Alex Baptiste

BorneoRam

Forsyth couldn't cut it in the PL. If our aim is to go up, we'd have to find a new LB anyway.

So I'd back buying White for the long term, someone who could potentially be a PL player.

Totally agree.Either go safe and get Aidy white and give him first team football or a bit risky get an experienced left back and hope Max lowe develops well behind the scenes like Luke shaw did.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't understand this at all, not the interest in Baptiste but the response from certain people. 

For me, I haven't see much of baptiste in all honesty - and my reaction is based purely on what i've heard, which is he is one of the top defenders in the division - which is why clubs will still chucking 7 figures at him whilst he had 6 months on his contract, a player also coming into his prime. 

I genuinely don't think we can pull this signing off, but if we do.. it'll be an incredible signing for a team in our position, reputation wise anyway, someone might sign the next chris smalling for 50k and we'll be envious of that - but honestly, we're not in a position to make such a high profile signing, also I know it was some time ago but Barker even said he was the best player he has ever played with, and wouldn't be surprised to see his influence in this deal.

I've got everything crossed - a highly rated versatile defender, that is a captain of another championship club... on a free? nah, why would we want that.  

This is the type of player we need to be signing this summer. Proven in the division with a good amount of experience. It's essential that we get another three or four like him in if we're to push for promotion next season.

"One of our best players and my favorite in the previous seasons! He has been below par this season . Not sure if the ATS because his hearts not in the club or a run of poor form! I'd pick the first! But in the Prem he was good enough for us and the key to our defence that season!

Oh and I'd have an inform Baptist over Barker any day! Like I said over the past four years until this season I can't remember a bad game by him!"

"Is it a coincidence that a lot of our goals have been conceded from set pieces in the air"

Sounds like he'd be a good signing, my only concern would be, does he have the attributes to complement Keogh or not? 

Remember the vitriol from certain quarters when we signed Buxton? The same nonsense when we signed Barker? The howls of indignation because if Keogh had been good enough, Coventry surely wouldn't have been relegated?

If Clough says a centre half is good enough for Derby County, he invariably is.

Remember the vitriol from certain quarters when we signed Buxton? The same nonsense when we signed Barker? The howls of indignation because if Keogh had been good enough, Coventry surely wouldn't have been relegated?

If Clough says a centre half is good enough for Derby County, he invariably is.

Shackell Barker Buxton Keogh Brayford Freeman Moxey Roberts

Good signings

Bad signings I can only think of Naylor in defence. And even in his case he was never given a chance.

Shackell Barker Buxton Keogh Brayford Freeman Moxey Roberts

Good signings

Bad signings I can only think of Naylor in defence. And even in his case he was never given a chance.

Naylor has had one bad game for game for us, a handful of okay games and a few really promising games, 

This time last year, I didn't question why Fulham wanted him - he stepped up to this division, I'm massively surprised that he hasn't been in the fold this season though. 

Naylor has had one bad game for game for us, a handful of okay games and a few really promising games, 

This time last year, I didn't question why Fulham wanted him - he stepped up to this division, I'm massively surprised that he hasn't been in the fold this season though. 

hes only 20/21.He will here next season hopefully goes out on loan for regular football.Alot of the young players will.

Buxton is not a footballer he is a defender. His approach is no nonsense and every club needs a player like that. But if you want to progress and win more, these types of players shouldn't be in the starting line up for every game, you need options which is what they give you. I like Buxton and think that a tactical rotation of him and Baptiste would be fantastic. Keep the players we want/need, bring in Baptiste and another goalscorer and I think that would be enough to finish in the play off positions.

Plus experienced holding  midfielder to compliment the others.  ie Hard man Henry Newton or Bruce Rioch type.     IMO.   Found this game i went too  

One of the things you notice is how loud it is when they score or when they nearly do. It sounds like the Nou Camp

How young and fit Clough looked. I suppose he was, he was only 34 in 1969 

Archived