Nigel Cloughs negative away form

Bris Vegas

Can't agree there I'm afraid Andy, will give you a list of proven signing - Roy Carroll, Martin Albrechtsen, Laurent Robert, Fabrizio Ravanelli, Robbie Savage...see a bit of a pattern emerging?!

I would much rather see young, hungry talent signed and given freedom to play their own game in their correct position, if it doesn't work out shift them on

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure any of those five were proven when they were signed. Old and on the way out isn't proven even if they were once good.

I agree with the signing of young with a sell on value which is largely what we have. A bit more experience would be nice too though.

Or we are 12th, where we finished last season

That is true Leeds but anyone who has watched us especially at home this season can not deny that we are improving. Whether it continues remains to be seen but the season has not finished yet. So to use our finishing position as a stick to beat them with now is a bit daft.

You are right, I am jealous of your superior footballing knowledge. I have to watch games to know what happened. Over to you darling.

Well at least we've got that one out the way...

You been to many games recently? Do you still feel superior because you get the pleasure of watching Richard Keogh sort his wedgy out or Paul Coutts tie his shoelaces and the rest of us littlens don't?

Hi G Star, I do draw a connection between the budget available to Clough and performances on the pitch. If Clough was able to buy better players or have a bigger squad of senior players, rather than many young reserves, I believe we would do better. Most of this improvement would come away from home.

I get frustrated when I read fans slagging Clough off when he has such meagre resources to work with. I don't think he's perfect by any means but I do think he's doing an excellent job and deserves more backing from above.

How do you explain Peterborough winning more away games than us this season? Have they spent more? Or does their board pick the starting line-up?

If it's the same players, same goalposts, same corner flags, same people, same players, same weather.. How is there such a big difference between our home form and away form? Why is Clough delighted with a point at Charlton but disappointed with a home draw against Sheff Wed? What's the difference?

Probably because we were winning against Sheffield Wed but came from behind against Charlton? Anyway don't get drawn into believing what managers say in public is what they really think.

What's Peterborough got to do with anything? I'm more concerned that we lost at London Road when our cheap striker missed a sitter to equalise and our cheap centre back got himself sent off at only 1-0!

Stat time, out of the league only two teams has more than 5 away wins and that's Hull on 7

1 with 2 wins

9 with 3 wins

7 with 4 wins

5 with 5 wins

1 with 6 wins

1 with 7 wins

Convert a couple of away losses into wins and you've got yourself a respectable 5 wins and 40pts level with Watford in 6th.

Doesn't really sound that bad when you put it like that does it?

Form can change at anytime that's why I don't buy into this predicting the second half of the season by what we did in the first and writing off the play offs. Find a bit of away form and snatch a few 1-0 wins and you will be in there, maybe that's Clough's thinking? If it fails play for and secure a point.

Entertaining? Not at all but it's a results business he's in.

Have you seen how windy it is outside? GSE's fault that is you know.

I'm more concerned that we lost at London Road when our cheap striker missed a sitter to equalise and our cheap centre back got himself sent off at only 1-0!

I've never seen Premiership stars miss an open goal, they have laser beams attached to their boots, our cheap strikers can't afford those laser beams

Probably because we were winning against Sheffield Wed but came from behind against Charlton? Anyway don't get drawn into believing what managers say in public is what they really think.

What's Peterborough got to do with anything? I'm more concerned that we lost at London Road when our cheap striker missed a sitter to equalise and our cheap centre back got himself sent off at only 1-0!

Sorry I just thought you were under the impression that the budgets are directly linked to away form..

I was just puzzled by this as the team with the smallest budget in the league (P'Boro in 23rd) has won the same amount of away games as the team with the highest budget in the league (Leicester in 5th)

I think you'd imagine Leicester would have a far better away record given their resources.. Or could it be just slightly linked to the fact Nigel Pearson is a defensive manager and away from home their mentality isn't one of an attacking side.. Afterall they've only scored 12 away goals all season (only 1 more than us!) and scored only 8/13.. They've had 5 blanks on the road, I'd blame the manager, not the budget.

Not having a dig but once again your final paragraph shows that you are blinkered.

Who was on the bench at Peterborough? We probably had more expensive players on the bench so are you saying Clough should have played them? Bris has given you stats to show your away form theory is flawed...that is unless you believe Pearson has not been backed by Leicesters owners/board?

That is true Leeds but anyone who has watched us especially at home this season can not deny that we are improving. Whether it continues remains to be seen but the season has not finished yet. So to use our finishing position as a stick to beat them with now is a bit daft.

U on bus Tommorow?

I'm not using it as a stick to beat them with, but noone can deny where we are, won 9 lost 9 drew 7, scored 37 conceded 37, average, like last season. We may have improved the football at home, but we still cannot do it on a consistent basis.

We will finish around 12th this season, and the next, probably the one after that to, with the only thing that may change is we will have a plaza to go and eat, drink and shop in before the game.

Better than going to PL though, who needs that :-)

You could argue that it's nobody's fault. The Board has put in the amount of money they consider reasonable for players and wages. That doesn't appear to be enough to take us out of the "8-16th" league. Who's to say that they are at fault though. That may well be financially prudent. Clough has brought pretty well in my opinion and I think he would do even better if he had more cash to throw around. But he hasn't. So that's not his fault either. The players try hard and it's just a fact that most teams play better at home than away. So they try their best away from home but some of them aren't quite good enough, at least at the moment. So, that's not their fault either.

The blame culture these days makes a lot of people look for a scapegoat. Many actually enjoy that part of life [booing their own players etc]. That's not for me. I look at what I see and assess from there. I see an improving team who aren't good enough to go up to the Premiership at the moment. That's not to say that we're too far away but I think we are in great need of a regular goalscorer and an imposing central midfielder [ particularly for those away games]...plus another defender? We're not quite there yet in truth....

And yes, of course, it was GSE's fault that it didn't snow and it would have been their fault if it had as well 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Post of the year. A couple of first XI recruits in the summer with barker too and we should be in the 3rd-7th league next year. We might be onto something with this slow and steady approach!

Post of the year. A couple of first XI recruits in the summer with barker too and we should be in the 3rd-7th league next year. We might be onto something with this slow and steady approach!

I agree. do we really think that with the addition of a couple of players (because that's all we could afford), we would be anything but embarrassing in the Premier League? We are better where we are. Enjoy the 8 or so victories we will have between now and the rest of the season, hope we have a cup run and look forward to seeing a young team blossom .

I've listed international players who played at the top level and other than Savage all continued playing after leaving us.

In terms of having experience, although we have a young team they are far from inexperienced.

Where did Albrechtson and Robert play after us?

Archived