Demand Based Pricing - fair or not? Fans' survey.

Striker505

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

60 turnstiles = 60 more matchday employees just to collect the dish, additional security, secure premises for cash counting etc.

Eddie, the point was that  the price of the ticket is the price above the turnstile, not sum byzantine calculation formulated by an actuary on our books on 100 grand a year trying to calculate the optimum price of a ticket based on if its raining or not 3 months into the future

Eddie, the point was that  the price of the ticket is the price above the turnstile, not sum byzantine calculation formulated by an actuary on our books on 100 grand a year trying to calculate the optimum price of a ticket based on if its raining or not 3 months into the future

Sorry - I misunderstood (easily done). It was Mostyn putting me off with his lesbian wedding elopement.

Bring back the man on the turnstile and make all tickets £20-£25 ON THE FRIGGING GATE.

I have said before that by and large the view is good in PP wherever you sit. That being the case why all the complicated pricing? As Private said why not standardise adult prices and standardise concessions and see, at the right price, if they can fill the ground. I would say charge £20.00 up to one week before K.O then £25.00 for the final week and just stick to the same price up to kick off.

The whole idea of demand based ticketing just smacks of scalping, remember fondly getting a ticket for an Ashes series at Trent Bridge off some guy outside the ground charging me 4 times the face value of the ticket as he knew if I wanted to go in I had no choice, dont see much difference with Derby, they put the prices up to whatever they feel like on the day and if you want to go and watch then you have to pay the inflated price, simple. 

The whole idea of demand based ticketing just smacks of scalping, remember fondly getting a ticket for an Ashes series at Trent Bridge off some guy outside the ground charging me 4 times the face value of the ticket as he knew if I wanted to go in I had no choice, dont see much difference with Derby, they put the prices up to whatever they feel like on the day and if you want to go and watch then you have to pay the inflated price, simple.

They are not ticket touts, they dont out the price up, they reduce it to begin with..

Just out of interest, do you mind if I ask why you didn't still go to games? (no judgement here, just interested)

The tickets on the day were of a similar (taking inflation into account) as previous seasons... Buying in advance made the tickets cheaper, but you'd never be paying more (again interest) then previous years even if you bought on the day...

Was it a case that you didn't like the idea that you were paying full price when you could have got it cheaper in advance?

(Just to explain, I work in advertising and this is interesting to me from a retail marketing POV)

From the first few games of the season my perception was that if I bought a ticket near the match day it would be very expensive, and TBH I wasn't that bothered anyway, maybe there were some cheaper tickets available later on in the season for Tuesday night games against Peterboro or whatever but by then I'd already made my mind up that they could stuff it. I've spent the last 5 years trying to keep myself and my lad going regularly through **** football and an ever worsening atmosphere and you could say it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

You can all put forward your arguments as to why they brought the pricing policy in, but it makes no difference, for me they blew it, probably for good.

They are not ticket touts, they dont out the price up, they reduce it to begin with..

That is wrong. The price on the day is equivalent to Premier League prices.

For so many years, the price was £23, £26, £29 or £32 depending on opponent. With £32 being Leeds, Forest etc.

That day v Watford, the price was £36.

You can all put forward your arguments as to why they brought the pricing policy in, but it makes no difference, for me they blew it, probably for good.

Wow. As a fan, I find that ridiculous. Cutting your nose off to spite your face over some perceived grudge against injustice.

Look at it this way. Due to work commitments or playing myself I've never had a season ticket. Before the demand based pricing was introduced I'd get to 4-5 games a season by waking up on Saturday morning with nowt to do and thinking "I think I'll pop to the match later".

Since demand based pricing has come into effect I've been to a grand total of 0...

That is wrong. The price on the day is equivalent to Premier League prices.

For so many years, the price was £23, £26, £29 or £32 depending on opponent. With £32 being Leeds, Forest etc.

That day v Watford, the price was £36.

everythign goes up......EVERYTHING.

As someone who's had a season ticket since he was 6, my year is built around Derby home games (yes, I am WELL aware of how sad this is...)

So I've never done the whole popping down to the game thing, it's always been something which is planned in advance...

However, it seems to me that if you don't have anything to do, and you fancy the football, then the price shouldn't be an issue... Or rather, it would have become an issue before you decided you fancied the football...

Edit: Actually just remembered I went to Palace away last season on pretty much a whim... Can't even remember how much it cost...

Thank you all guys, really nice discussion!  And dont forget to visit the questionary please!

https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5uJZCJrgQqt3cH3

Still need responses!

The reason of demand based pricing is quite obvious for clubs' management though. Think this way. If the team is not doing well as it was expected, and the game is moved to the inconvenient date, say, working day, it had to be an attractive fixture at the start of the season, but now it is not that attractive... That's when dynamic pricing comes into the picture... Otherwise the attendance can suffer...

The availability of cheaper advance tickets has actually got me going to games. My perception before was that the whole thing was too expensive, especially when I could get in to watch Matlock Town for two quid (my friend works on the gate).

Discovering earlier in the year that I could get in for around £15 tempted me, and I've been to every game since. Hooked now, and off to buy a season ticket today.

I am a success story, yay!

Thank you all guys, really nice discussion!  And dont forget to visit the questionary please!

https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5uJZCJrgQqt3cH3

Still need responses!

The reason of demand based pricing is quite obvious for clubs' management though. Think this way. If the team is not doing well as it was expected, and the game is moved to the inconvenient date, say, working day, it had to be an attractive fixture at the start of the season, but now it is not that attractive... That's when dynamic pricing comes into the picture... Otherwise the attendance can suffer...

Can I offer a constructive criticism? I think your questionnaire could benefit from the inclusion of slightly agree/disagree. That will however go straight into the discussion section..

Surely you need regular demand to sell out a stadium in order for demand price tickets to be effective. Derby seem to price it on the basis that about 23,000 will be their effective way of calling it a sell out.

Same price ticket for every seat in the ground, regardless of when you buy it for every game in the season. Buy tickets at any point during the season for any game. The advantage of buying early is your a better view (supposedly).

All football clubs make pricing so complicated yet Bradford City aside, I have not read about one club which made a genuine success of a particular pricing policy.

Wow. As a fan, I find that ridiculous. Cutting your nose off to spite your face over some perceived grudge against injustice.

The question wasn't aimed at you, as you'd obviously buy a ticket no matter what, so your view is immaterial.

Archived