Give Sammon a break

BrysonsBoys

for a while now i've heard our fans moaning and lamenting this poor guy and his perceived lack of ability and quite honestly i'm fed up with it.

despite missing the penalty on friday i thought he had a good game and i reckon that 433 worked well and we looked a real threat, had we not got the penalty and still lost people would put it down to bad luck etc, not one player's mistake. 

I do rate Sammon as a player, not maybe a goalscorer like we all seem to bang on about and personally i do not think he's worth the 1.2m that we supposedly paid for him, but i do think he brings other useful traits to our side, especially when alongside ward and now martin also.

The bloke is obviously low on confidence, the last thing he needs is the fans slagging him off for one mistake, even messi misses penalties! although i do feel either davies or jacobs should've taken the penalty, its not a given they wouldve scored either!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree absolutely, Sammon was already low on confidence and i dread to think what the penalty miss (in addition to some of the fans getting on his back) has done to him. Clough has talked about giving a Bennett a go i think now is a good time given the circumstances, give him some starts to blood him and lets see what he can do, see if he would be ready for alot more first team football next season.

In all fairness he took the risk taking the penalty. It was a big risk if you ask anyone at the game. The tension was incredible and in the end it never paid off. I honestly believe the guy will come good. He just needs time and he's at the perfect club for that. Ignore the fans man up and get on with it, that's all he needs to do. Clough is behind him and we're not going anywhere this season so there's no pressure. He's got a 3?4? year contract and lets face it, haven't seen the best of him yet. Martin is a clever player, and I've got high hopes for the two of them working together.

I think the title of another thread summed it up, I'm ashamed to be a Derby supporting hearing some of the things people say about Sammon. Give the guy a break, he gives his all, has already scored as many as the League's top scorer this season scored last season and has offered the team a lot this year. There is no way that slamming him for every mistake is going to help him.

He needs a rest, end of.

If he comes on for Twenty mins at the end of a game and gets a goal or sets one up, it will build his confidence back up.

A bit like Gary Teale did.

If he carries on like he is, it'll ruin him.

Sammon took unnecessary abuse Friday night, it was a frustrating night where for me, the Palace GK was MOTM which tells you a fair story of the game. We were unlucky not to have got the 3 points really and certainly a point, if Jacobs had missed the penalty or Bryson there wouldn't have been a boo, Sammon is definitely turning into the scapegoat for us! He's a good team player, just not an individual tbh!

Although he's a lot lot better than Callum effin Ball! :p

He definately needs a break, a very long break...say...three years at somewhere like Torquay....& if they could contibute to his wages it would nice too...

Or perhaps he could have a permanent break?? I'm sure that if Sammon does all the good work that so many can see..There will be a queue of knowledgeable football managers desperate to take him on..therefore re-couping our outlay should be a doddle???

He needs a break, no doubt about it. But Cloughs man management skills are....questionable.

I really thought the crowd were superb on Friday night, for a group that talk so often about our manager as having poor man management and "killing" the confidence of players.

I didn't see Clough booing Sammon, neither before or after the spot kick.

Is man management the latest stick?

He should have been taken off at half time, but because Bennett played for the under 18s in mid week I think that played a factor in keeping Sammon on. Martin also isn't fully match match, so didn't last the 90.

Don't really blame Cloughs man management, but it's poor to let Sammon step up and take a penalty having missed a good goal scoring oppounity five minutes prior to the spot kick and having Davies and Bryson on the same pitch - whom have both scored numerous penalties throughout their careers.

I don't think that who takes a penalty is necessarily a management decision - the players would have more of a say than anyone else. Jamie Ward takes them normally because he's happy to and has a good measure of success. If and when he misses a couple (not everyone is as cool as Matt LeTissier used to be from the spot, missing only once out of 50-odd) then he will probably want someone else to take the spot kicks. Go back 40 years and Alex Stepney used to take them for Man United for a while, probably because everyone else had missed one.

I think Sammon is aware of his current poor form and wanted the oppurtunity to try and kick on for the rest of the season. It didn't pay off but it showed he had the balls to step up at a tense time in the game to take the penalty despite being low on confidence in front of goal.

The guy has shown he has no composure in front of goal. Cannot hit a barn door let alone place a well timed, powerful and accurate shot into a corner.

That's exactly why he should go nowhere near penalties and Cloughs management skills are diabolical for not realising this.

Archived