Conor Doyle

CumbrianRam

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't the owners based out of Colorado?  This would make a ton of sense from that perspective.  And the Rams could probably make a quick buck if some MLS team actually gets interested.  Hell, if this does happen, I'll probably make a trip up to KC when they play Colorado and hopefully watch him play.  That would be neat enough to see an actual Ram in person.  Even if he is considered crap.

GSE are in Michigan. Our former Commercial Director Tim Hinchey is at Colorado Rapids and is still very close to GSE so there is the connection.

Isn't this a reason to be worried? He's nearly 22, and rarely breaking into the 18 man squad, never mind the starting 11. Unfortunately he hasn't got what it takes to be a championship player.

Players develop at different rates... Ben Davies spent most of his time in the lower leagues but I think he's good enough for the championship... Also, some players benefit from first team time when they're not quite ready, others don't... He could be developing nicely behind the scenes for all we know...

No idea why Clough signed him to a new contract, do you also rate Saul Deeney? Give me an academy product like Kwane Thomas and Mats Morch over them two anyday of the week.

Deeney... Dunno... Have barely seen him play... I have third hand evidence that he's average...

And I've never seen anything of Thomas... hopefully he's quality, but I don't know having never seen him play... Give him a season of playing regularly in the first team and THEN I'll make up my mind...

TobyWanKenobi

You have to remember that with US Americans, because of their MLS Draft system, their first years of professional football are at the age of 21 and 22, when they have graduated college, this puts US youngsters at a step behind European players in their development. If Connor had gone through the college system, he would only have just started at an MLS club in 2012 or 2013.

If he were to go into an MLS team now, slotting in with other Americans at his age, he would have vastly more experience.

So given he was stranded in the US system for most of his life, this should be the time where he starts showing something of first team ability, which given he has a year on his contract, makes sense. A loan move back to the states makes sense, to see if his time in England has put him above others in his age group.

It's one reason that the US U-20 team is so poor, and the level up, is the U-23 team (which is still considered a 'youth team', rather than the U-21.

The Conor Doyle experiment depending on it's outcome could in future be cited as an example of why the Draft system either does or does not work very well.

Well CLough said things were complicated with the MLS - this is what he menat. I cant make head nor tail of it.

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2013/07/derby-county-forward-conor-doyle-may-be-option-second-half-season

With the international transfer window opening up on July 9, one player that could be an option for the Colorado Rapids is American forward Conor Doyle.

The 21-year-old has been training with the Rapids during his offseason from Derby County in the English Championship. When he re-signed with the Rams in May, the club expressed interest in loaning the Texas-native to get him playing time. Derby manager Nigel Clough recently re-iterated those wishes to the media in England.

Doyle likes the thought of staying with the Rapids.

"The guys have been great, really accepting of me and I've really enjoyed my time so far," Doyle told ColoradoRapids.com. "It excites me - the idea of playing, in general, would excite any player. But I've been here for a month, and getting to know these guys, it would be fun to get to stay here and help this organization."

Colorado Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo told ColoradoRapids.com that the League and Derby County are in negotiations over a potential loan of Doyle to MLS.

If an agreement is reached, what remains to be seen is which MLS Player Acquisition Rule would apply to Doyle, who has represented the U.S. at the Under-20 level.

If Doyle enters MLS through the Weighted Lottery process - as many other former youth internationals have - then, according to the MLS Player Acquisition rules posted on MLSsoccer.com, the Rapids might not be eligible to participate since they won the rights to Charles Eloundou via the same lottery in March. The public rules state that if a team wins the rights to one player via the Lottery, they cannot participate in another lottery until all teams select a player via the lottery or unless all other teams pass on another lottery-eligible player.

However, if Doyle is made available through a Waiver Draft, the Rapids would be eligible to participate. The Waiver Draft is determined by points per game, and if a team wins the rights to a player in a given year via the Waiver Draft, that team would be moved to the bottom of the order for future eligible players during the season. Teams may also opt out of Waiver Drafts.

Last week, Jared Jeffrey, another former U.S. Under-20 player, was claimed by D.C. United via the Waiver Draft after all teams declined to take part in a Lottery for his rights, according to MLSsoccer.com.

Rapids coach Oscar Pareja is patiently waiting to see how things work out with Doyle.

"Conor has done well," Pareja said. "The first few weeks he had a period of adaptation, but he's a serious player who works hard and knows what the job requires here. I see him with a lot of desire and that's important for the group. At this moment they're trying to work things out with the League and Derby. He's a player that could give us a hand."

I watch a fair bit of MLB...some of the American trading system is very confusing

Seems like it depends what kind of player Doyle is designated as...then Colorado may (or may not) be able to sign him

Perhaps due to the age, you have to go through the MLS to 'loan' the player to the system, and then a team can select him.

Some of the rules are just crazy in terms of player selection, but most of this is born of the salary caps in place. There's also the Designated Player Rule, created to try and lure the better players to head to the MLS. Designated players have special dispensation to have wages exceeding the cap. Seattle Sounders - the MLS team I follow - have Obafemi Martins, as well as Mauro Rosales and Shalrie Joseph.

Vancouver Whitecaps on the other hand  - Kenny Miller.

I get the idea behind the system to restrict clubs from buying all the talent and becoming a one or two horse race, but it just seems confusing and poorly executed with a whole draft system that I cant even begin to understand

• 2 weeks later...

Archived