The Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

sage

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15k a week!

If we got Scott Dann on 15k a week i don't think people would say the board have been unambitious this summer thats for sure. I thought Tyson/Sammon/Keogh were our highest earners on like 9/10k

I'm sure someone on here worked out that Sammon was on 13K. Can't remember how though. Could quite easily make that up as well with all the outgoings.

Today's Daily Mail states that Wigan have bid £500,000 for Leon Barnett. I don't know much about him but I do think we need to sign a commanding Centre Half.

No link to Derby so merged into here the suggestion thread

Thing is when you are signing a player there is more to consider than can he defend, a players personality and ability to gel with the squad is probably just as important. We've got a bunch of players that actually look like they are mates, the one thing you never hear is a bad word said about the team spirit.

Throw in a Dann, Barnett, Wilson that turn out to be bad eggs can destroy that team spirit in days. I'm not saying they would but I don't know what either of these 3 players are like behind the scenes.

You've also got to consider obviously wages, we know that under Nigel and GSE we're not going to go out and splash huge amounts on fees and wages, Barnett is currently a Premiership player who knows what his wage demands would be, Dann not long ago went for £6.5m, you would expect when you sign a player for that kind of fee he won't be on peanuts and Wilson, Lennon has reportedly slapped a £3m price tag on him and on top of that...yes wages.

Say Barnett, Dann and Wilson all have cracking personalities and will fit right in with the squad, we can afford the fee, they would be in our wage budget, does the player fancy a move to Derby? it's not just football but you're moving away from friends and relocating your family. We could lose out to say Millwall on a player simply because they want to live in London.

To say we have "spurned the opportunity" is harsh, and whilst I would also like to have seen another centre back brought in I honestly haven't got a clue which defenders are out there that fit our criteria.

Getting promoted when the Fairplay system kicks in at the end of the year should be a priority. It certainly seems to be for Bolton ,Blackburn, Forest, QPR, Wigan ,Watford and Leicester given the players they have acquired or are seeking to acquire.An experienced centre half could make a significant difference for us.

QPR, Wigan and Bolton will be getting parachute payments

Forest, Leicester and Blackburn have crazy foreign owners, how did £8m Rhodes work out for Blackburn last season and how much have Leicester spent and failed on getting promotion now, spending money only guarentees one thing and that's less money in the bank.

Leicester have only bought in 1 player this summer haven't they? The Thai's patience must be wearing thin and I'm not surprised.

Watford have been signing freebies due to the links with Udiense.

I totally agree 100% that a experienced centre half now for me would make a massive difference, the thing is the club have said they are in no rush maybe the right player isn't out there or they have fed us BS on reinvesting Brayford money who knows. I think we will see one come in but possibly on loan as I just don't see Buxton lasting a season.

Thing is when you are signing a player there is more to consider than can he defend, a players personality and ability to gel with the squad is probably just as important. We've got a bunch of players that actually look like they are mates, the one thing you never hear is a bad word said about the team spirit.

Throw in a Dann, Barnett, Wilson that turn out to be bad eggs can destroy that team spirit in days. I'm not saying they would but I don't know what either of these 3 players are like behind the scenes.

You've also got to consider obviously wages, we know that under Nigel and GSE we're not going to go out and splash huge amounts on fees and wages, Barnett is currently a Premiership player who knows what his wage demands would be, Dann not long ago went for £6.5m, you would expect when you sign a player for that kind of fee he won't be on peanuts and Wilson, Lennon has reportedly slapped a £3m price tag on him and on top of that...yes wages.

Say Barnett, Dann and Wilson all have cracking personalities and will fit right in with the squad, we can afford the fee, they would be in our wage budget, does the player fancy a move to Derby? it's not just football but you're moving away from friends and relocating your family. We could lose out to say Millwall on a player simply because they want to live in London.

To say we have "spurned the opportunity" is harsh, and whilst I would also like to have seen another centre back brought in I honestly haven't got a clue which defenders are out there that fit our criteria.

This forum has gone downhill recently. Almost everyday I have to read these sensible and well-balanced posts. Can't wait for Sunday to get things back to normal again.

I'm depressed already. So what you are saying is because we don't have parachute payments or crazy foreign owners we shouldn't be ambitious! Norwich and Swansea managed to find decent players and look what happened to them.

But at THE TIME no-one noticed they were decent players - Grant Holt was one of the worst players I had seen in professional football when I watched him for Forest, but at Norwich he became a decent premier league striker! 

I don't understand why spending £500,000 on Leon Barnett would in any way bankrupt the club given we have just sold Brayford for considerably more. Scott Dann might be too expensive, Richard Dunne possibly too risky from a cost and potential injury viewpoint but Barnett has been in promotion winning sides and the fee isn't excessive.

Archived