The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

Theo can't bring others into play as well as Sammon can, and the midfield would be considerably less effective. It would basically be a waste of possession. Theo is also more effective when we are creating chances, something that he wouldn't help by being up front on his own. Think Leicester away last season.

With the 4-4-1-1 the striker wouldn't be bringing others into play but the other way round. How would the midfield be considerably less effective? Derby can play Hendrick, Hughes and Bryson together in this formation and they would all be in positions they are most effective and prefer.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the 4-4-1-1 the striker wouldn't be bringing others into play but the other way round. How would the midfield be considerably less effective? Derby can play Hendrick, Hughes and Bryson together in this formation and they would all be in positions they are most effective and prefer.

So what you're saying is that somehow, possibly due to wizards, Theo with Hughes behind him, would have the physical presence between them to hold up the ball and bring others into the game? Or are you saying that you basically want us to squander possession threading it through to Theo to miscontrol all day? He's quick, but he's not going to score while on his own, and to be honest I think he'd look awful.

So what you're saying is that somehow, possibly due to wizards, Theo with Hughes behind him, would have the physical presence between them to hold up the ball and bring others into the game? Or are you saying that you basically want us to squander possession threading it through to Theo to miscontrol all day? He's quick, but he's not going to score while on his own, and to be honest I think he'd look awful.

Sammon or Theo. I listed Sammon first. Why the hell has our most forward player/players got to (HOLD THE BALL UP) as the only priority. As if they have to wait for the rest of the team to catch up with the gap between the midfield and striker. The point of the attacking midfielder is to bridge the gap, no hold up play involved. Hughes V's Leeds, Blackpool and 20mins in the second half against Middlesbrough is evidence of why this would work.

Sammon or Theo. I listed Sammon first. Why the hell has our most forward player/players got to (HOLD THE BALL UP) as the only priority. As if they have to wait for the rest of the team to catch up with the gap between the midfield and striker. The point of the attacking midfielder is to bridge the gap, no hold up play involved. Hughes V's Leeds, Blackpool and 20mins in the second half against Middlesbrough is evidence of why this would work.

Okay then, explain in detail what you expect from a forward. Explain how Theo could work on his own up front.

Okay then, explain in detail what you expect from a forward. Explain how Theo could work on his own up front.

Again, I have listed Sammon before Theo. But seeing as you even stated Theo's strengths...his pace... I will explain. Scenario: Derby win possession in midfield from the opposition. Hendrick or Bryson pass the ball to Hughes who is behind the opposition center midfielders. Hughes then runs at the center defenders. Whilst Hughes is doing so Theo does one of two things depending on the position of the center halves. He either runs through the middle of the two center defenders or stands just outside of one of the center halves waiting to be played in behind. Hughes could also play the ball out wide to the left or right and Theo could run to be on the end of a low, quick cross.

Again, I have listed Sammon before Theo. But seeing as you even stated Theo's strengths...his pace... I will explain. Scenario: Derby win possession in midfield from the opposition. Hendrick or Bryson pass the ball to Hughes who is behind the opposition center midfielders. Hughes then runs at the center defenders. Whilst Hughes is doing so Theo does one of two things depending on the position of the center halves. He either runs through the middle of the two center defenders or stands just outside of one of the center halves waiting to be played in behind. Hughes could also play the ball out wide to the left or right and Theo could run to be on the end of a low, quick cross.

But what about when Theo or Hughes have someone behind them and their backs against the goal. Neither of them will be able to hold it up surely

...so basically we'd squander possession over and over putting ourselves under more pressure and lose the initiative very quickly. Fantastic stuff!

In fact, has Theo even scored like that this season?

Theo's goals from this year:

Derby 5 - 5 Ssausagehorpe (3-0) - Theo prods it home nearly on the line after Jacobs played it towards goal from a Coutts free kick

Wolves 1 - 1 Derby (1-1) - Theo side foots it home in traffic from the left hand side of goal after a touch on from Coutts (I think, some reports seem to credit Bryson with the assist though)

Middlesbrough 2 - 2 Derby (1-0) - Theo scored from the penalty spot. The penalty was from Bryson being brought down after a good run, with Theo having played Bryson in behind

Derby 1 - 1 Blackburn (1-1) - Theo pounces after the keeper parries Bryson's shot in a crowded box, the shot is deflected into the net off the keeper

Ipswich 1 - 2 Derby (1-1) - Theo pounces on a rebound from inside the 6 yard box after Sammon's shot is saved

Derby 4 - 1 Blackpool (1-0) - Theo side foots in a low cross just outside the 6 yard box, Theo and Bryson heavily involved in the build up

Derby 4 - 1 Blackpool (3-1) - Theo pounced on a bad pass well out the box, before running at pace towards goal. He got past one player with a clever first touch before he used his pace to get in behind before finishing calmly between the keepers legs

Derby 1 - 1 Cardiff (1-1) - Sammon played in Bryson who got the ball square in front of goal where Theo put it away from a yard or so out right in the centre

Leicester 4 - 1 Derby (2-1) - Jacobs lofts a lovely ball through to Theo who got between two defenders before volleying it home

Long story short, he knows how to get in the right place at the right time, and he's got some raw pace, but again, someone needs to be along side him to help make those chances. He's got some tap ins, a penalty, a couple of neat finishes in a crowded area, but only one goal from his pace, and that was from a defensive error on a day we scored 4. He's got that goal sense, and that's good in and of itself, but you can't expect him to be the loan striker regardless of how many attacking midfielders you feel like having. He's not got the technical ability to be a false 9, and whilst he can get in the right place at the right time, if he's the focal point of the attack, it would become all too predictable all too quickly, regardless of how many players who be playing him in. He also isn't as good as Sammon at bringing others into play, which wouldn't help the above situation either.

Speaking of Theo and Sammon though, for this season:

Theo Robinson - 25 games, 9 goals, no assists

Conor Sammon - 27 games, 7 goals, 3 assists

To be honest, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to start Sammon with his record so far.

Speaking of Theo and Sammon though, for this season:

Theo Robinson - 25 games, 9 goals, no assists

Conor Sammon - 27 games, 7 goals, 3 assists

To be honest, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to start Sammon with his record so far.

Play them both up front! or is that too radical.

Then ward on the wing

Play them both up front! or is that too radical.

Then ward on the wing

Read my exchange with "Uptherams", my entire point is that they both work best as a front two, whilst they suggested a lineup like:

4-4-1-1

Midfield _ Jacobs - Bryson - Hendrick - Ward

Attacking Midfield (centre)_ Hughes

Striker_Sammon or Theo

Read my exchange with "Uptherams", my entire point is that they both work best as a front two, whilst they suggested a lineup like:

Coutts Hendrick Bryson Ward

Robinson Sammon

Is Miles better than

Jacobs Bryson Hendrick ward

Hughes

Sammon

Firmly on your side Albert. In my opinion we should have 2 up front.

One thing i noticed yesterday. The balls passed into sammon were rubbish. A good ball to a forward wouldn't need good control. I think people need to look at the poor balls / service he receives before shouting about how poor he is.

i thought the same. Everytime a player didn't get on the end of a pass the guys sat behind me blamed the receiver. They never blamed the passer for the underhit pass, the pass 5 yards away from the man or the overhit rocket at soneone.

You mean 2 upfront? no no no no no we don't do that here.

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' /> sorry i have just looked back over my mistake and realised where i have gone wrong. It was a foolish decision on my behalf to even contemplate having 2 players in the striker role. How silly. That would mean Sammon had some support.... Unthinkable. Sorry if anyone was offended by my naivety in putting forward this idea.

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' /> sorry i have just looked back over my mistake and realised where i have gone wrong. It was a foolish decision on my behalf to even contemplate having 2 players in the striker role. How silly. That would mean Sammon had some support.... Unthinkable. Sorry if anyone was offended by my naivety in putting forward this idea.

yes i was seriously offended. apologise at once

Archived