Nigel Cloughs negative away form

Bris Vegas

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post of the year. A couple of first XI recruits in the summer with barker too and we should be in the 3rd-7th league next year. We might be onto something with this slow and steady approach!

You're too kind, young Sir 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> . As a bonus to everyone, I think I'll stop all posting for the rest of this year and concentrate on 2013. Oh goodness, not long now...

Happy New Year to all Rams fans. Looking forward to a decent couple of seasons. Promotion would be another thing though....

Robert went to Toronto then Larissa and has now retired.

Albretchsen went back to Denmark and played for midtyland (wrong spelling) and is now at brondby

So not really at our standard then. The OP was making the point they were at the fag end of heir career (with the exception of Carroll) and this helps clarify that.

Why focus just on our away performances? We look just as bad at home when we come up against better teams. In fact we look just as bad at home for spells when playing average or poor teams and they somehow manage to get on the front foot.

When that happens at home is the problem still Clough’s ‘away mentality’? Or is it his away tactics?

The problem (home or away) is the lack of quality in at least three positions. There are different opinions about priorities – but for me the main problem is up front. We’re rarely able to create something out of nothing. All our best football comes from midfield. So when we’re under pressure and defending (home and especially away) the strikers don’t have enough creativity and skill to help take the pressure off. Hoofball is the result – much to Clough’s obvious annoyance.

Clough does what he can and so far I think he’s done very well – over to you Mr Appleby.

Hey come on we have been top 6 standard at home this season and most fans who go every week would agree. Cardiff and Brighton came away with nothing and we smashed Watford and Blackpool, look at Watford now. It really is the away form that let's us down. However I agree we could do with a couple I don't think we could stretch to 3 players to add a bit more quality. Middlesbrough will show if we have lost that edge at home cause the hull game was a blip in my eyes. They just had a great game plan and stuck to it plus it was our fault for both goals. I am praying the players forget hull and go at Boro. We need the players like Jacobs coutts Robinson Sammon to step up to the plate and prove they are better than Boros quality when we play at home.

SSN is often good for a laugh when matches are cracking off.I particularly remember a midweek session about a year ago when Charlie Nicholas was the pundit.Can't remember who the young presenter was,but he asked why teams didn't play the same away as they did at home (same size pitch etc) and asked if he was being stupid.

I'll never forget the incredulous look on Charlie's face,as though he'd just encountered an alien.When he'd summoned enough composure to make a reply,I think the answer came back something like "You are stupid........you're stupid".He never actually answered the question,but it was so funny.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Typing is pretty much my limit with a computer but I think...

Derby finishing position in away league table >

11/12 - 15th (12th proper table)

10/11 - 19th (19th)

09/10 - 20th (15th)

08/09 - 20th (18th)

That to me is worse than average.

Home table

11/12 - 10th best

10/11 - 21st

09/10 - 10th

08/09 - 14th

I'd forgot what a shocking season 10/11 was!!! A lot of clubs might of changed manager. But we still picked up more points at home even though we finished lower in the home table.

Just thought it was worth throwing this in. If I've done it wrong I apologise and I hope somebody can do it for me.

Oh this year

Home 7th

Away 20th

This year it's really held us back. 20th away!!! We're all looking at keeping touch with the Play Offs for a push in the near future but if our home form drops it'll be a different zone we need to keep an eye on. Really need the away points to improve.

Hey come on we have been top 6 standard at home this season and most fans who go every week would agree. Cardiff and Brighton came away with nothing and we smashed Watford and Blackpool, look at Watford now. It really is the away form that let's us down. However I agree we could do with a couple I don't think we could stretch to 3 players to add a bit more quality. Middlesbrough will show if we have lost that edge at home cause the hull game was a blip in my eyes. They just had a great game plan and stuck to it plus it was our fault for both goals. I am praying the players forget hull and go at Boro. We need the players like Jacobs coutts Robinson Sammon to step up to the plate and prove they are better than Boros quality when we play at home.

No one’s saying our away form is good. I think the second and third sentences of my post needed an extra word or two each for clarity.…

"We can look just as bad at home when we come up against better teams. In fact we can even look just as bad at home for spells when playing average or poor teams and they somehow manage to get on the front foot"

The point is that similar problems ‘can’ arise at home – but the problems become far more obvious and critical when we are under more constant pressure away from home. Clough has to deal with these frailties the best he can.

Blaming the manager’s ‘mentality’ or his tactics for our poor points total away from home is inadequate at best.

To be fair, we haven't struggled to score at home (4-1, 5-1, 3-2, 3-1) and we rarely don't score at home. It fact, we do usually score in every game, there is no real lack of goals. It's the defence. We have weaknesses at CB and LB. We very rarely keep a clean sheet (unless we're playing Forest 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ) and while I believe there has been a vast improvement in our team since last season, in our spell right at the start of the season we looked much tighter at the back. Brayf, Shacks, OB and Gazza all looked very comfortable, while we have now have O'Connor (who is often starting due to him often covering in 3 positions) in quite bad form. An investment at LB is seriously needed this Summer, if not sooner.

U on bus Tommorow?

I'm not using it as a stick to beat them with, but noone can deny where we are, won 9 lost 9 drew 7, scored 37 conceded 37, average, like last season. We may have improved the football at home, but we still cannot do it on a consistent basis.

We will finish around 12th this season, and the next, probably the one after that to, with the only thing that may change is we will have a plaza to go and eat, drink and shop in before the game.

Better than going to PL though, who needs that :-)

I am indeed.

I think this quote by Clough from today's DET shows that he does not coach them to be negative away from home. Clearly he wants them to keep possession but also to do something positive with it. Interesting stats from the away games at Burnley and Charlton and the next stage is having players get on the end of these crosses. Simples really!?

Clough was pleased with Derby's display at Charlton.

"The performance, again, was of a very high standard," he said.

"We have not got our rewards in the last three games. To get only one point from nine is a very unfair return.

"We went to Burnley on Boxing Day, had over half of the possession and made 350-odd passes, which is a lot for an away side but we didn't do much with it. I think we put four crosses in.

"We pointed that out to the players and so at Charlton on Saturday, they put 38 crosses in, which is an awful lot considering the average in the Championship is 13.

"How do we turn the crosses into goals? The quality of the crosses has got to be good and then you need players on the end of them with a desire to go and get a goal in the six-yard box."

Yeah coutts might have been excellent today, how many other games has he stood out though? Ward does more in his cameo role, than coutts has all season.

You going to the same games as anyone else?! Coutts is consistently good and regularly the one who looks to pick the game up by the scruff of the neck. He takes players on, has a good eye for a pass and works as hard as anyone else to get back and support. One of the first names on the team sheet without a doubt...

You going to the same games as anyone else?! Coutts is consistently good and regularly the one who looks to pick the game up by the scruff of the neck. He takes players on, has a good eye for a pass and works as hard as anyone else to get back and support. One of the first names on the team sheet without a doubt...

Rodney, you plonker!

What because I don't rate a player highly has everyone else? He's good, but you've over exaggerated the statement about him being one of the first on the team sheet. Keogh will be the first with him being captain, then Brayford, Hughes, Bryson, Roberts (only experienced left back at the club), sammon, Hendrick...

So that makes Coutts 8th...

Archived