The Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

sage

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a look at his recent appearance record, saying it's good on paper was only half true

2007/08 @ West Brom, promoted with 32 Championship appearances which means he missed 14 whole games

2008/09 @ West Brom. 11 Premier League appearances meaning he didn't feature in 27 whole games

2009/10 @ West Brom & Coventry, 22 Championship appearances which means he missed 24 whole games

2010/11 @ Norwich, promoted with 25 Championship appearances which means he missed 21 whole games

2011/12 @ Norwich. 17 Premier League appearances meaning he didn't feature in 21 whole games

2012/13 @ Norwich and Cardiff. 8 Premier League appearances with Norwich. Promoted with 8 Championship appearances at Cardiff... so he made 16 league appearances. 38 of Cardiff's 46 games did not feature Barnett.

If you ignore the Premier League stuff (can hardly be blames if he didn't feature in a league above our own) his Championship appearance record is pretty poor - perhaps we are looking for a player capable of being first choice, not suspended and fit for an entire season? Barnett would not appear to match this.

Like Chris Martin?

Barnett would be quality, ask any Baggies supporter.

In the interest of fairness, Chris Martin's record on paper is far from impressive.

30 league appearances for Norwich in their promotion season, meaning he missed 16 games of it... still, he featured 5 more times than Barnett.

Doesn't matter if we were interested or not, if Wigan are interested we've got no chance.

If only we sold Brayford earlier we could have had Hobbs!!

Presuming we would have wanted him anyway.

Wishing we had big money to spend or that the manager is going to sign player X, Y or Z is all well and good, but it doesn't work like that.

I get a bit frustrated by the fact we aren't spoffing £20m every summer myself, but I also like the fact that we've quietly built a squad that gets mentioned as top 6 material when 3 years ago we were relegation fodder.

Albert Adomah is wanted by Middlesboro for £900k. We don't have a genuine winger and I think he is a good player.Opinions?

He is an awful player...

"http://www.open.edu/openlearn/sites/www.open.edu.openlearn/files/blinkers_I1" alt="blinkers_I1">

most recent photo I could find - but saying that, people prefer a winger who runs and produces nothing over a player who gets assists, and balls in the box. 

I can't see Clough getting another winger in, although I'd quite like to see a right winger added too, think it'll mostly be Coutts or Davies for the right.
Have to say I wasn't very impressed by what I saw of Adomah last year. He seemed to be a lot of energy,speed,etc but with no composure or end product.
If we did want an out-and-out winger I'd like to see us go for Elliott Bennett from Norwich now they've got Snodgrass, Redmond, Pilkington and Olsson I'm not sure he'll get much game time.

Like I said though I'm not convinced Clough wants to bring in a winger

trying to think of centre backs that impressed me last season - and since I only really saw us at home, and we panned most teams in games I saw. I don't think there is many.

However, a few I can vaguely remember doing well.

Mark Beevers - Millwall - had to do the job of 2 people, Danny Shittu was bleeding awful and Beevers did very well in covering him.

El Abd - Brighton - was very impressive, in what was the most boring game of the season.

Gorkks - Wolves - was on loan from reading, after starting badly in the premier league but showed good quality in that game.

Morgan - Leicester - this was Leicester away, but he was outstanding that match.

Faye - Hull - outstanding performance during our match at PP. 

Ward - Forest(now bournemouth) thought he put in a good performance and carried the hapless Collins through the match.

they're the ones that come to mind anyway, Mark Beevers was my personal favourite, followed by Morgan. 

Definitely agree the defence needs strengthening and a centre back is the next piece needed really.
Like the sound of this Lowry from Millwall as he's left-sided, although I would assume they'll be very reluctant to sell now with the season so close.
I mentioned him before but I really reckon Chris Baird could do well for us if his wage demands were reasonable. Premiership, international and european experience and at 31 could potentially have a couple of years left in him.
Or there's always Titus Bramble of course...

Derby not moving for a centerback unless Keogh/Buxton get injured or the right CB becomes available.

-nicholson

Disappointing - For Clough and Rush's sake we need to win the league, otherwise there is a good majority of people who will not let them forget about the Brayford sale,

Perhaps the Russell signing WAS made with the sale of a player in mind, overall - it is extremely disappointing. 

we don't have the best team in the world, and all the best players in each position in the world - therefore improvement can be made.

So either Clough is reluctant to spend the money available or there isn't the money available? 

Disappointing - For Clough and Rush's sake we need to win the league, otherwise there is a good majority of people who will not let them forget about the Brayford sale,

Perhaps the Russell signing WAS made with the sale of a player in mind, overall - it is extremely disappointing. 

we don't have the best team in the world, and all the best players in each position in the world - therefore improvement can be made.

So either Clough is reluctant to spend the money available or there isn't the money available?

aye, I believe they were expecting the sales of players like Robinson,bailey, Tyson?(doubt anyone will pay his wages)

But I guess that means we have depth? Or a large wasted wage bill.

Archived