Nigel Cloughs negative away form

Bris Vegas

Nigel Clough later today against Charlton will be completing his 92nd NPC league match away from home..

You all know I'm not a fan of how he sets up away from home but after 92 league games I think it's enough to look at the bigger picture and see if his 'style' is working..

This is a look at our goals over the 92 games..

0 goals scored = 34 games (37%)

1 goal scored = 33 games (36%)

2 goals scored = 19 games (21%)

3 goals scored = 5 games (6%)

You can blatantly see how goal shy we are.. in only 26% of his away games have we scored 2 goals or more, way below the average and miles off a team wanting to get into the top 6..

Doesn't take a rocket science to work out that by trying to actually score goals and win games away from home would give us a far better chance of a top 6 spot..

In his 91 games he's gone

Win = 21 (23%)

Draw = 22 (24%)

Lose = 48 (53%)

Average points per game = 0.93

So in NCs tenure we're averaging less than 1 point per game.. That's why I say that unless he changes his methods we'll never get promoted under him as we won't accumulate enough home points to compensate for a woeful away record..

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The figures speak for themselves and prove that there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

They certainly do not "prove" that Nigel is a bad manager and/or needs replacing IMO.

The more fundamental problem at this juncture is that we are totally ineffective with set pieces.

How many times recently have we completely failed to capitalise on superiority in possession due to an inability to follow up on a corner, free kick, throw in etc. Then to give away unnecessary points because the other team has learned how to score from set pieces whether or not they are being totally outplayed in open play.

This is an aspect that is not dependent on whether we are playing at home or away.

Home play was a massive advantage in our rent-a-swamp days at the dear old BBG but in the sterile atmospher of PP I find it surprising that there is such a disparity between home and away form.

Nigel needs to find a way of changing the players' mindset.

Take a few more chances when away from home and go for it!

The scoring opportunities, and the away fan base will develop with success.

A Charlton Athletic fan put us down for a 5-1 win..

I don't think we've scored 4 goals away from home in a league match for the past 10 years (surely another unwanted record) let alone 5!

methinks he's trying to lull us into a false sense of security..

The figures speak for themselves and prove that there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

They certainly do not "prove" that Nigel is a bad manager and/or needs replacing IMO.

The more fundamental problem at this juncture is that we are totally ineffective with set pieces.

How many times recently have we completely failed to capitalise on superiority in possession due to an inability to follow up on a corner, free kick, throw in etc. Then to give away unnecessary points because the other team has learned how to score from set pieces whether or not they are being totally outplayed in open play.

This is an aspect that is not dependent on whether we are playing at home or away.

Home play was a massive advantage in our rent-a-swamp days at the dear old BBG but in the sterile atmospher of PP I find it surprising that there is such a disparity between home and away form.

Nigel needs to find a way of changing the players' mindset.

Take a few more chances when away from home and go for it!

The scoring opportunities, and the away fan base will develop with success.

Agree - I switch off when we get a free-kick or corner. There seems to be no great plan at all. I just get the impression from watching that the team spends all its training time playing lovely five-a-side passing and that this is their only route to goal. Other than Keogh and Hendrick (and Buxton when he plays), there's no-one you would bet on to win a header and direct it. When we defend, there are only two or three you would rely on to clear the ball. I guess at this level you either get the passers or the brutes.

When we're away, we seem to take up a defensive stance from the kick-off and in the absence of an established central defensive partnership, this looks fragile. I think we should go for it for a change. Charlton aren't exactly pulling up trees and our position means we can take a few risks.

Go on Nigel - be a devil!

Nigel Clough later today against Charlton will be completing his 92nd NPC league match away from home..

You all know I'm not a fan of how he sets up away from home but after 92 league games I think it's enough to look at the bigger picture and see if his 'style' is working..

This is a look at our goals over the 92 games..

0 goals scored = 34 games (37%)

1 goal scored = 33 games (36%)

2 goals scored = 19 games (21%)

3 goals scored = 5 games (6%)

You can blatantly see how goal shy we are.. in only 26% of his away games have we scored 2 goals or more, way below the average and miles off a team wanting to get into the top 6..

Doesn't take a rocket science to work out that by trying to actually score goals and win games away from home would give us a far better chance of a top 6 spot..

In his 91 games he's gone

Win = 21 (23%)

Draw = 22 (24%)

Lose = 48 (53%)

Average points per game = 0.93

So in NCs tenure we're averaging less than 1 point per game.. That's why I say that unless he changes his methods we'll never get promoted under him as we won't o enough home points to compensate for a woeful away record..

or wecscore in 63% of games and gain points in 47% of games.

This year our home form has improved and we have had our best first half of a season since promotion

Signs of improvement

We just don't take risks.

Mr Tibbs is spot on as usual. We 'set up' differently. It's everybody making sure they keep things tight and simple. It's too safe. It must be because we lose as much as we win

I think Nigel has always played too safe. Apart from purple patches (this season not included) I think we've worried far more about not losing than winning. About doing what's safest. We've had our moments (at home) but overall I'd say we have been a conservative side.

This season has been a much longer/braver attempt at playing possession football.

Away though. The midfield hold a flat line, striker(s) get isolated. The home team take encouragement, we get rattled, they get in, we get sloppy, they score, we're stuck in 2nd gear and 1-0 down. Everything is against us now. It's too late.

I just want to see them set about things with more arrogance. Just leave a few holes to get into promising areas. You might lose 5-0, but we do these things at home. We risk getting caught on the counter at home and.... Well, we often don't get caught. We might even win 5-0.

It's like the Hull home game. I've heard loads of moaning about that but it wasn't a bad performance. Hull are good. But some of those thinking they have discovered a new problem should check out a few away games. Isolated striker, flat midfield/square passing..... add some flapping and and touch of clumsiness and you've got an away game. Against P'Boro/Barnsley/ Watford etc.

At least that game was against a good opponent!

The keep it tight, flat tight lines and work off a striker approach would be sold to me if it worked more often. It does for some teams. But look at our away record. Look at how we go to Milwall/Watford and are happy to draw before KO. Lets try being more pro active than reactive.

We try to make good decisions and keep things so safe a 7/10 every home game player like Bryson becomes a 6/10. Everybody just loses that spark away. And the whole team drops.

If 'away Derby' came to PP and played 'home Derby' next Saturday we'd all say they came for a draw. But we'd beat them because for some reason they aren't that solid.

It's a shame because we have made progress this year. It just could of felt even better.

Progress is progress i suppose.

It's about mentality I think. Not formations.

Can I just clarify what do you mean by go at teams???

Playing 442

Shooting from long range instead of build up play

Team pressing

High defensive line

Getting numbers in the box

????? What tactic would you change to be more "go get them" away from home ??

I think only a manager/coach could know HOW to change it.

As a fan all we can do is look at what we do, what other teams do and what othe Derby teams have done. We can see what needs to be done but if we knew how to make it happen we could all be earning a lot of money.

How do you ignite that spark in a player?

How do you push a team forward?

How do you drill patterns and good decisions into players?

Some must come from the player himself but the rest..... god knows!

I'm just hoping Wardy is going to give us that outlet (albeit a very one-man teamish outlet) in the final third that we've not seen much away from home this year.

I might be clutching at straws as It's a few months ago but I really, really, really liked what I saw at Molineux in August. 4-4-1-1 with Ward behind Sammon, we looked brill to be fair. I haven't enjoyed controlling an away game/creating as many clear cut opportunities as we did that game for a long time. Even Sammon looked half decent!

It's not great pinning my hopes on Ward but when I watch us away from home I just want someone to grow some balls and have a go. Jamie's that guy, he's the only midfielder (when played there) that won't sit back when the rest of the team is doing. After Bryson, Hendrick and co have passed the ball side to side for half an hour it eventually ends up with Ward who looks to make things happen.

Maybe he can give us that spark away from home.

We need the width that a match fit Ward brings, together with codpiece and the boy wonder - a great combination. When we have the solidity at the back (Barks, Fielding) that we had, then we can attack without worrying about having to get back to defend. Could be a great new year 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Archived