Give Sammon a break

BrysonsBoys

4 year deal correct, but wages? Who knows

What wage is he on? And which players wages is it large in comparison to?

I was under the illusion he was the highest paid player.

If that is true then obviously he will be on a wage similar to Tyson or Keogh. It would have been Barker but he took a wage drop to extend his contract by one year following the injury.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Murray apart from one 22 goal season in League One hardly had a stellar record either. His next best were:

12 in League One

11 in League One

16 in League Two

Compared with

U.C.D.

2005 9 games 0 goals

2006 35 games 8 goals

2007 39 games 11 goals

Derry City

2008 20 games 7 goals

Kilmarnock

2008–09 20 games 3 goals

2009–10 29 games 4 goals

2010–11 27 games 18 goals

Wigan Athletic

2010–11 7 games 1 goal

2011–12 27 games 0 goals

Derby County

2012–13 - 39 games 8 goal

Career totals 251 games 60 goals

Yeah maybe not a stellar record but showed more promise.

I was under the illusion he was the highest paid player.

If that is true then obviously he will be on a wage similar to Tyson or Keogh. It would have been Barker but he took a wage drop to extend his contract by one year following the injury.

do you actually have any source for this information? Its the first anyone has mentioned Barker taking a drop

its not FM is it?

do you actually have any source for this information? Its the first anyone has mentioned Barker taking a drop

its not FM is it?

No, that's why i said i was under the illusion. It was simply what I had heard and thought everyone had accepted it. Obviously i was wrong to accept. 

Sammon is likely to be a high paid player but obviously nobody knows for sure. Its the same with Tyson is he actually one of our highest paid players no body can prove it.

Compared with

U.C.D.

2005 9 games 0 goals

2006 35 games 8 goals

2007 39 games 11 goals

Derry City

2008 20 games 7 goals

Kilmarnock

2008–09 20 games 3 goals

2009–10 29 games 4 goals

2010–11 27 games 18 goals

Wigan Athletic

2010–11 7 games 1 goal

2011–12 27 games 0 goals

Derby County

2012–13 - 39 games 8 goal

Career totals 251 games 60 goals

Yeah maybe not a stellar record but showed more promise.

MIght be fairer if you only concentrated on his professional career Wilko.

To rack up his University College Dublin stats when they're an amateur team is a little bit unfair. Why stop there. couldn't you find his sunday league stats?

In Murrays case the first time he had any kind of decent season was at Rochdale  in LEAGUE TWO when he was 25 years old. Up until that point he'd done nothing of note whatsoever at either Carlise or Stockport.

Conor I think is still only 24 and playing at a higher level than Murray managed at that age.

To rack up his University College Dublin stats when they're an amateur team is a little bit unfair. Why stop there. couldn't you find his sunday league stats?

In Murrays case the first time he had any kind of decent season was at Rochdale  in LEAGUE TWO when he was 25 years old. Up until that point he'd done nothing of note whatsoever at either Carlise or Stockport.

Conor I think is still only 24 and playing at a higher level than Murray managed at that age.

He's 26 and UCD play in the Irish Premier - I think his stats probably deserve mentioning at that level.

Difference is though, Murray has got quality ball control and can actually hold the ball up. Even if Murray isnt scoring he's an asset to the side cos how he brings others into play. 

He's 26 and UCD play in the Irish Premier - I think his stats probably deserve mentioning at that level.

I tried to edit the age when I saw I got it wrong but it was too late. As someone who likes others to be careful and realistic with facts and figures it was a poor mistake.

I might be completely wrong here and it shows my lack of knowledge of the Irish game but would he have been on a full time professional contract in Ireland? Would you benchmark the Irish PL at league two or above standard?

I'm not  disagreeing totally on including his stats at that level but feel if they're going to be included that for direct comparison  Glen Murrays stats and the level he was playing at as an 18, 19 and 20,21,22,23 should be up as well.

Do we count part time Workington Reds who play in blue square north where he scored for fun (23 in 45) and who he played for as an 18/19 year old and do we count Wilmington Hammerheads a US based franchise team, he was there aged 20. 3 in 14.

Or should we start at his first professional club which was Carlise when he was 21. His goal record there was 5 in 47 over a three year period in league two.

I'm not arguing as such I'm just trying to reinforce the point that no-one would have given Murray the time of the day as a striker until he got 21 in a season at Rochdale. That was when he turned 25.

Since then he's been on fire but I bet no-one from Carlise, Stockport, Wilmington or Workington ever thought he'd be top scorer in this league.

Until he was 26 years old he'd never played outside of league one. (I'm off double checking that now but it might take longer than the 5 mionute edit rule.)

Can we also just take a moment to point out that it doesn't matter how much your strikers cost, or how good their scoring record is at this level – on Saturday Nugent & Wood looked no better than our strikers. Amazing the difference you see in these players when the chips are down & the team is low on confidence.

Yet conversely see Billy Sharp – a name commonly thrown around by a large number of Derby fans as the "type of player we need". Forest have won 5 on the trot since Billy Davies returned. How many goals has Billy Sharp scored? Zero.

I tried to edit the age when I saw I got it wrong but it was too late. As someone who likes others to be careful and realistic with facts and figures it was a poor mistake.

I might be completely wrong here and it shows my lack of knowledge of the Irish game but would he have been on a full time professional contract in Ireland? Would you benchmark the Irish PL at league two or above standard?

I'm not  disagreeing totally on including his stats at that level but feel if they're going to be included that for direct comparison  Glen Murrays stats and the level he was playing at as an 18, 19 and 20,21,22,23 should be up as well.

Do we count part time Workington Reds who play in blue square north where he scored for fun (23 in 45) and who he played for as an 18/19 year old and do we count Wilmington Hammerheads a US based franchise team, he was there aged 20. 3 in 14.

Or should we start at his first professional club which was Carlise when he was 21. His goal record there was 5 in 47 over a three year period in league two.

I'm not arguing as such I'm just trying to reinforce the point that no-one would have given Murray the time of the day as a striker until he got 21 in a season at Rochdale. That was when he turned 25.

Since then he's been on fire but I bet no-one from Carlise, Stockport, Wilmington or Workington ever thought he'd be top scorer in this league.

Until he was 26 years old he'd never played outside of league one. (I'm off double checking that now but it might take longer than the 5 mionute edit rule.)

Workington Reds were not in the Blue Square North at the time. From what I can find they were in the Northern premier League Division One at the time, the 8th tier of English football then. They have been promoted twice to the Conference North after he had left.

He only got 19 in the season you're mentioning by the way, 3 for Stockport on loan and 16 for Rochdale, initially on loan. His first 20 goal haul was that season for Brighton before he signed for Crystal Palace, that is, ignoring his efforts around the 8th tier of English Football.

I put his scoring record up because the "Murray only got 6 in his first season for Palace" stat came up again and then when I said he showed more promise, his scoring feets prior to Palace were put up.

Essentially my arguement is that he hasn't shown anything whilst he's been at Derby that makes me thing he can score enough goals, hold up play, win enough headers or control the ball sufficiently. That's only reinforced by his lack of goal scoring in his history. Whereas the flip side the arguement seems to be that he runs for 90 minutes and someone else only scored a few goals in his first season so Sammon may suddenly turn lethal after the summer.

I just think that's wishful thinking.

Oh you talking about a forum? I thought you were referring to the derby crowd forcing a player out, not discussing a players performance.

I guess they were wrong then given he is no longer playing for the club?

Well, people who post on forums are idiots.

Oh, wait....

Archived