine goals in three League One outings this season.

Eager to bolster a squad that is thin in certain areas, O'Driscoll has sent a clear message to his young full-backs by inviting the more experienced O'Connor and Shorey to train with the club this week.

Keen to provide cover and competition for Moloney and Cunningham, O'Driscoll is expected to offer contracts to both trialists ahead of the September 2 transfer deadline.

O'Driscoll has made no secret of his desire to recruit another right-back during this transfer window and O'Connor is a player he knows well, having managed him at both Bournemouth and Doncaster Rovers.

In the final year of his contract at Derby County, O'Connor is one of seven players made available for transfer by Rams boss Nigel Clough. The 28-year-old is surplus to requirements at Pride Park and City could pick him up for a nominal fee.

O'Connor trained with the Robins on Tuesday and was due back at City's Failand training headquarters today to work with the first-team squad. He wants to play regular first-team football and is prepared to drop into League One, rather than see out his Derby contract sat in the stands.

A trainee with Aston Villa as a youngster, Birmingham-born O'Connor signed for O'Driscoll at Bournemouth in January 2005 and carved out a reputation as a tough-tackling defender, capable of playing in either full-back role.

Dave Penney took him to Doncaster in May 2006 and O'Connor had only been in Yorkshire a few months when O'Driscoll moved north to take over as boss at the Keepmoat Stadium.

O'Connor made 215 appearances for Doncaster before joining Derby for an undisclosed fee in 2012. But he has found first-team opportunities hard to come by, playing just 22 times since arriving at Pride Park 13 months ago.

Archived