What if.....

DCFCfranco

Which is not football league of course.He apparently managed a sunday morning pub team and did quite

well.

so, are you going to hit any reasonable point any time soon? you think we would be better off with Roy McFarland is the jist of what you're trying to say.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duracell you call that a logical reasoned argument?you are having a laugh mate.Still

when you are that young you know it all.

Good God man, tear your head from your backside and please stick your opinions up there instead.

This forum's going downhill if this is the standard of new poster, deary me.

Roy McFarland in the seventies was arguably the best centre-back this country has ever produced.

He is an extremely nice bloke and so modest you would never know how good he was.Pity he was never

successful as a manager,but Burton trusted him to do a job for them and he did it.He left them in

good nick and they have done ok since.He retired after,and no I wasn't saying he should come back

or anyone else who has been a past manager.There is no vacancy here anyway.

Roy McFarland in the seventies was arguably the best centre-back this country has ever produced.

He is an extremely nice bloke and so modest you would never know how good he was.Pity he was never

successful as a manager,but Burton trusted him to do a job for them and he did it.He left them in

good nick and they have done ok since.He retired after,and no I wasn't saying he should come back

or anyone else who has been a past manager.There is no vacancy here anyway.

Oddly, Roy Mac's record of managing us is pretty good - it's just that expectations were higher. His win percentage was around 44%. That is better than Smith, Cox or Burley, pretty much the same as Dave Mackay and only a little worse than Brian Clough's and Billy Davies's. Nigel's is still hovering at around 32%. Everyone always assumes that Roy failed, but the stats seem to show a different story.

Just a few points.. Clough was offered this job because of his name, nothing to do with the job he did at Burton..

Secondly Hill has it far harder than Clough.. Every year we buy at least one player for a million plus, Barnsley every year sell one.. We did afterall buy their best CB.. People think that Clough has spent feck all.. He hasn't, he has spent money, and quite abit too.. Keith Hill on the other hand has spent next to nothing and has his better players poached every year..

Also people forget he's only in his second year at Barnsley.. Cloughs first 2 years here were absolutely terrible.. We finished on 56 points (Clough spent money on Porter, Barker, Moxey) and then 49 points the following season (buying Ben Davies, Brayford and Bailey)

Obviously the following season was better but it's not like we didn't spend any money.. Every summer we spend over $1mill, Barnsley don't and they constantly lose players..

Clough is the right man for the job and to speculate on his successor is quite pointless. Our management is in place for the next 10 years. Now we just have to play a waiting game until those around us realise that our stringent policy is the only sustainable way forward at which time we'll be ahead of the game.

Good point about the sustainability just a question of waiting for the football bubble to burst, Pompey, Glasgow Rangers etc

Can't believe I saw Mick McCarthy's name mentioned 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Behave boys.

How are your necks, looking up at us?

How does it feel knowing your players can only get motivated for 2 games a season, seeing us fight for promotion whilst you're looking over your shoulder at the relegation places?

Fook off back to your banter thread...... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Just a few points.. Clough was offered this job because of his name, nothing to do with the job he did at Burton..

Secondly Hill has it far harder than Clough.. Every year we buy at least one player for a million plus, Barnsley every year sell one.. We did afterall buy their best CB.. People think that Clough has spent feck all.. He hasn't, he has spent money, and quite abit too.. Keith Hill on the other hand has spent next to nothing and has his better players poached every year..

Also people forget he's only in his second year at Barnsley.. Cloughs first 2 years here were absolutely terrible.. We finished on 56 points (Clough spent money on Porter, Barker, Moxey) and then 49 points the following season (buying Ben Davies, Brayford and Bailey)

Obviously the following season was better but it's not like we didn't spend any money.. Every summer we spend over $1mill, Barnsley don't and they constantly lose players..

In fairness, two of three of Clough's first seasons had us with injuries of over 12 players at times, ridiculous injuries that forced us further down the table than we should've been.

Hill is clearly decent though, I like him and he'd be my choice in this hypothetical situation. Perhaps the manager at R.C.D Mallorca or is that way too much of a push? I suspect so, but it's a nice though.

Damn Americans and their lavish ways, throwing money at Nigel!

We've sold quite a few players mind, since our relegation - Shackell deal was bigger than advertised clearly, and with Davies going on top for over half a million we ended up with 2 million+ players this summer.

Barnsley signed Shackell for nearly a million, and sold him for nearly a million - had it rough with Butterfield but on the whole they do the same as us, work on a tight budget - and have to sell to buy, much like us.

We perhaps have it a little easier, because we're a bigger club and more income but that is probably the reason why we picked up 16pts more than Barnsley last season (equates to 5 wins)

Both good managers, working on small budgets in a division that is becoming more financially difficult to compete in.

Thing is from what i read Barnsley are debt free, we are not and so Clough has had to contend with slashing the wage bill as he attempts to put together and maintain a competitive squad in a league which is getting more and more difficult financially for clubs who don't have a sugar daddy or the parachute payments.

The rate we're going, Clough's admirable loyalty will never be tested - something of a concern in itself.

I thought I heard Clough talking of some sort of 10 year plan? Our previous plans: top 10 Premier league/global brand, back at the first attempt/with parachute money, playoffs (well apart from season ticket renewal time), all appear to have been forgotten. I must admit, given the failure of the club to attain any of its footballing targets to date, I've not got a great deal of hope that we'll do anything other than consistently introduce new underwhelming aims to coincide with the accompanying decline in expectation of the fanbase. The only thing that is changing is the level of interest (or lack of) in where Derby are going, be it up or down, even the club with its grandiose bulls**t claims of yesteryear seems to be pretty quiet on the unsubstantiated ambition these days (perhaps Glick's replacement is still warming up) - even they realise its not worked out. Lets face it, our owners f**ked up, thought English football was a licence to print money, were wrong and their current new strategy is by the sounds of it Financial Fairplay. Make no mistake its an undisputed disaster we're still in the Championship now given what was said upon takeover. It really doesn't matter who the manager is barring incompetence. Clough does alright, Hill would probably be decent...

The rate we're going, Clough's admirable loyalty will never be tested - something of a concern in itself.

I thought I heard Clough talking of some sort of 10 year plan? Our previous plans: top 10 Premier league/global brand, back at the first attempt/with parachute money, playoffs (well apart from season ticket renewal time), all appear to have been forgotten. I must admit, given the failure of the club to attain any of its footballing targets to date, I've not got a great deal of hope that we'll do anything other than consistently introduce new underwhelming aims to coincide with the accompanying decline in expectation of the fanbase. The only thing that is changing is the level of interest (or lack of) in where Derby are going, be it up or down, even the club with its grandiose bulls**t claims of yesteryear seems to be pretty quiet on the unsubstantiated ambition these days (perhaps Glick's replacement is still warming up) - even they realise its not worked out. Lets face it, our owners f**ked up, thought English football was a licence to print money, were wrong and their current new strategy is by the sounds of it Financial Fairplay. Make no mistake its an undisputed disaster we're still in the Championship now given what was said upon takeover. It really doesn't matter who the manager is barring incompetence. Clough does alright, Hill would probably be decent...

I agree with you, sadly.

The only ambition the board has shown is to try and get the rest of English football to become like us. If they do it, fair play to them. It won't achieve much for us though.

The only positive thing I have to say about this current regime is the Academy. I get genuine pleasure (not in that way) from seeing us produce our own young players, especially local ones. No way would we have signed a player of Hughes' quality. I'm enjoying watching him while he's still with us.

As many of you have alluded to, Clough is here to stay and it's unlikely he'll be relieved of his duties if we finish in a worse position than last season or even if we were to somehow get relegated.

I'd really like for Clough to get us moving in an upwards trajectory and vindicate the current regime's loyalty to him so this kind of debate could be revisited in the future and we could say: 'well lads, if Nigel doesn't get us into the Champions League, who do you think can come in and do a better job?' but instead we'll probably still be talking about finishing in the top half of the Championship as a step in the right direction years from now and it saddens me.

I don't think it's in any of our interests for Clough to fail and as much as some of us criticise the job he's done, we're all willing him on to do better. Maybe not short skirt and poms poms encouragement but it's still there.

I want to believe in Clough and the current regime. But honestly I refuse to believe when Clough was interviewed for the job, anyone would have envisaged it taking three seasons for us to muster a top-half finish in the same division let alone anyone saying it was a job well done. But here we are.

The board have been consistent in their loyalty to Clough but not necessarily their vision for the club. Let's face it, the goalposts have been moved enough times, they're almost in Alaska. That what concerns me. I've lost sight of what the current regime are actually trying to achieve.

As for who I'd like to succeed Clough in the event of his dismissal, Chris Powell would be a good choice.

And you know Clough was offered the job because of his name because what.......you have insider knowledge?

Clough was given the job beacuse he served his time in the lower leagues and proved himself to be a highly successful manager. He managed to take a very unfancied non-league club into the main leagues. An incredibly difficult feat and one that he deserves huge credit.

You don't seem to realise this Bris. To say he got the job because of his name is insulting to the board and insulting to Clough and the great job he did at Burton.

Who gives a toss about his name? I certainly don't. I look at what he is doing to our club and for that I see some very good things. We have in Clough the most loyal of managers who will stay with us through thick and thin. I honestly feel that we owe him a huge debt of gratitude for the wonderful job he has done at Derby so far. Many other managers would have walked given the financial constraints.

As regards your comments about Keith Hill. Have you and him got something going on the side? I seem to remember last season you were adamant that the mighty Barnsley would finish higher in the table than Derby. The only reason they stayed in the same division as Derby is down to Portsmouth going into financial meltdown. You seem to be Barnsley this and Barnsley that.

And finally your point on Clough spending a million a season: What one hand giveth, the other taketh away.

The man maybe given a million but is asked to shed more than that from the wage bill.

Archived