The Curious Case of Sam Rush

Alex W

I've been reading and hearing some of his comments, I'm becoming a little curious at what Mr Rush is saying. Apologies for the font mucking up on some words with these quotes, I was too lazy to re-write them, but just give thought to the bits in bold.

“We have got an excellent management team, we have got an excellent team, we have got some of the country’s best players and we have got a team full of internationals either at senior or junior level.

“It is an extremely tough league but there is absolutely no reason in my opinion why Derby County cannot be where Brighton, Palace and Hull are."

"Are those clubs better than us? Absolutely not."

There is also a comment where he refused to rule out paying transfer fees for players in a radio interview, he said "I don't think you necessarily judge players on the size of the transfer fee." (Or very close to that exact wording, my memory is not the greatest but I do believe that's it.

Now, if you'll excuse the possible rambling, I'd like to address these points. The comments in regard to some of the countries best players seems like the most blatant of over the top PR work I've seen. Rhe 'team full of internationals" quote too is hardly true either. We have Hendrick and Sammon just now picking up caps, Ward getting the odd NI call-up and Keogh has had a brief sub appearance. (I'm not sure if we're qualifying Hughes's one cap for the U21's).

This seems like the kind of PR work Glick would have been slaughtered for, yet apparently it has gone unnoticed. It's pleasing to see him seemingly enamoured with our side, but we certainly do not have some of the country's best players, nor do we have a team of internationals. By my count we have 6 regular squad members with caps, Ward and Sammon having had 3 or so caps each this season being the most prolific. Hughes has a sub appearance, as has Theo (who's now offski). Keogh has had a sub appearance aswell of course, Hendrick has two sub appearances and Mason has a couple of England youth games.

Hardly the calibre of a team of international regulars, is it?

In regard to the "Are those clubs better than us?" I'm not sure to what he's referring. If he's asking if they're bigger clubs then no, they're not. In terms of squad size and ability then yes, of course they are better than us, look at them. There's a reason they're where they are, and we finished where we were. Namely cash invested and a distinctly better squad for each side mentioned. Aiming for top six is based on that, to say they're no bigger than us as club is meaningless. I don't understand what he's trying to say there.

Lastly, and perhaps this is me picking fault with him, the idea that players shouldn't be judged on transfer fee's is only applicable when the club can afford to be making mistakes on players given enough financial backing to fix those mistakes. With players such as Sammon for example, we simply have to judge him partly on his fee, as for example the fee paid for him was one we're very unlikely to see spent again without recuperating cash by selling those we have. Selling Davies, making £750k and then spending an extra roughly £450k on a striker is a rare thing for us, so if we are in the business of strengthening, I hope we take into account how much the player is actually worth to us considering spending large fees is highly unusual for us.

To spend £1.2m on Sammon, considering his worth to the team, is probably Nigel's worst buy so far, though I do not blame him for the fee as I do not know exactly who is responsible for that. Sammon is not terrible, but he's incredibly average, his better games coming against dross sides (Ipswich away as Jewell was sacked, sides such as Huddersfield and Bristol City at home who were dreadful away sides) and just in terms of the fee, so rarely do we have such figures to spend on players. I'd rather Sam actually start judging potential signings in regard to the fee we'll be paying, if he's the one negotiating the deals. Perhaps we saw the Sammon deal as us essentially losing Davies and replacing him with Sammon for a net loss for £450k, but I'd rather we'd looked at it, seen we'd got the capacity to spend such a rare fee for a striker, and re-evaluated exactly who we could go for, considering how unlikely we are to have such a fee again for a striker until Hughes, Ward or Mason are sold.

Again, just a few thoughts, perhaps it's me rambling nonsense, I've just been listening to Mr Rush recently and some of the things he's saying don't appear to be getting mentioned as out of the ordinary or strange, so I thought I'd bring them up. (Please excuse typo's, I've given up looking for them by now).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes has had 2 caps of the u21's and 6 of the u17's. (not one like you suggested).

Bennet has more that ' a couple of youth games', in fact 2 for the under 16's and 16 for the under 17's. 

Also you're ignoring all of the other players that have caps at some level (but including them wouldn't fit your argument would it)

Seriously, I started reading this post and thought, yeah a few good points...but then it just turned into what seemed like a poorly, ill-educated dig at Rush's optimism. Don't know the facts? Well leave them out rather than taking a pessimistic view towards everything. Jeese.

The "team full of internationals" comment is my personal favourite.

We had a team full of internationals under o Jewell and old Bill Davies (Miller, Commons, Sterjovski, Lewis, Ghaly, Pearson, Price, Nyatanga) made no difference.

I got ripped to shreads a few days ago by Eddie for doing exactly the same thing you are doing now; dissecting what Rush said in his interview and analysing exactly what tangible promises he proferred. Still adds up to a big fat duck egg.

There is also a comment where he refused to rule out paying transfer fees for players in a radio interview, he said "I don't think you necessarily judge players on the size of the transfer fee." (Or very close to that exact wording, my memory is not the greatest but I do believe that's it."

I believe he is referring to us looking at players who are on free transfers. As in; just because they are free doesn't mean nobody wants them or that you don't have to pay a fee to get a good player if you can get them out of contract.

The bits I got slated for which I picked out were Rush claiming that Brighton, Palace and Hull were not better teams than us. Ummm well let me see, one will be in the Premiership next season, another might and one finished significantly higher in the league than we did. Yep can definetely see your point Sam.

Or was he trying to imply that our team was better but our current management team is not getting the best out of our players hence our lower league position?

Rush's comments so far are very similar to Glick's. Glick failed to deliver a successful team or a financially self sustaining club. He had several season to turn his words into deeds and failed.

Rush has so far had little chance to prove himself. I personally like Rush and instinctively believe that he will deliver. However, at present he has given us exactly the same rhetoric as his predecessor. Now is not the time to judge though. When we kick off in August we'll have far more idea whether he's Glick II or the answer to our problems. Even then though, we won't actually know until around March next year. Rush might sign a set of players who we all think are going to be poor, yet turn out to be world-beaters or vice versa.

I agree with him that transfer fees are a little irrelevant once a player is signed. If we sign the six best out of contract players in the country (although I'm not quite sure how we'd judge) then we'd have a better side than if we'd paid out £6m. However, we all know that refusing to pay transfer fees severely restricts the talent pool available to Nigel. It is my opinion that sensible team building would involve academy promotions, free transfers and some signing on fees, but it's easy to say that when I 'invest' about £600 per year in the club and not £6,000,000.

"We're a great team, we're going for automatic promotion"

"No we aren't, you're deluded, liar!, get your checkbook out, spin, boooo!"

"We're a good team team, and with the right signings we're aiming for the playoffs"

"You're signing the wrong players, we're not a good team we're average, you'll sell any good players, we're nowhere near the playoffs, the manager's crap, spin! liar! checkbook! booo!"

"We're an average/decent team, we think top 10 is a good achievement"

"Show some ambition, what a negative attitude, the whole club is happy for mid table, rotten to the core, not renewing, bored, checkbook! booo!"

"We're below average to poor, we need an overhall"

"booooo! ambition! negative! checkbook! clough out! yanks out!"

"We're a terrible team facing relegation"

"_____" <vows never to attend Pride Park again until we spend £20m in one pre season>

Is it just me who's not interested in what our Chief exec has to say? He has to impress the Investors on behalf of GSE so he's got to "big up" the club.....its spin that's all and pretty meaningless. Its what businesses do, spout corporate cliches to try and keep the money men sweet.

Sorry if you made any decent points Alex......post was far too long to read properly on a glorious sunny Sunday evening! :D

The bits I got slated for which I picked out were Rush claiming that Brighton, Palace and Hull were not better teams than us. Ummm well let me see, one will be in the Premiership next season, another might and one finished significantly higher in the league than we did. Yep can definetely see your point Sam.

Or was he trying to imply that our team was better but our current management team is not getting the best out of our players hence our lower league position?

Entitled to your opinion. But these comments, yes they're over-the-top PR....but are they actual cast-iron promises?

Team of internationals at senior or junior level - I seem to recall a thread where a full team and subs could be named from our squad that had junior or senior call Ups and caps. I think he may read the forum

He probably reads my posts.

Can't see him wasting valuable time reading the rest of the dross on here. :D

I got ripped to shreads a few days ago by Eddie for doing exactly the same thing you are doing now; dissecting what Rush said in his interview and analysing exactly what tangible promises he proferred. Still adds up to a big fat duck egg.

I wouldn't say 'ripped to shreds' - just slightly nicked with the blade. Try to avoid after-shave for a bit though..

I've already been banging on about this article by Rush for the last 3 days.

It'll feel much better if you stop.

Archived