Derby County v West Bromwich Albion

CumbrianRam

There was a steward on a mission all afternoon. Lots of empty seats so it should have been pretty much sit where you like.

Anyway, I only moved over a block mid match didn't I... well, big f*cking mistake, over he comes and sits down right next to me. "Alright mate" I said in between watching the game and shouting "pass" to Jamie.

"I'm alriiight" he said - Here we go, I thought.

"Where's your seat?" he asked

"Somewhere up there" I pointed

"Where's your ticket"

"In the bin" I replied

"Why shouldn't I kick you out?" He snarled

"Why would you?" I laughed

"Hmmmm people seem to think they can sit where they want" he snapped

"Good saaaaave"

Derby should warn all SWA's - Stewards with attitude's

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's quite funny a lot of fans think we're going to make the play offs this season.

I thought there was a bit of hope a few weeks ago, now Im thinking, what is really different from last season? One extra striker who could be anything at this level. Take away arguably our best player in Brayford.

It's going to be the same mediocre **** churned up every season.

I'm not saying this on the back of a friendly defeat, but just thinking, what has really improved from last season?

Grant 7 - Decent performance. Can't be blamed for the 2 goals and made a few decent saves

Freeman 6 - Could tell he was nervous. Wasn't confident when on the ball and positioning wise wasn't the best at times

Keogh 7 - He made a few good interceptions and good in the air

Buxton 6 - Typical Buxton... OK defender but terrible when the ball was at his feet. Also lost out a few times in the air

Forsyth 6 - Steady. Don't think he is too bad defensively and at least he tries to get forward and put a cross in

Hendrick 5 - I keep on saying we need to get a right winger in and the fact that we played Hendrick there proves this. Couldn't even tell he was playing at times, but he isn't a RM

Bryson 6 - Good energy but not much else

Hughes 6 - He looked ok first half, a lot of 5 yard passes as you would expect, kept possesion well. 2nd half we didn't keep the ball at all so naturally quiet

Ward 5 - Dissapointing. There have been a lot of people saying he looks disinterested in pre season and this was the first game I've had chance to watch it myself. He wasn't bothered most of the time, He's probably disappointed at being stuck out wide again and it shows 

Russell 7 - His touch is very good and has a good turn of pace. Hard to judge him because he didn't have many chances to show what he can do, however against championship opposition it looks like he will create problems

Martin 7 - Few decent touches and showed good strength at times. I could see his moobs wobbling when he sprinted though, I thought he would have been in better shape.

Sammon 7 - Impressive when he came on. Only had 15 minutes but he looked lively, strong and wasn't afraid to shoot

Jacobs 5 - Can't really remember him doing anything

B.Davies 6 - Was an improvement on Freeman attacking wise as soon as he came on. Put a few OK crosses in.

Overall was disappointing. WBA didn't try very hard and came away comfortable winners. 1st half we kept the ball well but just couldn't create anything, other than a Will Hughes shot from range I can't remember another chance that we had. Their goal was a good strike we seemed to fall asleep defensively as no one was there to challenge him and the defence stood off. 2nd half was all West Brom, they kept the ball well and looked like the Prem team. 

I know it was a tough game and I wasn't expecting us to win but I still came away feeling negative... There just wasn't anything exciting going forward and was just a dull game. 

I would say a RB is the main priority and a right winger aswell as a CB. I'm not bothered if any are loans as long as we show a bit of ambition and actually show that we are going for it instead of falling into another boring season of mid table football. Might say I'm over reacting because it was just a friendly and against a prem side but nothing today said to me that we are going to be challenging for the play offs.

It's quite funny a lot of fans think we're going to make the play offs this season.

I thought there was a bit of hope a few weeks ago, now Im thinking, what is really different from last season? One extra striker who could be anything at this level. Take away arguably our best player in Brayford.

I'm not saying this on the back of a friendly defeat, but just thinking, what has really improved from last season?

Nothing but blind optimism...

There is absolutely nothing to suggest we'll finally start being positive away from home or get some better results, nothing to suggest Russel will be any more prolific than Theo, nothing to suggest Sammon will start taking his chances, nothing to suggest our back 5 will start keeping clean sheets, nothing to suggest Bryson will start bossing a midfield, nothing to suggest our next RB will be able to carry Coutts, nothing to suggest Ward will stay injury free etc etc..

Nothing but blind optimism.. But I guess that's what fans do, they ignore the reality and live in cloud cuckoo land..

But you know what, good on them.. Football would be an awful spectator sport if the spectators didn't believe in the unlikeliness..

Went yesterday and there was a bit too much tippy tappy passing 25 yards out, possibly because we were too narrow. The biggest issue I had yesterday was Ward. Not interested in the slightest it seemed. He made a 'clearance' in the 2nd half that would've been criticised in an under 11's match. Oh and I would also like to put at least 30% of the blame for their second at his door. After it had gone in i looked to see how Jones had so much space and it was because Ward was in the centre circle. If he was positioned nearer to the touchline supporting Forsyth like heaven forbid a left sided player, WBA wouldn't have passed to Jones or even if they did there would've been a greater chance of stopping the attack. IMO.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest we'll finally start being positive away from home or get some better results, nothing to suggest Russel will be any more prolific than Theo, nothing to suggest Sammon will start taking his chances, nothing to suggest our back 5 will start keeping clean sheets, nothing to suggest Bryson will start bossing a midfield, nothing to suggest our next RB will be able to carry Coutts, nothing to suggest Ward will stay injury free etc etc..

Nothing but blind optimism.. But I guess that's what fans do, they ignore the reality and live in cloud cuckoo land..

But you know what, good on them.. Football would be an awful spectator sport if the spectators didn't believe in the unlikeliness..

Nothing but blind pessimism...

But I guess that's what fans do that never watch their team, ceefax boy.

But you know what, good on ya.. Football doesn't need awful spectators like you.

Why is it a 'only post if you went policy'?

Well, kind of, yeah. Any statement without actually being there would be at best an informed guess.

Kind of like reviewing a movie without actually seeing it. Or with only the sound if you were listening to commentary.

First time I have seen us pre-season and was quite impressed first half. Second half neither team seemed interest which was hardly surprising when it was so hot and just a week before the season kicks off.

My take on the team:-

Grant - made a couple of decent saves and stopped Long when he went through one on one. Not at fault for either goal

Freeman - looked steady defensively, didn't offer much going forward but every moved seemed to go down the left

Buxton - Lost a few balls in the air early on but didn't do much wrong other than that

Keogh - Same as Buxton. Got a few decents blocks and interceptions in

Forsyth - Reasonably steady defensively but beaten way too easily for second goal. Looks decent going forward and put a few decent crosses in

Hendrick - completely wasted on the right hand side, should be in the middle putting himself about, he's a strong lad and should be bossing the midfield

Bryson - usual energy with not much more to add

Hughes - pretty poor by his standards, a few wayward passes and poor first touch a few times

Ward - can't remember him doing anything worth mentioning

Martin - fantastic first touch and puts himself about, linked up well with Russell

Russell - fast and skillful, looks a really exciting prospect

Subs:-

Davies - looked very good when he came on at right back, definitely gives a more attacking option in that position

Jacobs - looked lively, still needs to work on his crossing. Should have scored

Sammon - looked full of confidence when he came on and gave the defence some problems

Overall, I didn't think there was much between the two teams. I think at times we still try to hard to pass/wlak the ball into the net rather than testing the opposition keeper.

As you rightly point out, a striker. One who looks capable of scoring a few goals & getting us some reward for all the decent stuff we play.

A better goalkeeper than last year.

Hendrick & Hughes one year further on in their development. Not to be underestimated.

A gritty experienced midfield player to help shore up games away from home late on.

And in theory a bit of cash from the Brayford deal to bring in a quality CB alongside Keogh.

p.s. I really wouldn't have classed Brayford as our best player. This isn't a knee-jerk hindsight assessment now he's gone - good player of course, loved his attacking raids but I don't think he was that great defensively & Hughes is a lot more influential to our overall play. My humble opinion of course.

That's a post I expect to see 10 games into a season when it's not going well, not after 5 pre-season games.

Everything you mention in that middle paragraph could be argued for or against at the mo. There's no substance.

Bris can you upload the footage please??

Except for the 10 minutes when he was on the toilet.

We don't want to see that bit.

Nothing but blind pessimism...

But I guess that's what fans do that never watch their team, ceefax boy.

But you know what, good on ya.. Football doesn't need awful spectators like you.

Blind pessimism?

Are you for real?.. I'm going on the back of the last 5 years of solid facts.. Yet you live in cloud cuckoo land if you think otherwise..

Ceefax is never wrong..

That's a post I expect to see 10 games into a season when it's not going well, not after 5 pre-season games.

Everything you mention in that middle paragraph could be argued for or against at the mo. There's no substance.

Erm try the last 5 years for substance..

What makes you think all of those facts in the middle have changed? On the back of 5 pre-season games..

Well, kind of, yeah. Any statement without actually being there would be at best an informed guess.

Kind of like reviewing a movie without actually seeing it. Or with only the sound if you were listening to commentary.

Erm how about watching a movie at the cinema? Without actually being there in the production studio? Or do they not count?

Erm how about watching a movie at the cinema? Without actually being there in the production studio? Or do they not count?

Well that would be parallel to watching the game.

The production side would be like sitting in on team meetings and training sessions ahead of the game.

You have done neither of these.

Archived