Demand Based Pricing - fair or not? Fans' survey.

Striker505

Don't you have a debit card?

Or a telephone to ring them up and ask how much the tickets are?

If the place is shut, why would they answer the phone?

I had no reason to expect the tickets to be any different to normal prices at that point, so I'd have no thought of checking the prices.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone has said, its te same with train tickets, flight tickets and any match day ticket in the states.

Its progress, and as has been mentioned the idea is that if you buy them in advance enough times then it is cheaper...

Good on them for being so dynamic!

It's a system that works if you have a healthy cash flow and a diary that allows for long term planning - but that is what season tickets are for.

Casual fans, by remit, are generally those that decide to go on the day or are after the bigger games.  I don't believe it is fair to charge people who can buy in advance less than those on the day - it surely stifles trade in comparison to a set price for the same product.

And, as it has been mentioned, the price only goes up - I don't see any bargain bucket sales going for on the day tickets when there are 10,000 seats going spare - surely for, say bronze tickets it would make sense to sell them at £10 on the day, just to get people through the turnstiles.  As a season ticket holder, I'd rather a few cheap ones be thrown about every so often and have a full ground than a half empty one.

Maybe it would work if the demand outstripped the supply - which won't happen until the product on offer improves.

What about for the game against the red dogs... Do you still have that allocation? Makes it a bit unfair on people who are happy to buy in advance...

I agree though that there should be a reduced rate on the day for any game that's not sold out...

I haven't yet perfected my system. :(

As someone has said, its te same with train tickets, flight tickets and any match day ticket in the states.

Its progress, and as has been mentioned the idea is that if you buy them in advance enough times then it is cheaper...

Good on them for being so dynamic!

that's okay for people with either lots of personal flexibility, or a rigid lifestyle.

There are some of us who are contractually obligated to be available for work at a moment's notice who may not know until right before that we are free to attend. Some people have prior arrangements, that then get cancelled. etc...

Maybe the club should be thinking, "hey, that dude Mostyn was gonna go to a wedding today, but the bride ran off with her lesbian best friend.... hey... he could come to the match... how could we tempt him?"

It's a system that works if you have a healthy cash flow and a diary that allows for long term planning - but that is what season tickets are for.

Casual fans, by remit, are generally those that decide to go on the day or are after the bigger games.  I don't believe it is fair to charge people who can buy in advance less than those on the day - it surely stifles trade in comparison to a set price for the same product.

And, as it has been mentioned, the price only goes up - I don't see any bargain bucket sales going for on the day tickets when there are 10,000 seats going spare - surely for, say bronze tickets it would make sense to sell them at £10 on the day, just to get people through the turnstiles.  As a season ticket holder, I'd rather a few cheap ones be thrown about every so often and have a full ground than a half empty one.

Maybe it would work if the demand outstripped the supply - which won't happen until the product on offer improves.

Why would that work at all?

If it was known that the club would sell the tickets for, say, a tenner on the day to get rid of the tickets then no one would buy one in advance.

it is an expensive hobby now, and one that requires planning, budgetting etc, i know that if i lived over there and didn't have a season ticket that i would be planning months in advace exactly which games to go to and getting the tickets as cheap as i could in advance.

It is exactly what i have to do with Easy Jet and the flights over to England

To put it another way.....would you be happy if you bought a ticket for a home game in April now for 35 pounds and then on the day the seat enxt to you was sold for 10 pound.? i know i wouldn't.

it's a fair system, as fair as they can make it and at the price increase and general increase in admission charges all over are not related to this system at all.

Why would that work at all?

If it was known that the club would sell the tickets for, say, a tenner on the day to get rid of the tickets then no one would buy one in advance.

it is an expensive hobby now, and one that requires planning, budgetting etc, i know that if i lived over there and didn't have a season ticket that i would be planning months in advace exactly which games to go to and getting the tickets as cheap as i could in advance.

It is exactly what i have to do with Easy Jet and the flights over to England

To put it another way.....would you be happy if you bought a ticket for a home game in April now for 35 pounds and then on the day the seat enxt to you was sold for 10 pound.? i know i wouldn't.

it's a fair system, as fair as they can make it and at the price increase and general increase in admission charges all over are not related to this system at all.

In my opinion it's not a hobby and never has been.

If you are a fan it is an obligation - a way of life.

Well then if it is that important.....you would pay whatever/do whatever to go surely.?

I buy a season ticket, even when I'm working overseas.

Same as going to metal concerts - Download was only less than 2 weeks ago and I've already bought next year's weekend pass.

The club are on to a loser with demand based pricing whilst demand is low. Assuming that the aim is to fill the ground whilst raising the maximum amount of cash, for most games last season the tickets should have been much cheaper. However, the club know that to charge a genuine 'demand based price' for casual fans would irritate the season ticket holders. Consequently, they didn't reduce prices by enough to come close to filling the ground - in fact they bizarrely still chose to inflate prices, even though the predictive graphs must have indicated the likelihood of over 10,000 empty seats. 

Now, when/if demand picks up - and I'd say demand is driven by results, with incoming players, performances and the wider economy acting as secondary influences, the new system will really come into its own. People will start to buy early in droves and the Mostyn style shilly-shalliers will end up paying through the nose. Until then however, demand based pricing can only either drive down attendances or annoy season ticket holders.

The club are on to a loser with demand based pricing whilst demand is low. Assuming that the aim is to fill the ground whilst raising the maximum amount of cash, for most games last season the tickets should have been much cheaper. However, the club know that to charge a genuine 'demand based price' for casual fans would irritate the season ticket holders. Consequently, they didn't reduce prices by enough to come close to filling the ground - in fact they bizarrely still chose to inflate prices, even though the predictive graphs must have indicated the likelihood of over 10,000 empty seats. 

Now, when/if demand picks up - and I'd say demand is driven by results, with incoming players, performances and the wider economy acting as secondary influences, the new system will really come into its own. People will start to buy early in droves and the Mostyn style shilly-shalliers will end up paying through the nose. Until then however, demand based pricing can only either drive down attendances or annoy season ticket holders.

How very dare you?

I had 13 consecutive season tickets, followed by a two year anti-3-amigos exile (and work commitments), then two years as a steward, then 4 consecutive season tickets and am now about to enter my third season without a season ticket.

How very dare you?

I had 13 consecutive season tickets, followed by a two year anti-3-amigos exile (and work commitments), then two years as a steward, then 4 consecutive season tickets and am now about to enter my third season without a season ticket.

I was just referring to people buying tickets at the last minute - not suggesting that you're not a 'proper fan'...but if the cap fits :rolleyes:

I would normally go to around 10-12 games a season, but because of work and other commitments I wouldn't be able to buy a ticket until a few days before the game.

Due to the pricing policy last season I bought tickets to 1 game and went to one other on a complimentary.

So for me, no it hasn't worked and the club lost around £300 in revenue.

Ridiculous policy from my point of view.

You could get a 10 or 12 game plan

that's okay for people with either lots of personal flexibility, or a rigid lifestyle.

There are some of us who are contractually obligated to be available for work at a moment's notice who may not know until right before that we are free to attend. Some people have prior arrangements, that then get cancelled. etc...

Maybe the club should be thinking, "hey, that dude Mostyn was gonna go to a wedding today, but the bride ran off with her lesbian best friend.... hey... he could come to the match... how could we tempt him?"

In that case I'll do you a deal - you can have my seat and I'll run off with the bride and her lesbian lover

How very dare you?

We have an awful lot in common, Mostyn.

I too refused to put a penny in the pockets of those crooks and had two season-ticketless years.

My first season ticket was when Tim Ward was in charge, and like you I thought that it was a big mistake at the time to employ that Clough fellow - Brian, that is. Hopefully you will have an opportunity in the future to change your mind, like I did.

Bring back the man on the turnstile and make all tickets £20-£25 ON THE FRIGGING GATE.

I totally agree, we seem to be making a complex behemoth out of something that is dead simple - you turn up, you pay your wedge at the turnstile. The only reason airlines have demand based pricing IS TO EXTRACT MONEY FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS - are we at this stage yet then? What next, getting charged for every bag you bring into the ground? Having to literally spend a penny to go to the loo at half time?

I totally agree, we seem to be making a complex behemoth out of something that is dead simple - you turn up, you pay your wedge at the turnstile. The only reason airlines have demand based pricing IS TO EXTRACT MONEY FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS - are we at this stage yet then? What next, getting charged for every bag you bring into the ground? Having to literally spend a penny to go to the loo at half time?

Anyone who thinks its not a buisness is kidding themselves...

60 turnstiles = 60 more matchday employees just to collect the dish, additional security, secure premises for cash counting etc.

Archived