Will Hughes

blackNwhites

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The under 21s games don't seem to get as big crowds anymore. I remember going to a few at pride park. Especially the Holland one, David Dunn scored the winner against a dutch team with Van Der Vaart in the side.

All I remember about that game is the 4 Holland fans...

Hughes couldn't really get going as the pitch was dire second half.

Very neat little three tap between two defenders in their box before a Swedish player came and smashed the ball away for a corner. We scored from the resulting corner so you could give him credit there.

His passing was pretty much flawless as per, I counted around 3 misplaced passes and he lost possession 2 times.

But the main thing is he didnt look like a lost sheep. Definitely belonged in the flock.

It was. Tom Ince thrived in the mud pit as he is used to playing on those pitches having played at Blackpool, which is dire as you say. But even Tom said that in the second half the pitch was holding the team back considerably.

The current u-21 crop look to have some real talent. Ince in particular played very well tonight - the best performance I've seen from him in a long time. To say Will gives the best young players in England 4 years, he just does not look out of place and seems to have put last month's indifferent form behind him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a call-up to the full England squad for a friendly in the next 12 months. Whether he gets on the pitch or not is a different matter, but Roy Hodgson is not afraid of introducing youth to the squad for a taste of the action. And of course Burton's not far away.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a call-up to the full England squad for a friendly in the next 12 months. Whether he gets on the pitch or not is a different matter, but Roy Hodgson is not afraid of introducing youth to the squad for a taste of the action.

I'm glad Will doesn't have a head like you 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

One step at a time slow down. I seriously doubt Will, Will play for the England senior squad in the next 12 months. However I am not ruling it out at all. The one thing Will has above all else is that there are no players like him in the England set-up from Senior to under 19. He has a chance, a great chance but get your feet on the ground.

I'm glad Will doesn't have a head like you 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

One step at a time slow down. I seriously doubt Will, Will play for the England senior squad in the next 12 months. However I am not ruling it out at all. The one thing Will has above all else is that there are no players like him in the England set-up from Senior to under 19. He has a chance, a great chance but get your feet on the ground.

Who said 'play for England'?

I'm not advocating that Will Hughes SHOULD be called up for England - I merely stated that I wouldn't be surprised if he was called up to a squad. It is designed to give the player a small sample of what it's about in a game that probably means nothing, and it gets them accustomed to the way the England squad works. Then, when they get called up in a couple of years time, they are not overawed by the situation.

It happened to Raheem Sterling at 17, it happened to Wilfried Zaha at 19, hell, it happened to Frank Fielding a year or so ago, although unlike the other two I mentioned he never got any game time.

Who said 'play for England'?

I'm not advocating that Will Hughes SHOULD be called up for England - I merely stated that I wouldn't be surprised if he was called up to a squad. It is designed to give the player a small sample of what it's about in a game that probably means nothing, and it gets them accustomed to the way the England squad works. Then, when they get called up in a couple of years time, they are not overawed by the situation.

It happened to Raheem Sterling at 17, it happened to Wilfried Zaha at 19, hell, it happened to Frank Fielding a year or so ago, although unlike the other two I mentioned he never got any game time.

Their are currently 13 players ahead of Will in the pecking order that play/can play his position. After Rio 2014 4 will most likely retire from football in general, retire from international football or just not be fit enough to play so many games any more. Another 2-3 are on the fringes and after 2014 probably would no longer be considered.

I can see him making the full England squad after Rio 2014.

Archived