Derby County v West Bromwich Albion

CumbrianRam

I thought I'd throw my two pennies worth into the hat just for the hell of it.

We had nothing down the right hand site, Hendrick was supposed to play there but spent most of his time in central midfield, meaning that whenever WBA attacked down our right hand side, Freeman was left completely exposed. I watched Freeman quite closely, and although Hendrick didn't help him out to often I thought he handled himself pretty well.

There first goal was an absolute belter - which unfortunately Grant couldn't do anything about, but I felt their second one could of been avoided, with better marking from our defenders.

Ratings:

Grant 7 - Made a couple of decent saves, kicking was alright and came for crosses pretty well.

Freeman 6 - Doesn't have the same attacking impetus as Brayford but I thought his defending was pretty good.

Keogh 7 - Good in the air, vocal and his passing was good as well.

Buxton 5 - Too slow, lost 80% of his headers, but his passing was good.

Forsyth 6 - Linked up relatively well with Ward and attacked well down the left, put in a couple of decent crosses.

Hendrick 4 - He's not a right midfielder, never has been, never will be. Drifted inside too often, hoping he doesn't start out there against Blackburn - we're a man down if we are.

Bryson 6 - Better in the first half, linked up well with Russell and Martin and put himself about. Kept the ball moving, but quieter in the second half.

Hughes 6 - First half very good, second half poor. Showed a few neat touches, and played a few excellent balls - unlucky not to score.

Ward 5 - Frustrating for me. Took his man on a lot, but he seems to have this illusion that anything he hits will go into the top corner. Gets a free-kick just outside the box, hammers it as hard as he can straight into the wall. Needs to cop on!

Russell 6 - Tried and tried to make something happen, but he came up against a very good back four who kept him quiet, didn't get an opportunity really to score.

Martin 7 - My MOTM, made a nuisance of himself and linked up well with Russell and especially Bryson and Hughes in midfield. Certainly an improvement on last season.

Sammon 6 - Was good for his short time of the pitch and his pace and strength made him a nuisance for the defenders, his touch was a lot better than last season as well. (Not sure if that was by luck or skill)

Jacobs 4 - Should of scored, didn't do owt else except miss a goal-scoring opportunity.

B.Davies 5 - Gave away a few free-kicks, one which led to the second goal, but was alright at right back.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West Brom was a good test for the lads and shows us how far we have to go if we want to compete in the prem.

We competed with them for 90 minutes and made a game of it. They are much better than any other team in the championship this season, i reckon they might even be knocking on the door of the europa league . Anelka is still a beast.

what_words_really_mean_640_03

I guess that means that I have carte blanche to continue to use sarcasm against you then, Bris.

Cheers buddy.

Re kicking, wasn't Ben Foster's distribution the worst that we have seen in some time at Pride Park?

He kicked the ball straight into touch EIGHT TIMES (I counted them - how anal is that?).

I see a few people are beginning to agree with me on Martin. Class act and will make double figures in goals and assists this season.

Best first touch alongside Hughes.

Upped his fitness and looks stronger.

Although by all accounts Sammon was very good in his spell today and will give Clough a dilemma.

Why is it a 'only post if you went policy'?

No bris, but your not entitled to make stupid comments on the game when you weren't even there. Most people ask how the match went but you give a full description of how **** & negative we are from 1000's of miles away.

That's like me saying don't go to America cos it's ****, even though iv'e never been but I heard it once.

Re kicking, wasn't Ben Foster's distribution the worst that we have seen in some time at Pride Park?

He kicked the ball straight into touch EIGHT TIMES (I counted them - how anal is that?).

That's strange, he's usually very good. Mind you we've still got a load of pre-season to go.

No bris, but your not entitled to make stupid comments on the game when you weren't even there. Most people ask how the match went but you give a full description of how **** & negative we are from 1000's of miles away.

That's like me saying don't go to America cos it's ****, even though iv'e never been but I heard it once.

So you have to be there to make comments (regardless of whether they're good or rubbish?)

That's strange, he's usually very good. Mind you we've still got a load of pre-season to go.

He kept trying to find the full-backs or wide midfield players with his goal kicks - and he would have as well if they had been sitting in row C. Just a case of over-hitting. His open play distribution was better.

He kept trying to find the full-backs or wide midfield players with his goal kicks - and he would have as well if they had been sitting in row C. Just a case of over-hitting. His open play distribution was better.

He's got 3 weeks to tune up :D Normally he's spot on. We were playing playing Blackburn the season he was on loan to us. He picked out Ridgwell with a goalkick and the ball was in rovers's net seconds later

As emj said, we just looked like last season - knocked the ball around nicely enough but no end product and poor final ball/set piece. Defenders can defend but cant distribute. Midfield looked wrong with Hendrick stuck out on the right. Bryson was his usual everywhere, Hughes tried to influence play but couldn't. Ward was as ward is, enjoyable and frustrating in the same breath.

Of the new boys, Martin impressed me more than Russell, who looked busy but hung onto the ball too much. He should get more joy out of lesser defenders though. Martin looks like he's trimmed down, his control and ability to find pockets of space was excellent.

Freeman and Forsyth did fine, nice to see Granty back.

West Brom at no stage really got out of second gear; I was impressed by them tbh, they look a quality side.

If I was looking for a real clarion call for a charge towards the season with a heart bursting with optimism, I didn't get it today.

So you have to be there to make comments

No but you comment on things you have no idea about, you just throw them in and hope for the best, anyone who says we played negatively obviously didn't go. We were just beaten by a better side.

I might be so bold in saying we had the better chances over the 90min, certainly some good attacking play between martin and Russell.

Stop talking dribble, your obviously doing it for effect.

I think it showed how far we are off being anywhere near a prem side. They quite simply had better players all over the pitch.

I agree that there is a huge difference between being a half-decent championship side and being a premier league side.

I would go as far as saying there is a huge difference between being a promoted championship side and a premier league side. It's a different world, and a different game. That may also explain why, all too often, premier league teams who drop down struggle to adjust.

No but you comment on things you have no idea about, you just throw them in and hope for the best, anyone who says we played negatively obviously didn't go. We were just beaten by a better side.

I might be so bold in saying we had the better chances over the 90min, certainly some good attacking play between martin and Russell.

Stop talking dribble, your obviously doing it for effect.

What if you watched the game on TV and said we were negative?

Or doesn't that count either?

Archived