The Curious Case of Sam Rush

Alex W

It is all about how each individual wants to interpret to how his comments come across. If you want to put a negative slant on his comments it is spin, spiel, utter b*llocks. If you want to put a positive slant on it, he is right, awesome, idol.

My view on the comments is irrelevant, as everyone has just about said what I think, except on the "are those clubs better than us? Absolutely not!" comment as I believe he is talking about more than the football team but the club as a whole, the academy, the facilities, the ground, the board, himself. And he has a point, they are no better than us in any way shape or form (except from where it truly matters on the pitch)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First team:

Ward -> Northern Ireland

Sammon -> Ireland

Hendrick -> Ireland

Keogh -> Ireland

Fielding -> call up not so long ago

Theo -> Jamaica

Bryson -> call up last year

Doyle -> U-21

O'Brien -> U-21 (has been called up, but has he played?)

Hughes-> U-21 or 19

Bennett -> U-17

Gjokaj -> U-21

Freeman -> U-21

Okay, not full of internationals or youth internationals but he hardly lied/spinned either

I believe he is referring to us looking at players who are on free transfers. As in; just because they are free doesn't mean nobody wants them or that you don't have to pay a fee to get a good player if you can get them out of contract.

That would indeed be fine, perhaps I was nit-picking with that comment, as of course paying a fee does not represent how good a player is. Infact, that's definitely me nit-picking, it was just my initial thoughts went to the case of Sammon where I felt we'd lost a real chance to invest, which is rare for us nowadays.

Is it just me who's not interested in what our Chief exec has to say? He has to impress the Investors on behalf of GSE so he's got to "big up" the club.....its spin that's all and pretty meaningless. Its what businesses do, spout corporate cliches to try and keep the money men sweet.

Sorry if you made any decent points Alex......post was far too long to read properly on a glorious sunny Sunday evening! :D

I very nearly told everyone to ignore the thread for a beer in the sunshine till, I'd had a drink or two and arrived back when I wrote this myself! Fortunately a lack or, or too much, alcohol seems to make no difference to how much I can waffle on if hard pressed.

I've just always disliked ridiculous spin, Glick used to say "We're aiming to top six" and such but nothing quite so blatant. I'm not sure quite why it irks me so much, I knew he'd be like that (particularly after learning he was the one behind the Michael Owen brochure the other year). 

I did laugh at the chap calling me pessimistic, does no-one remember for two years I got called every name under the sun and God knows how many PM's having a go at me for being endlessly optimistic? These are not cast-iron criticisms, merely thoughts. I can stand PR, and perhaps it's just me, but over the top PR makes you look as silly as it does bring people onside.

Treat what I've said there as passing thoughts, there's nothing there to castigate a new CEO with, nor would I want to. I'd merely prefer a little less on the PR front if it's this blatantly over the top. I thought, or perhaps hoped, that with a Rugby background he'd not be quite this strong with it all.

I like the fact he took the time out to go around Pubs in Derby chatting with folk about the season, I like the fact we've clinched two deals so early (though this seems to be happening with us since last year anyway, which I entirely approve of) and I'm not judging him here. These are just things he's saying that came across as curious, though certainly with the last one I understand the angle he was intending it was not quite as I've picked up on it as. So feel free to ignore that one, though my point stands, I think, atleast from a general stand-point.

Oh, and I forgot Freeman didn't I from the Internationals list, he has a fair few caps for Wales. The problem with the whole Internationals thing is that half the Championship has this title, particularly with Home Nations players. We have no prolific players  doing that, it's only last year a fair few of our players have had the odd call-up and sub appearance here and there.

But yes, these are just thoughts, folks. Just idle thoughts. Unlike most threads with an agenda on here, I was merely making comment on some of the things said recently that were 'curious' to me. That's all. No need to throw me into a for/against bracket quite just yet, as I will of course judge him over actions, not words. It's I would prefer the words take a step back at times, like in those mentioned instances.

I've quite interested in the things Sam Rush has NOT said. I won't go into it, but I reckon others may have picked up on his refusal to answer a few questions and is side-stepping the issue and digressing into a lengthy rhetoric about the future.

What I see, when I read these comments, is a marked attempt to put a high standard in place.

Under Glick, there never seemed to be an actual (on pitch) target for Clough to aim for, other than the subjective 'improvement'.

Whilst the target may seem unrealistic to some, and the current assessment somewhat deluded, in my opinion, this is a good thing as it at least suggests where he does want and will soon demand Derby County to be.

There's been a lot said in recent days, with all the retirements in football, about 'high-standards', there has been a lot said (and not all agreed) about Derby County 'stagnating'. I'd rather have Sam Rush beating the drum for 'high standards' than nobody saying nor doing anything.... maybe it's just me.

I also think having a firm target will focus Clough and his team and staff to achieve better results. I hope Rush is a better boss for Clough than Glick was. I am quietly confident that if Clough does have anything about him as a manager, we shall start seeing it soon.

I've quite interested in the things Sam Rush has NOT said. I won't go into it, but I reckon others may have picked up on his refusal to answer a few questions and is side-stepping the issue and digressing into a lengthy rhetoric about the future.

What I see, when I read these comments, is a marked attempt to put a high standard in place.

Under Glick, there never seemed to be an actual (on pitch) target for Clough to aim for, other than the subjective 'improvement'.

Whilst the target may seem unrealistic to some, and the current assessment somewhat deluded, in my opinion, this is a good thing as it at least suggests where he does want and will soon demand Derby County to be.

There's been a lot said in recent days, with all the retirements in football, about 'high-standards', there has been a lot said (and not all agreed) about Derby County 'stagnating'. I'd rather have Sam Rush beating the drum for 'high standards' than nobody saying nor doing anything.... maybe it's just me.

I also think having a firm target will focus Clough and his team and staff to achieve better results. I hope Rush is a better boss for Clough than Glick was. I am quietly confident that if Clough does have anything about him as a manager, we shall start seeing it soon.

As someone who also likes to listen to what isn't said as much as what is said, I've picked up on the point you're trying to make Mostyn, in fact it's you as much as anyone else on here who got me questioning whether Clough would still be around after the summer.

That was until I heard Sam Rush from his own lips just last week saying that we're extremely lucky to have Clough as our manager.

I think that's the point you're trying to make and you've tried to make it stick over the last couple of weeks/month or so.. That Rush has never come out with the "Clough is our guy" comment that Glick used quite often, therefore he doesn't back him as strongly as Glick used to back him.

On the results. If they improve, do you not think it could be down to having better players or a deeper squad and nothing to do with whether Rush or anyone else sets targets. The CEO of a football club can spout all he wants, I don't think it's his job to spot the players or to mould them into a top 6 unit.  His job is to control the finances.

As well as that, If you think it's only Rush who is setting the bar higher this season, then you really must have missed most of the managerial and player interviews over the summer so far.

The message has been consistent, even from Clough who is usually averse to going public about our chances. This year we will be challenging top 6.

Have you stopped to think that maybe Rush is talking about the top 6 because he and the management actually believe we can achieve it? No setting of high standards, no setting of targets just a genuine belief that we were pretty close this year and we won't be a million miles away next.

New poster on here - been reading this thread with interest.

As far as I am concerned, it is right that points targets are put in place (and declared publicly), there's been far too much drifting going on at Derby and to the outside observer it appears that we've been settling for midtable obscurity for several seasons now.

Clough, like him or otherwise, has to deliver a team which at least mounts a serious play off challenge next season - he's had a very long time to put his own squad together and fix on his chosen style of play. In any other profession, he would be working to tough (albeit acheivable) targets.

I met Sam Rush in January just after he took over and I have to say I was impressed with him, I liked what he had to say which seemed to me more grounded in realism that I'd heard from his predecessor Tom Glick - the summary being "we need to be Top 6 and our away form is unnacceptable".

As someone who also likes to listen to what isn't said as much as what is said, I've picked up on the point you're trying to make Mostyn, in fact it's you as much as anyone else on here who got me questioning whether Clough would still be around after the summer.

That was until I heard Sam Rush from his own lips just last week saying that we're extremely lucky to have Clough as our manager.

I think that's the point you're trying to make and you've tried to make it stick over the last couple of weeks/month or so.. That Rush has never come out with the "Clough is our guy" comment that Glick used quite often, therefore he doesn't back him as strongly as Glick used to back him.

On the results. If they improve, do you not think it could be down to having better players or a deeper squad and nothing to do with whether Rush or anyone else sets targets. The CEO of a football club can spout all he wants, I don't think it's his job to spot the players or to mould them into a top 6 unit.  His job is to control the finances.

As well as that, If you think it's only Rush who is setting the bar higher this season, then you really must have missed most of the managerial and player interviews over the summer so far.

The message has been consistent, even from Clough who is usually averse to going public about our chances. This year we will be challenging top 6.

Have you stopped to think that maybe Rush is talking about the top 6 because he and the management actually believe we can achieve it? No setting of high standards, no setting of targets just a genuine belief that we were pretty close this year and we won't be a million miles away next.

Not me! I don't think I've ever mentioned it.

This is not about me, so don't turn it into what you think of my opinion! lol

New poster on here - been reading this thread with interest.

As far as I am concerned, it is right that points targets are put in place (and declared publicly), there's been far too much drifting going on at Derby and to the outside observer it appears that we've been settling for midtable obscurity for several seasons now.

Clough, like him or otherwise, has to deliver a team which at least mounts a serious play off challenge next season - he's had a very long time to put his own squad together and fix on his chosen style of play. In any other profession, he would be working to tough (albeit acheivable) targets.

I met Sam Rush in January just after he took over and I have to say I was impressed with him, I liked what he had to say which seemed to me more grounded in realism that I'd heard from his predecessor Tom Glick - the summary being "we need to be Top 6 and our away form is unnacceptable".

I would agree entirely chap with everything you've said, it's more the exact comments I've flagged up than Mr Rush setting targets, or indeed the man in general, that I've found strange. And while the finance point I made is probably valid, the quote will have been given in regard to free transfers not exactly meaning poor signings, which is entirely true. 

The comparison to other clubs comment I hope is in regard to general club size, as to say we have a similiar squad strength, nor indeed have had the same ability to improve as they have, would be entirely disagreeable.

The country's best quote I do hope is a misconstrued quote, though I grabbed it from a DET article, and usually they don't mess up direct quoting or leave it ambiguous in regard to the full quote.

And the internationals quote was probably me nit-picking again, but half of this league can claim the same, and I don't believe the odd U21 appearance here or there can qualify as an International, nor a sub appearance once so far, though it's a start.

Those were my main parts to what was probably far too long of a ramble, and don't worry, I know you haven't challenged what I've said, just tacking these onto the reply. I have not met the man, and he seems to be driving the supposed aims up, but I did have reservations about the things he has said there. I like the fact we seem to be aiming higher with more purpose, I was just a little put off by exactly how high he appears to rate our squad. Without in some quite strong tactical changes away and player recruitment in general, we will probably finish exactly where we should again, which is somewhere in mid-table.

Oh, and welcome to the forum chap! :)

CEO puts out good vibe message at the end of season - shocker!!!

How dare he! Try and make fans excited about next season and put a positive spin on things in order to generate ticket and merchandise sales. He is unbelievable.

I find it amusing that we cry "Spin" when a CEO speaks and then proceed to spin what he's said in a way that backs it up.

Just give the man a break he's doing what he's paid to do. Lets see who we sign in the summer now everyone calm down and enjoy the summer, the out landing rumours of players coming in, the over excitement at the players we do sign and the blind optimism as the new season approaches.

Personally I think he's done his job okay so far, whether we can learn a great deal about the things he's saying I'm not sure, I'm inclined to see whether his actions back up some of the rhetoric.

He has been a bit more forthright about stated targets for the season but interestingly he seems to be quite free about his opinions about specific players too. Possibly because he knows the game a lot better than Glick ever did or perhaps he's just reiterating Nigel's view on players from their discussions but I wonder if he's more cut in the mold of 'director of football' as had been proposed by the club than Clough would like.

I think he's got two critical tasks this summer - make sure we keep hold of the players we want to keep if clubs come-a-hunting and make sure that we can compete for the players Nigel wants.

If he can do these two things then it's largely 'over to you Nige'...

I would agree entirely chap with everything you've said, it's more the exact comments I've flagged up than Mr Rush setting targets, or indeed the man in general, that I've found strange. And while the finance point I made is probably valid, the quote will have been given in regard to free transfers not exactly meaning poor signings, which is entirely true. 

The comparison to other clubs comment I hope is in regard to general club size, as to say we have a similiar squad strength, nor indeed have had the same ability to improve as they have, would be entirely disagreeable.

The country's best quote I do hope is a misconstrued quote, though I grabbed it from a DET article, and usually they don't mess up direct quoting or leave it ambiguous in regard to the full quote.

And the internationals quote was probably me nit-picking again, but half of this league can claim the same, and I don't believe the odd U21 appearance here or there can qualify as an International, nor a sub appearance once so far, though it's a start.

Those were my main parts to what was probably far too long of a ramble, and don't worry, I know you haven't challenged what I've said, just tacking these onto the reply. I have not met the man, and he seems to be driving the supposed aims up, but I did have reservations about the things he has said there. I like the fact we seem to be aiming higher with more purpose, I was just a little put off by exactly how high he appears to rate our squad. Without in some quite strong tactical changes away and player recruitment in general, we will probably finish exactly where we should again, which is somewhere in mid-table.

Oh, and welcome to the forum chap! :)

My understanding is that they become an international once they get a cap. Is there a different measure?

My understanding is that they become an international once they get a cap. Is there a different measure?

Yes, I believe a full cap of any kind counts, but to classify our side as a team of internationals is pushing the boat out a little too far on that description. But anyway.

Archived