1st Visit to PP.....

GPKiernan

I'm flying into East Midlands on Friday morning from Dublin with my 2 adult children for 3 days....any suggestions please for sights to see in and around Derby - especially this Friday and maybe Sunday - presume Saturday will take care of itself!

My only previous visit to Derby was back in the 90's for a mid week game at BBG - a fantastic night - dinner in the Kevin Hector Room - introduced to Lionel Pickering after the game - but then life and stuff got in the way and havent been back since - but I'm there in spirit on each match day!

Hopefully the first of many trips to PP............

Thanks.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What sort of thing you into fella? Walking? Drinking? Both? Neither?

Like Ambitous says. Derbyshire is lovely. Some great scenery, walks and to real Ale if that floats your boat?

Hope you enjoy Pride Park. It's...... different to the BBG. Very modern football. Don't stand still there either or you'll end up sponsored. And remember to boo!

Best pubs - Brunswick, Alex, Smithfield, Exeter, Brewery Tap, Furnace, Silk Mill, Flower Pot and Little Chester Ale House all in ons crawl.

Go to Matlock Bath and Bakewell for a full day. Walk along Lathkil Dale from Alport or around Monsal Head.

Where are you staying? What are you interested in? Have you got a car or are you using public transport? Do you want free attractions or paying. Alton Towers is close by but go on the web site to look for offers on the admission full price is a rip off. Tycross zoo is close but only has a lot of monkeys. If you want free attractions then get up in the peak district but check the weather. It's lovely in the sun but bleak in rain.

Best pubs - Brunswick, Alex, Smithfield, Exeter, Brewery Tap, Furnace, Silk Mill, Flower Pot and Little Chester Ale House all in ons crawl.

Go to Matlock Bath and Bakewell for a full day. Walk along Lathkil Dale from Alport or around Monsal Head.

Only go into the above pubs if you have a beard, love ugly fat women (with beards) and like to talk about trains!

Only go into the above pubs if you have a beard, love ugly fat women (with beards) and like to talk about trains!

i.e. if you know ANYTHING about beer and are not prepared to drink the tasteless insipid arctic piss that 'Big Brewery' want to force down your throats on the back of their questionable advertisement campaigns. If you need to advertise a beer, then by definition it's piss.  

Take the short trip to Burton to the National Brewing Museum. It is a very short trip on the train/bus if you don't have a car. If you do have a car while you are around Burton take in a trip to St. Georges Park the national training centre for all the England teams.Turas go maith.

i.e. if you know ANYTHING about beer and are not prepared to drink the tasteless insipid arctic piss that 'Big Brewery' want to force down your throats on the back of their questionable advertisement campaigns. If you need to advertise a beer, then by definition it's piss.

Guinness and Kronenbourg are my drinks of choice, big advertising budgets no doubt, but prefer to drink them in a pub full of sexy ladies than a smelly real ale joint full of beer farts, beer bellies, train anecdotes, beards, fat ugly women, anoraks, etc etc, just my preference :-p

Guinness and Kronenbourg are my drinks of choice, big advertising budgets no doubt, but prefer to drink them in a pub full of sexy ladies than a smelly real ale joint full of beer farts, beer bellies, train anecdotes, beards, fat ugly women, anoraks, etc etc, just my preference :-p

We all have to grow up at some time. Besides, beer doesn't give you crabs.

Thanks Dave, now everyone will think I have a beer belly, a beard and that I am a Thomas the Tank Engine nerd, you shouldn't class all males as being the same if they drink in the Brewery Tap, oh, can you pass my Zimmer frame please?

Any visitors to Derby/Derbyshire should be sure to take in the delights of Kedleston Hall, Hardwick Hall, Chatsworth and Dovedale and don't forget a visit to Derby Museum to view the fabulous Joseph Wright paintings.    Other places of note are Markeaton Park toilets, the recently revamped Council House Holiday Camp and Derby Bus Station, whatever you do don't miss these!!

;) 

Stay clear of Nottingham as a general word of advice :)

Good advice - see previous explanation re crabs

No need for thanks, honestly, no need.

Anyway, I like real ale pubs, an am tellin thee, them women seem to dramatically loose weight as you make your way down the bar chalk board.

Owah.

Archived