Nigel is currently doing his UEFA A licence

Stedcfc

The boom time is over -  what does that actually mean?

Cardiff and Hull spent absolutely loads and it got them promoted.

There is no evidence to suggest that doing it the way Derby seem to be trying to do it can work.

I must presume from this statement and your usual attitude that you think that it is Clough's fault that he is not spending 'absolutely loads'.

Well, I'm convinced. Clough, get your hands in YOUR pockets and spend 20 million of YOUR money to get us promoted this season - or else. 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FTFY.

I would have a few small reservations regarding Burley coming back, but let's not split hairs. The guy is undoubtedly a winner. Bris told me. He's never looked back after leaving Derby.

Incidentally, why was he sacked by Hearts in 2005 after winning 8 on the trot and being top of the SPL? I've never managed to get my head around that. Other than that, and leaving a relegation-bound Southampton (now back in the Prem) for the Scotland job (and doing such a great job there), his stock remains high, especially after being sacked at Crystal Palace (now back in the Prem) with them bottom of the league in 2011. His final appointment was in Cyprus, where he lasted 2 glorious months.

I would welcome George Burley back in the same way that most people would welcome Steve MacLaren back. 

I must presume from this statement and your usual attitude that you think that it is Clough's fault that he is not spending 'absolutely loads'.

Well, I'm convinced. Clough, get your hands in YOUR pockets and spend 20 million of YOUR money to get us promoted this season - or else. 

Why do you presume that?

Some of the responses to this are laughable.

These coaching badges are not a statement of quality, they are a statement of intent. Clough should have done this a long time ago. It has looked unprofessional, maybe not for fans but if the club does have this global brand idea in mind they can't sell it well if the driving force behind the team lacks the qualifications. That is the way this society is these days, it does not matter how good you might appear to be, if you do not have the relevant qualifications then you do not get very far.

Saying the course won't bring him anything new is foolish and arrogant. Much like it has been an arrogant view to think he does not need them. Who knows what he might learn from it, it could well just be a boring formality but it has to be done.

Football is a business.

just 3 million will do, let's not be unreasonable.

Eddie that song by the Beatles what was it "All you need is love "

I prefer Metallica's "And Justice For All", "Eye of the Beholder" or even "One", however, there are some on here who would probably find "Blackened", "Harvester Of Sorrow" and "The Frayed Ends Of Sanity" more to their liking.

Six perhaps apt songs dependent upon your viewpoint, one album. Three for, three against. Beat that for balance.

I don't think my post is insulting to Roy, at least no more than your belittling of Clough building Burton into a club that could make it into the football league with a structure to stay there.

That's something which no-one really seems to think of on this forum... Do we just want to get promoted (like under the mad scottish cnut) or do we want to have a team in place which can get promoted and then STAY THERE?

The first option answer is to throw money at it, the second is to build slowly and steadily with gradual improvements, like, say, we are doing? Just a thought...

And to be more on-topic... Who gives a flying tuna-fish salad about a qualification?!?!?! Who makes a better lawyer, a dude fresh outta uni with a first class degree, or some dude who's been doing the job for 15 years?

Utterly mad that people demand a piece of paper for this job... What qualifications did Brian have?

Whilst we're Burley bashing lets not forget he got Ipswich Town into Europe.

Not too shabby

No, true. 12 years ago.

He also achieved one promotion via the playoffs the season before.

Let's forget the last 10 years and concentrate on three good ones - two with Ipswich and one with us.

These things work both ways, but of course you know that. You do, don't you?

No, true. 12 years ago.

He also achieved one promotion via the playoffs the season before.

Let's forget the last 10 years and concentrate on three good ones - two with Ipswich and one with us.

These things work both ways, but of course you know that. You do, don't you?

Really what is the point in this forum?

Ok what a shocking manager Burley was I really wish I didn't renew my season ticket when he was appointed.

Is that better?

Clough's doing the course because he really don't wanna sit at home all summer being whinged at by his missus for watching Jeremy Kyle and Loose Women in his Y Fronts.

Why are loose women wearing Nigels Y Fronts  :o

Really what is the point in this forum?

Ok what a shocking manager Burley was I really wish I didn't renew my season ticket when he was appointed.

Is that better?

Now you are just being an idiot.

Welcome to the forum - you'll fit in well.

Reading through this thread it would appear that every single team who did not win promotion or a trophy this season have failed.

Arsenal failed because they only got in the Champions league, WBA failed as they are not in Europe, Brentford failed because they missed out on promotion, Burton failed even they had there best season in years but just missed out in the play offs.

Every manager at every single club has something to prove, even Billy Davies, they can't rest on there previous record they have to improve, Nigel working towards a UEFA qualification is good for him and the club. 

Hopefully he will get us promoted next season and with his new badge he can take us even further. But even if he did that you lot would still moan that was not good enough.

Even Alex Ferguson had to prove he could still do it by winning the league again this season

Archived