How big are Derby?

Bridgford Ram

Nobody could argue against Billy Davies being a top Championship manager but his recruitment of players for our brief stay in the top league was an absolute disaster. I am not complaining about their skill levels and agree that most had good experience. The fact is though that the character of many of them was appalling - they were just there for the payday. That is where I prefer the Clough way of doing things - little money to spend but get players in who will work for each other with no disruptive elements in the team.

I know I'll get kicked for this but Billy Davies was a good Championship manager (which he replicated) for us and an inexperienced Premiership manager. His vacation after our promotion was moronic and egotistical but the relationship with the board was already blown by then anyway. I agree with bcnram; Clough is building slowly but surely on one of the lower spends in the Championship and (not sure if it's the case this season) has always had one of the smallest squads too. The theory is that, when we next get to the premiership, it will be with a more solid foundation. Even then we have to recognise the gap between clubs like us and those with cash from seasons in the EPL; even the pissiest non-clubs have the cash. But, per Portsmouth, the thud is huge when the smaller EPL clubs fall down.

Unless we can find ourselves a rich benefactor, the patience strategy seems to be the wisest one to me.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived