How big are Derby?

Bridgford Ram

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the posters on this thread whom have said you cannot measure the damage that one season did to us in the Premier League, we are still reeling under the impact and will be for many many years to come - I hold Davies partly accountable for that, Jewell just compounded the mistakes Davies made. The Scots midget still has a lot to answer for.

How many of those teams were outstanding the season they were promoted? They did the necessary to get promoted. That is all. 23 wins and 23 losses and you  are in the play offs. You in no way have to be a good team. You win 5-6 matches you no-where near deserved to win which makes the difference. How many matches did we do so last season, probably 2-3. So the difference for us never was about ability it was about luck. 

Watch as Billy at Forest gathers points like a hungry hippo even when Forest play terrible. 

We've had debates on how much was made and it appears not a lot. Although Peter Gadsby (yes I said it) kept development rights for the Plaza and it us his company that's doing the work on it.

fair enough I won't get embroiled with it all! :)

Have these clubs been better run by a chairman willing to back his manager, have they been bankrolled? Are they managed better than Clough does for us or have they had a lucky break somewhere along the way? Or, am I just deluded to think that Derby are as big as the teams mentioned above?

What do you guys think?

A combination of all of the above and more.

Poor board who knew nothing of football with an inflexible finance structure.

Poor management.

A fan base willing to accept mediocrity.

You could add a dozen clubs from the Championship who have gone above us in the last 6 years in terms of ambition and fan's expectations.

We have the potential to be bigger than all of those clubs, but not with the current set up.

This^

I've always wondered what would have happened if we had been relegated in 08/09. All of our best players would have left sooner rather than later and the wage bill would have been reduced a lot quicker than it eventually took. Then Clough would have been in his element, picking up bargains from the lower leagues.

That's all that could be guaranteed in that scenario, but it certainly would have been interesting.  

Interesting "what if" scenario. I tend to agree - I think we'd have been closer to going back to the Premier had we gone down & been able to trim deadwood quicker. But then you look at clubs like Leeds, Forest, Sheff Utd who have really struggled to come back from L1 & it sends a shiver down my spine. There's also undoubtedly a loss of prestige dropping to the 3rd level.

As to the original question, I think we're a big club for this division. In terms of England as a whole, we're a large-medium club with a rich history. Whenever I've seen forum debates about an ideal Premiership based on size of club, history or fanbase, Derby are almost always included. One of the (many) reasons I tend to look down on Leicester is that they are almost never included.

I also think the inclusion of Sunderland in the clubs we should be at least emulating is a bit disrespectful. They're a seriously well supported club - capable of 40k plus crowds without breaking too much of a sweat which is well beyond our current supporter base. The others on the list are just well run - we simply haven't been since 2000.

What does it matter how 'big' the club are?

We love it regardless. Like your own kids or spouse.

Personally I couldn't care less if we don't get another mention in the media or what other people think of us. Someone once asked me when the last time Derby County mattered was. I told him they matter every day to me and I don't care about anyone else.

What is it, 10 of the last eleven season in the Championship?

I think it is fair to say we are an established Championship side.  Maybe we can change that in the future, but it is hard to argue with. 

People will talk about our history etc.m but where do you draw the line.  Preston and Blackpool were huge once, are they big clubs now?  If they are not why would we be just because our success came a little later?

Sorry is it just me who isn't buying this "hangover from worst prem season". The only people who I have known to mention it are a portion of fans who seem to want to use it to excuse our current stagnation. No fans of any other club around me (London and surrounds) even register Derby with worst prem. Most of them are surprised if I mention it. Why? Because we don't matter to them. When we talk about Derby it's generally them wondering why we're going nowhere and nothing is changing at the club.

We're talking about something that happened in 07/08 and its now the 13/14 season. It happened that long ago and yet still gets out out there as an excuse why we continue to be where we are. Nothing about our club, bar the fans and facilities, are the same.

I'm tired of reading this sort of thing and others too. The stuff on here that is spouted "Blackburn haven't win yet I know, but they will" what? What is their future form got to do with anything? We didn't play them in the future. "We scored just before half time, that was a problem" so are we the only team that suffers from this problem as usually it's "we conceded just before half time, that's always a bad time to concede". There's more but I could be here a while.

We are an average championship side due to having an average investment in players, an average manager and the majority of our players being average. No great mystery. It's not linked to events 6 years ago, there's no new gypsy curse. Mystery solved, stop looking for excuses.

In terms of support at home we used to be one the best supported clubs in the country. However, that counts for nothing. What matters is investment, ambition and quality of the squad. Sadly the whole club still has an air of mediocrity and stagnation about it because we do not have the requisite investment, ambition and quality. A significant number of fans have drifted away from the club as attendances clearly show and I think it will get worse very quickly if this season shapes up like the last few under Clough. I know its only a few games into the season but I sense that if he doesn't do the business this campaign, the back end of this season will see a near collapse in fans support of the club. I wouldn't be surprised to see average gates drop to around 17,000 to 18,000. We are not a big club; we are smaller than the likes of Southampton, Norwich, West Brom and Swansea to name but a handful. This is because they have given their fans something to believe in, they have invested properly and significantly in quality players and have employed good managers to get them where they wanted to go, which inspires fans to turn up. We on the other hand have penny pinched,employed a very average manager and have got no more than we deserved. We are simply a dull average mid-table Championship club, no more no less.

In terms of support at home we used to be one the best supported clubs in the country. However, that counts for nothing. What matters is investment, ambition and quality of the squad. Sadly the whole club still has an air of mediocrity and stagnation about it because we do not have the requisite investment, ambition and quality. A significant number of fans have drifted away from the club as attendances clearly show and I think it will get worse very quickly if this season shapes up like the last few under Clough. I know its only a few games into the season but I sense that if he doesn't do the business this campaign, the back end of this season will see a near collapse in fans support of the club. I wouldn't be surprised to see average gates drop to around 17,000 to 18,000. We are not a big club; we are smaller than the likes of Southampton, Norwich, West Brom and Swansea to name but a handful. This is because they have given their fans something to believe in, they have invested properly and significantly in quality players and have employed good managers to get them where they wanted to go, which inspires fans to turn up. We on the other hand have penny pinched,employed a very average manager and have got no more than we deserved. We are simply a dull average mid-table Championship club, no more no less.

And of course some fairly dull supporters who only come out when they lose. :)

Archived