Nigel Cloughs negative away form

Bris Vegas

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players with quality and experience win regularly away from home. We can't afford too many of these hence we don't win many away games.

Whats the role of a manager then?

(IMO) Nigel has had the players to get a better return than 0.93 pts/game, isn't that the debate here?

Its been 2 years since I've attended any significant number of away games in a season, now I need only look to relatively unchanging fortunes to realise a common denominator.

According to the BBC on Charlton vs. Derby, Clough was: "Delighted with away point", personally given circumstances, a struggling team and playing with 10 men for 20 minutes, I'd have preferred something along the lines of, Clough: "Disappointed not to take all three". Its little comments like such that make me question just what our ambitions on the road are.

The role of the manager is to sign the right players and get them playing. With the budget he's got Clough has made the most of what he has at his disposal which is largely lower league, Scottish and youth (i.e. cheap) players. They work hard and play for him. They are also inconsistent and struggle against quality and experience.

Whats the role of a manager then?

(IMO) Nigel has had the players to get a better return than 0.93 pts/game, isn't that the debate here?

Its been 2 years since I've attended any significant number of away games in a season, now I need only look to relatively unchanging fortunes to realise a common denominator.

According to the BBC on Charlton vs. Derby, Clough was: "Delighted with away point", personally given circumstances, a struggling team and playing with 10 men for 20 minutes, I'd have preferred something along the lines of, Clough: "Disappointed not to take all three". Its little comments like such that make me question just what our ambitions on the road are.

I also heard him say that we had enough chances to win two games. I suspect he was very disappointed not to take all three points and that he would have been very pleased if Brayford's header had gone in rather than hitting the post.

The role of the manager is to sign the right players and get them playing. With the budget he's got Clough has made the most of what he has at his disposal which is largely lower league, Scottish and youth (i.e. cheap) players. They work hard and play for him. They are also inconsistent and struggle against quality and experience.

Can I requote you as saying he has done well in getting these players to a 0.93 pt/game average?

I cant really explain it very well, but it's like his attitude is to only just beat the opposition.

If we're drawing away from home against the majority of sides going into the second half, he's happy with that and wont take many risks to win the game.

If we're winning going into the second half, we'll never really push on to make it more, we havent got the counter attacking players to play on the break so it's often defend what we've got.

If we had scored yesterday on about 75 minutes, i expect it would have stayed 2-1, as we wouldnt have done much to make it 3 or 4, when most sides could have done easily as Charlton looked to push forward more for an equaliser.

Yeah coutts might have been excellent today, how many other games has he stood out though? Ward does more in his cameo role, than coutts has all season.

I've seen Doyle for the reserves/under 21s and he really isn't that good. The likes of maguire, cywka and Martin stood head and shoulders above him and where are they now? Shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. Rather give talented youngsters such has Lelan,Bennett or Kwane Thomas a place on the bench.

Watford, Blackpool, Forest...Coutts has set up vital goals and has terrorised left backs with his dribbling. When I talk to rival fans, the player they mention after Will Hughes is more often than not Paul Coutts.

If we as foreign and signed for more than £150k he'd be on the back of everyone's shirt, but because of his price and where he came from, some feel the need to justify his low price tag by honing in on his limitations and weaknesses.

He's one of the better players in a decent Championship side.

I am as frustrated by the difference in our home and away results, and in particular goals scored, as we all are. It's just more difficult away from home so that's where our limitations are more readily exposed.

Yes it is the owners and board's fault. Clough has done enough in the transfer market to have earned a bit of trust with a larger budget. They haven't given it to him. Hence we struggle against quality and experience and show inconsistency.

It's the owners fault we are decent at home but **** away, really?

They are exactly the same players, they play on grass away from Pride Park as well, the goal posts and ball are the same size but its GSE's fault.

Behave.

I suppose its GSE's fault we didn't have snow this Christmas as well.

i haven't been on here long but instinctively I reckon this is taking this pish outtaaaaa Bris? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Sage pops up with little comments like this all over the board..

Mainly because he feels inferior and is clearly jealous of my superior footballing knowledge

Or he's just in love with me like someone else mentioned..

Either way, it's quite disturbing.

It's the owners fault we are decent at home but **** away, really?

They are exactly the same players, they play on grass away from Pride Park as well, the goal posts and ball are the same size but its GSE's fault.

Behave.

I suppose its GSE's fault we didn't have snow this Christmas as well.

You could argue that it's nobody's fault. The Board has put in the amount of money they consider reasonable for players and wages. That doesn't appear to be enough to take us out of the "8-16th" league. Who's to say that they are at fault though. That may well be financially prudent. Clough has brought pretty well in my opinion and I think he would do even better if he had more cash to throw around. But he hasn't. So that's not his fault either. The players try hard and it's just a fact that most teams play better at home than away. So they try their best away from home but some of them aren't quite good enough, at least at the moment. So, that's not their fault either.

The blame culture these days makes a lot of people look for a scapegoat. Many actually enjoy that part of life [booing their own players etc]. That's not for me. I look at what I see and assess from there. I see an improving team who aren't good enough to go up to the Premiership at the moment. That's not to say that we're too far away but I think we are in great need of a regular goalscorer and an imposing central midfielder [ particularly for those away games]...plus another defender? We're not quite there yet in truth....

And yes, of course, it was GSE's fault that it didn't snow and it would have been their fault if it had as well 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Sage pops up with little comments like this all over the board..

Mainly because he feels inferior and is clearly jealous of my superior footballing knowledge

Or he's just in love with me like someone else mentioned..

Either way, it's quite disturbing.

thats proper relationship material what you two have.

Archived