Will Hughes

DcFc Dyycheee

Theo Robinson is basically a sprinter in a football kit, pace is it for him, he has the worst touch in the squad, he can't run and kick a ball at the same time, and he thinks the goal is 30 feet in the air above the goal post, yeah he scores goals but he's so inconsistent everyone around me in the north stand always groans when he misses, because they are pretty painful misses, I like Sammon, we need a striker who has pace but also has great balance and stamina to flow the ball through midfield, There's some player called Russel who's a cf who plays for Dundee utd who's awesome.

Shame about White.

I understand you don't like Robinson, probably because he annoys you, but your analysis of him seems rather stupid. You're barely contributing to the thread if you're not going to give a reasonable analysis of a player...pffft, pointless.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would Michu be priceless if he was 17.. It doesn't matter how old he is it all depends on potential.. A player could be 15-22 but if his potential at 26-32 is greater then that's his worth..

There are no garauntees a good youngster will turn out to be an absolute gem... If they did, then England would have already won the WC with Francis Jeffers and Niel Mellor leading the line..

I think people are confused by what I'm saying.. We can all say 'well if Henderson is worth $16mill then Will Hughes must be at least $10mill'.. Football doesn't work like that, especially with the ridiculous overspending of British clubs..

If we are to get anywhere near an 8 figure sum that would be monumental for DCFC.. But Hughes isn't worth that.. Nowhere near than at a world market price.. But we all know how stupid the PL clubs are so it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that Liverpool come knocking in the summer with a big bid..

But they don't need to.. I'm telling you this 100%.. There are plenty of players abroad with similar ability and similar potential (even more) that would go for $1mill...

But again the key point raised here is his age.. You ask me to find a better 17 year old playing football.. His age here becomes meaningless if I can tell you a thousand footballers with better potential with an age of U22..

Marco Reus was bought for $1mill as a 20 year old.. At 17 perhaps he hadn't even made the reserves of his first club Rot Weiss Ahlen.. Are you saying that Will Hughes has more potential than him? Just because he's playing regularly at 17 years old?

How do we know that in 2 years time some 20 year old from Charlton is tearing up the NPC.. But in this moment in time he's barely shining for the U21s?

You're looking for disagreement that isn't there; I have no doubt that anyone paying over a few million for him is being ripped off themselves. But to us, he's worth more than he's worth to Barca. He's the best player we'll produce this decade and a player we're probably not going to be able to replace when we sell him. That adds a lot to his pricetag. There's more to a player's valuation than his ability.

The fact is, for me, that Hughes is playing below his level. Today was another example. In at least half a dozen games I've watched this season, he's been the best player on the pitch, and sometimes in games that really shouldn't suit him. I know we've been here before, but Bueno just couldn't play in games that didn't suit him. Yes, we went to hoofball tactics blah blah blah, but my goodness did he have some bad games. Even if Hughes doesn't progress at all for the rest of his career, he's going to end up somewhere better than here.

Some people say he's overrated because of his age, but many of these people focus on this too much. Even ignoring his age, the player has got something special. Today he displayed it more than ever.

I said it in the other Will Hughes thread, and I'll say it again here. Players like Giles Barnes will always be branded 'wonderkids' because they developed early physically and they can do fancy skills that look good on highlights. The media hypes them up, fanfare is created and bad managers buy them. With Hughes it is different. He's an intelligent footballer who has clearly not fully developed physically yet.

Also, you can say age is factor - I didn't say it's the be-all and end-all. There are plenty of late developers who will no doubt end up better than Will Hughes (unless he's going to be the best player in the world, which of course I'm not claiming), but for a player of this ability, playing this club, and considering his age, he just will go for more money than he would if he was 20 and playing in the Spanish second division. I'm not saying that's right Bris, but that's how it is. It's ridiculous, but it's how it is.

You're telling me that a 17 year old who had scored 13 goals for Swansea would go for £2m? And you're saying there's "thousands" with his potential? There are barely thousands in La Liga squads!

Why not just enjoy it, Bris? You have been lamenting our lack of creativity in the centre for many years and always complain about the kind of players we produce in this country. I really thought you'd be delighted to see a player like Will Hughes in the team, and I actually remember thinking how pleasing it will be for you to have a player like that in our side after his display against Peterborough on the final day of the season. I don't see a lot of praise or pleasure from watching him, maybe I'm mistaken.

Makes no difference if that shot had gone in. Trust me when I say every manager in the top two divisions will know about Will Hughes and every manager will have the scouts and coaches preparing plans on how to stop him being effective.

Someone asked me what I would do with him - keep him for as long as we can but when an offer we cannot refuse comes in (I think Geoffrey Rush has a huge role to play here) we accept and sell.

As for Hughes, I would take playing games over training and coaching every days of the week. I don't think there is any substitute for being out on the pitch. He'll become street wise, he'll become more knowledgeable and gain strength and he is learning all the time. I see it in his play now. Last few games he has put his foot in, occasionally put his head in and for me got physically stronger. You don't get that on the training pitch.

I am certainly not disregarding training and coaching but I don't know what Clough is doing there. There are aspects of our play where I think how the hell has that not been coached and improved - for instance, yesterday 3 times we failed with simple throw ins and

Pass back from the throw in, I have never seen Robinson make a decent run towards the ball and anticipate something before a defender (he is ok running away from the ball), I don't think we take quick free kicks effectively (yesterday shows what happens when you do). I could come up within a whole list if I sit down and think about it and these are things which don't improve during the season.

[size=3]The club now have a huge dilemma over Will Hughes.[/size]

[size=3]At present he looks like the best thing since sliced bread. I would argue that he looks a better player than either Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard did at his age. However, he has only played around twenty games and could easily experience a dip of form or get injured. If the transfer window opened today then offers would be flowing in. Yet I don’t believe that we would receive any absolutely ridiculous offers – say over £10m, which the club should and would accept in a heartbeat. To refuse would be daft, given the precarious nature of a young footballer’s career development.[/size]

[size=3]I reckon we’d get a few offers of between £3m and £5m. It would be very interesting to see what happened then. The problem is that refusing an offer like that from a Premier League team might very well upset young Mr Hughes. I know people are saying stuff about him staying here and learning his trade. Personally, I think that he’d develop better if he was surrounded by quality players and it won’t be long before some nasty agent points that out to Will.[/size]

[size=3]Now, selling for £5m seems pretty good for a player who cost us nothing. If Nigel was given £5m to spend on transfer fees than I reckon we have a serious shot at promotion. Yet, £5m won’t mean that will it? The club is over its wage budget and trading at a loss. Most of that money would likely just go to prop up the finances. Nigel would probably be allowed to bring in a replacement for Hughes and maybe loan in another player. Overall, the team could easily end up worse, although the balance sheet would look temporarily better.[/size]

[size=3]That scenario would, of course, make the owners pretty unpopular. Selling our best player and effectively keeping the money. It could also result in even lower attendances and a further drop in season ticket sales for next season. Suddenly the Hughes money could be swallowed up by falling revenue. [/size]

[size=3]There is also another path the club could choose. Give Will Hughes a huge contract so he won’t mind so much not playing in the Premier League (or equivalent overseas league). Make Hughes the foundation of Derby County. Bring in players to compliment his style. This could work, but of course carries huge risks. Hughes may not maintain his current form. It would be somewhat irritating to have to pay off his new £20k pw four year contract in eighteen months as he turned out to be a flash in the pan. Such a contract could also create problem with the rest of the squad and introduce inflationary pressures. And of course, we’re already over the wage budget with will on (at a guess) £2k pw.[/size]

[size=3]If Hughes still looks a world beater in January then I have to say that the club could easily be faced with a no win situation. I would hate to be the who has to make these decisions. [/size]

Someone asked me what I would do with him - keep him for as long as we can but when an offer we cannot refuse comes in (I think Geoffrey Rush has a huge role to play here) we accept and sell.

Is Geoffrey "acting" CEO until Sam arrives or does Will have a speech impediment?!

It would be good if the club acknowledged the interest in him -and then added something like 'but Will and his family think he would be better staying here for a season or two'. I suppose that's just too simple though!

No it's not simple, it's wrong. Who said there interest in him? Who said this family want him to stay for a season or two? Are you really that bored that your making something up so you can complain about the club?

No it's not simple, it's wrong. Who said there interest in him? Who said this family want him to stay for a season or two? Are you really that bored that your making something up so you can complain about the club?

Someone has already posted that Will and his family thought he'd be better here and there have been lots of posts about interest , from other clubs. Can't for the life of me see how that's complaining about the club which, incidentally, I never do.

Just thought it would be a nice gesture but acknowledging it's more complicated than that!

Hughes has improved so much already in just half a season. At the start of the season he was showing touches of class but he's now running the game and creating chances regularly as well as getting into good positions and having chances too. Not to mention the tackles he was putting in too.

I really don't worry about him being a flash in the pan due to the type of player he is. Tricky fast players or big strong youngsters often come through as the next big thing but don't deliver however Hughes is clearly a very gifted footballer and I highly doubt he will be a one season wonder. At the start of the season he was a luxury player showing promise and for good money I would of sold him however now he seems to be so good he could get us out of this division with a good team around him. He's on a long contract and his value is only going to go up.

I have a feeling when he eventually leaves us he will go to Liverpool. From his tweets he seems to support Liverpool and they could be the right team for him. Brendon Rodgers likes the passing game so it could suit him well

Personally I hope he stays and develops with us for many years to come

I have a feeling when he eventually leaves us he will go to Liverpool. From his tweets he seems to support Liverpool and they could be the right team for him. Brendon Rodgers likes the passing game so it could suit him well

Personally I hope he stays and develops with us for many years to come

Arsenals centre mid is where he belongs wilshire hughes cazorla

Archived