Give Sammon a break

BrysonsBoys

What's people's obsession with Martin Waghorn? He's turned us down numerous times and is happy sitting in the Leicester bench behind Nugent, Wood, Vardy, Kane.

You say you only want players to wear the DCFC shirt with pride and yet wanting these type of players to join the club, makes no sense...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People even were talking about wanting Varney back at one point, and we got £750k and some loan fees out of him, that was miracle work from the club.

Any more of a miracle than doubling your money on a striker who only scored 1 goal in 30 odd games ? 

Have to disagree Albert, if we sold Sammon for a million quid in the summer, all people would be banging on about, is that miracles do happen....getting a million for Sammon would be akin to the, feeding of the 5 thousand.. :)

"He was then signed by Brian Clough for Derby County (local rivals of Forest) in September 1967 for £30,000. He spent eight seasons with the Rams,"

This is from Wikipaedia about Alan Hinton......Forest were convinced they had "got one over" on the Rams! The rest is history.

Keep the faith Nigel and feed the Fish!

So for the "He does more for the team than score goals" arguement

Assists

Coutts - 8

Jacobs, Ward - 6

Bryson - 5

Hendrick, Sammon - 3

3 assists.  To be that high up the pitch and do all this good work he's doing and he gets 6 goals and 3 assists in 34 games (two of those as sub).

And he's scored 6 goals from 48 shots, 12.5% of his chances go in.  You can say he's getting chances at least but, in 16 games, Ward has had 53 shots and even Bryson has had 41. I know that doesn't tell the whole story as you can't see what those chances are like from just the numbers and I'm sure he 'gives defenders a hard time' etc, but call me old fashioned, I'd like my strikers to score goals and as a plus maybe create goals for others.  And don't try telling me his off the ball work is creating chances for others, because he isn't.

We have used the fewest amount of players in the league this season.  That's not because we have a really small squad, it's because, when players like Sammon could do with a bit of time out and recharging etc we don't do it as we loan out all our other strikers and then bring in half fit ones from elsewhere.  Why are Robinson (8 goals) and even Tyson (4 goals) out on loan when we need to make things fresher?  I'm not saying either Robinson or Tyson are lethal strikers who would solve our problems but Nigel signed them and they score more goals to game than Sammon so why are they out on loan giving us little to no options in terms of changing things.  It's not even fair on Sammon, he could do with a game or two away but can't.

Assists aren't all players do for the team though, are they?

An assist, officially, is the man to touch the ball before the goalscorer...

What's people's obsession with Martin Waghorn? He's turned us down numerous times and is happy sitting in the Leicester bench behind Nugent, Wood, Vardy, Kane.

You say you only want players to wear the DCFC shirt with pride and yet wanting these type of players to join the club, makes no sense...

You say that but Waghorn has not signed a new deal and so cannot be too happy at sitting on the bench??

He is out of contract and Derby will be able to offer first team football as Nigel has been after him for ages and he is likely to get a run of games.

Waghorn himself has not turned us down, he was very close to joining us on loan but Sven-G-E stopped the deal because they wanted him as there were injuries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/9371792.stm

You dont know and I dont know what Waghorn thinks, maybe he would be privileged to play week in week out for Derby. Maybe he just sees it as another contract. Neither of us know but I have seen him play on numerous occasions and I am sure you have too. He is a good player and will get double figures in a season if he starts. Without injuries I reckon he has the potential to be a better version of Steve Davies, more pace being the main contributor. 

For a start Waghorns hamstring are worst than those of Jamie Ward and Kris Commons.

He's hardly prolific either, think he's scored twenty goals his entire season, his last notable season being 2009/10.

Might have played well against us, so did Dave Martin when we played Millwall - so well that NC signed him.

People even were talking about wanting Varney back at one point, and we got £750k and some loan fees out of him, that was miracle work from the club.

Good answer Albert, now I don't suppose you could do me a favour?? nip round to Josh Duggans for me, tempt him back onto his roof with a few tinnies, then pick up a nice big stone & knock him clean off it, the fookin dam waste off space... ;) go on Albert its for the good off sport...

For a start Waghorns hamstring are worst than those of Jamie Ward and Kris Commons.

He's hardly prolific either, think he's scored twenty goals his entire season, his last notable season being 2009/10.

Might have played well against us, so did Dave Martin when we played Millwall - so well that NC signed him.

This the same Waghorn that managed 73 appearances in two seasons for Leicester before falling out of favour? Neither Jamie nor Steve Davies have managed that yet in their careers from what I can see.

Should probably add though that he's 23 and if Leicester offer him a contract extension that we'd still have to pay compensation.

He hasn't had a proper run in a side since the 09/10 season.

Who's to say he's the same player of that season?

In that season Michael Chopra hit 18, would you take him? Earnshaw 17 and Maynard 20 - would those be good signings?

Shows how long ago it was.

He's impressed two or three times when he's played against us, hardly the inspiration to get the check book out is it?

People only want him because his names been branded about for the past two or three seasons, much like Conor Sammon. So everyone assumes he's quality.

Yeah, but that was on the back of an o.k spell in the Prem.

I would be amazed if anyone would be willing to pay more the £250k for Sammon at the moment.

This the same Waghorn that managed 73 appearances in two seasons for Leicester before falling out of favour? Neither Jamie nor Steve Davies have managed that yet in their careers from what I can see.

Should probably add though that he's 23 and if Leicester offer him a contract extension that we'd still have to pay compensation.

Are you sure Alb? I thought the compensation was only payable to the club that nutured the player. He was at Sunderland before joining Leicester wasnt he?

Are you sure Alb? I thought the compensation was only payable to the club that nutured the player. He was at Sunderland before joining Leicester wasnt he?

Compensation is for all transfers of players who leave at the end of the contracts whilst under the age of 24, so long as they have been offered a contract of better or equal terms from what I remember, I could dig up the documents on it... but... nah...

Compensation is for all transfers of players who leave at the end of the contracts whilst under the age of 24, so long as they have been offered a contract of better or equal terms from what I remember, I could dig up the documents on it... but... nah...

Your correct Albert,

What can also happen if the club that player moves to thinks that the compensation is too high they can opt to take it to a tribunal to have the amount reduced. The normal rule is 3-4 k per year that the player has been nurtured by the old club, but this is not set in stone.

Your correct Albert,

What can also happen if the club that player moves to thinks that the compensation is too high they can opt to take it to a tribunal to have the amount reduced. The normal rule is 3-4 k per year that the player has been nurtured by the old club, but this is not set in stone.

Steve Davies fee was set by tribunal, and that was what... £275k rising to £750... I'm not so sure about that 3-4k per year part, are you sure you're not mixing it up with something else?

"He was then signed by Brian Clough for Derby County (local rivals of Forest) in September 1967 for £30,000. He spent eight seasons with the Rams,"

This is from Wikipaedia about Alan Hinton......Forest were convinced they had "got one over" on the Rams! The rest is history.

Keep the faith Nigel and feed the Fish!

Comparing Conor Sammon to Alan Hinton. Not in the same Universe.  

Comparing Conor Sammon to Alan Hinton. Not in the same Universe.  

That doesn't whittle it down much.

We couldn't afford the white boots of a player of Hinton's class.

I can't think of any present day player who is.

Wonder if he'd join us as an adviser? 

He's only 70 and could teach the Rams a lot about corners, set pieces and dead ball siuations

Steve Davies fee was set by tribunal, and that was what... £275k rising to £750... I'm not so sure about that 3-4k per year part, are you sure you're not mixing it up with something else?

Yeah I think I did. I was referring to players that have been nurtured by an academy and then move on. Sorry.

Archived