What if.....

DCFCfranco

I’ve only seen two potential PL quality players during Clough’s entire time at Derby. Commons at his best and Hughes. That’s it. The best of the rest have been good to very good championship players. The rest of the rest have been average to not very good at all.

Bringing in just one or two quality players could utterly transform what is now a decent championship side by creating the space for players with more average ability to exploit. But to do that would require the owners to spend a bit more cash on the squad - and that’s not Clough’s responsibility.

Btw, Roberts was sh*te…but now he’s alright.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roberts is a good, honest defender. Every team needs it's week in, week out 6/10 man. He's not going to hit the byline and deliver a pinpoint cross, nor score from 20 yards, but if you want a winger kept quiet, he's your man.

I also think Naylor will make a good player given half a chance. Trouble is, on this site if you have a bad game, you're confined to the scrapheap. I have seen Naylor play really well - he just looks a bit nervous. Of course, if he played in front of a crowd that applauded from time to time it would help....

Neither Tyson nor Theo are ****. Tyson just isn't consistently good enough. Theo is raw and awkward. He would probably get 30 goals in division 2 and would then be touted by us as the next must have player. However, at chamionship level, there are enough good defenders to keep him quiet. He'll still get us 10-12 goals this season.

Does anyone know why Bennett doesn't get a chance anymore. Has he gone 'backwards'?

I’ve only seen two potential PL quality players during Clough’s entire time at Derby. Commons at his best and Hughes. That’s it. The best of the rest have been good to very good championship players. The rest of the rest have been average to not very good at all.

Bringing in just one or two quality players could utterly transform what is now a decent championship side by creating the space for players with more average ability to exploit. But to do that would require the owners to spend a bit more cash on the squad - and that’s not Clough’s responsibility.

Btw, Roberts was sh*te…but now he’s alright.

In fairness, I can agree with that - depending on what your term of 'premier league' is.

If someone said to me, you've got to pick a squad that will finish in the top half of the premier league the only players from Derby I would pick...

Frank Fielding (back up GK)

Mason Bennett (potential)

Will Hughes (potential)

The rest will never get to that standard - but for what we want, at this moment in time they're good enough.

In fairness, I can agree with that - depending on what your term of 'premier league' is.

If someone said to me, you've got to pick a squad that will finish in the top half of the premier league the only players from Derby I would pick...

Frank Fielding (back up GK)

Mason Bennett (potential)

Will Hughes (potential)

The rest will never get to that standard - but for what we want, at this moment in time they're good enough.

In fairness, for what we want at this moment in time, they’re not really good enough. Unless what you want at the moment is a solid, decent, hardworking mid table championship side rather than one challenging for promotion.

In fairness, maybe Sammon will show himself to be a much better player in time, maybe Hendrick will get over his second season blues, maybe Ward’s glass hamstrings will sort themselves out, maybe Theo will find a brain, maybe...

In fairness, for what we want at this moment in time, they’re not really good enough. Unless what you want at the moment is a solid, decent, hardworking mid table championship side rather than one challenging for promotion.

In fairness, maybe Sammon will show himself to be a much better player in time, maybe Hendrick will get over his second season blues, maybe Ward’s glass hamstrings will sort themselves out, maybe Theo will find a brain, maybe...

I was also going to quote that.. Perhaps Ambitious got confused with his words.. Because being a drab midtable side that seems incapable of stringing a few wins on the trot is certainly not what I want..

Just another point that's been mentioned in this thread alot.. Since when has the word 'hardworking' been used as a good thing to describe footballers.. I couldn't give a feck how hard they work or how many kilometers they run around the pitch, I'm interested in their ball ability...

I never saw the likes of Eranio and Baiano run around like headless chickens covering 15 kilometers a game and get praised for it.. In fact I'm pretty sure Jim Smith never gave a feck how much they run... What's important is what they do with the ball..

I want 11 ballplaying footballers, not 11 cross-country runners..

I was also going to quote that.. Perhaps Ambitious got confused with his words.. Because being a drab midtable side that seems incapable of stringing a few wins on the trot is certainly not what I want..

Just another point that's been mentioned in this thread alot.. Since when has the word 'hardworking' been used as a good thing to describe footballers.. I couldn't give a feck how hard they work or how many kilometers they run around the pitch, I'm interested in their ball ability...

I never saw the likes of Eranio and Baiano run around like headless chickens covering 15 kilometers a game and get praised for it.. In fact I'm pretty sure Jim Smith never gave a feck how much they run... What's important is what they do with the ball..

I don't think you will find any successful manager in any major league who will agree with you about hard work not being important.

You are correct that Baiano didn't run round like a headless chicken. He ran round intelligently working very hard for the team. Running for running's sake is not sensible or to the teams benefit and that is a part of the game that some of our players have to get better at.

Having watched most of Derby's games live this season, I can assure you that in the main they are certainly not drab. Consistency is more of an issue that needs to be addressed.

Anyone had a peak at Barnsley forum? and what they have said about Hill - they're not as big as fans as you think, and the amount of time he spends going on about money, makes cloughies cries seem negligible.

His latest quote, about Barnsley hitting their 50 point target ''it would be like walking a tightrope with two broken legs' as well as begging for the Blackpool job.

Likes too moan, a win tomorrow should give him more to cry about 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Then I'm sorry Bris, and without wanting to sound condescending, but you don't fully understand football.

Two of the hardest working teams in world football are Barcelona and Spain. The work they do off the ball to run in to space, the movement off the ball and of course the incredible amount of work it takes to constantly press the ball when not in their possession is huge.

Yes. I absolutely care how hard a player works. He's not worth the shirt if he doesn't, and more importantly, he's not a very good footballer.

Hardwork is absolutely commendable in a footballer. It seperates Messi from Ronaldo, and Barca from Real.

I keep seeing this crap about not needing hardworking players and "hard work will only get you so far".

The point is, you'll get absolutely nowhere without it, and its the basis on which all the best teams are built.

Who (arguably) are the best team in the world, certainly in Europe.

Who are also the hardest working, never letting the other team rest on the ball, closing down and winning the ball back.

It's not a coincidence.

Just having all 11 ball players will get you nowhere, but then again you'll get nowhere without them - which is why I'm happy with the development of the squad because we are now seeing both qualities developing and the hard work from ALL players is allowing the more talented to play their game.

Looking at the bottom of the PL it's getting more difficult to bridge the gap even with money, I think Southampton have spent 33 million and are still struggling !

Clough got the job because if his name? Pure guesswork.

We don't know who else applied, so cannot compare records with other applicants or short listed people.

Maybe it was a consideration but doubt it was the sole reason.

Maybe his passion for the club came across in the interview.

Maybe his loyalty to employee shown by being at Burton for so long.

Maybe his record for slow gradual improvement.

Next well get "he's only still here because if his name" we'll maybe that's why the fans haven't turned on him en mass.

But I think he's still here because he's fulfilling his brief from the owners. Keep us in the championship and move towards sustainability through improving the Academy and signing young, hungry players that will help us make slow steady progress

Yes, I'm devastated that we're 4 points ahead of you, with you lot calling for Clough's head, whilst we're winning 4-1 away from home and not even playing that greatly 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

You wot?

You wot?

You wot?

You wot?

You wot?

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Archived