What if.....

DCFCfranco

The only reason they stayed in the same division as Derby is down to Portsmouth going into financial meltdown. You seem to be Barnsley this and Barnsley that

Barnsley play by the rules, Portsmouth were cheats and that was the most deserved relegation in modern day football.

They got off lightly in my view (but that's for a different thread).

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing youth coaching with an Italian team is a bit like banging your head against a brick wall, only less rewarding. Can't believe he's still there.

And you know Clough was offered the job because of his name because what.......you have insider knowledge?

Clough was given the job beacuse he served his time in the lower leagues and proved himself to be a highly successful manager. He managed to take a very unfancied non-league club into the main leagues. An incredibly difficult feat and one that he deserves huge credit.

You don't seem to realise this Bris. To say he got the job because of his name is insulting to the board and insulting to Clough and the great job he did at Burton.

Who gives a toss about his name? I certainly don't. I look at what he is doing to our club and for that I see some very good things. We have in Clough the most loyal of managers who will stay with us through thick and thin. I honestly feel that we owe him a huge debt of gratitude for the wonderful job he has done at Derby so far. Many other managers would have walked given the financial constraints.

As regards your comments about Keith Hill. Have you and him got something going on the side? I seem to remember last season you were adamant that the mighty Barnsley would finish higher in the table than Derby. The only reason they stayed in the same division as Derby is down to Portsmouth going into financial meltdown. You seem to be Barnsley this and Barnsley that.

And finally your point on Clough spending a million a season: What one hand giveth, the other taketh away.

The man maybe given a million but is asked to shed more than that from the wage bill.

Firstly I never mentioned Keith Hill to begin with.. I'd take a foreign coach over him for starters.. Secondly don't give me that rubbish about Clough.. Again.. He was given the job because of his name.. Would you imagine the uproar if we gave it to Martin Allen? A person who has worked on budgets and also got promotion, but within the football league.. Also if his name wasn't Clough, he'd have been sacked and hounded out by the fans in his first or second full season in charge.. Just like Phil Brown was..

Also he hasn't done a wonderful job ast Derby.. That's just daft.. Avoiding relegation in the NPC whilst spending over a million each summer and having bigger budgets to work with than smaller clubs isn't diificult.. Hell even Steve Cotterill could do it..

And you ask if me and Keith have something on the side? I don't need to explain their situation last season again because everyone knows it... Do you and Nige have something on the side? You constantly praise him for his wonderful work when in fact it's been mediocre at best.. The majority of the managers in this league have bigger achievements and have achieved more than him.. So has the likes of Aidy Boothroyd and Paul Ince..

And as for Clough shedding the wage bill and having to sell millions.. Go through the list please and tell me what players you would have kept? He's given so much credit for getting rid of **** players and replacing them with mediocre players.. I don't understand why..

If Derby want to progress and be a PL club once again Clough can't be the manager.. It's simply not going to happen with him..

Firstly I never mentioned Keith Hill to begin with.. I'd take a foreign coach over him for starters.. Secondly don't give me that rubbish about Clough.. Again.. He was given the job because of his name.. Would you imagine the uproar if we gave it to Martin Allen? A person who has worked on budgets and also got promotion, but within the football league.. Also if his name wasn't Clough, he'd have been sacked and hounded out by the fans in his first or second full season in charge.. Just like Phil Brown was..

Also he hasn't done a wonderful job ast Derby.. That's just daft.. Avoiding relegation in the NPC whilst spending over a million each summer and having bigger budgets to work with than smaller clubs isn't diificult.. Hell even Steve Cotterill could do it..

And you ask if me and Keith have something on the side? I don't need to explain their situation last season again because everyone knows it... Do you and Nige have something on the side? You constantly praise him for his wonderful work when in fact it's been mediocre at best.. The majority of the managers in this league have bigger achievements and have achieved more than him.. So has the likes of Aidy Boothroyd and Paul Ince..

And as for Clough shedding the wage bill and having to sell millions.. Go through the list please and tell me what players you would have kept? He's given so much credit for getting rid of **** players and replacing them with mediocre players.. I don't understand why..

If Derby want to progress and be a PL club once again Clough can't be the manager.. It's simply not going to happen with him..

Why mention Martin Allen? How can you compare him with Clough? Allen has achieved limited success with his clubs. He has shown no loyalty. Any manager that has had 9.....yes 9 clubs in 9 seasons has to be questioned.

Clough spent over 10 years with Burton Albion and achieved success after slowly building his side up.

And no, he wouldn't have been hounded out if his name wasn't Clough. Most fans were well aware of what he inherited and gave him and still continue to give him their full support.

He has brought in a lot of players. You call them mediocre. I call them Championship class which is pretty incredible as many or most other managers had little faith in some of the players he brought in.

No other managers would have gone anywhere near Buxton, Coutts, Ward or Robinson to name but four players that Clough has turned around the careers around.

Look at the youth he has brought through. So many other managers are reluctant to play their youth. Clough prides himself in playing them.

Do you honestly think that Clough doesn't want to see Derby in the Premiership? I dare say he is banging on the door of the owners pleading for more funds.

We are on the up. Our performances are steadily improving and we are getting better season on season. It might be slow progress and it's clearly too slow for the clearly more impatient like yourself but he will do at Derby as he did at Burton and that is to take us up.

Bris I do like most of your posts mate but your putting your opinion acoss like fact, and to honest mate its bullsh!t, are you saying when we were looking for a new manager it was all about the name??? Im surprised Simon and Barbara were not at least interviewed for the job!!!

Its up there with Barnsly going to finish above us FACT and Coutts is not creative FACT

And you know Clough was offered the job because of his name because what.......you have insider knowledge?

Clough was given the job beacuse he served his time in the lower leagues and proved himself to be a highly successful manager. He managed to take a very unfancied non-league club into the main leagues. An incredibly difficult feat and one that he deserves huge credit.

You don't seem to realise this Bris. To say he got the job because of his name is insulting to the board and insulting to Clough and the great job he did at Burton.

Who gives a toss about his name? I certainly don't. I look at what he is doing to our club and for that I see some very good things. We have in Clough the most loyal of managers who will stay with us through thick and thin. I honestly feel that we owe him a huge debt of gratitude for the wonderful job he has done at Derby so far. Many other managers would have walked given the financial constraints.

As regards your comments about Keith Hill. Have you and him got something going on the side? I seem to remember last season you were adamant that the mighty Barnsley would finish higher in the table than Derby. The only reason they stayed in the same division as Derby is down to Portsmouth going into financial meltdown. You seem to be Barnsley this and Barnsley that.

And finally your point on Clough spending a million a season: What one hand giveth, the other taketh away.

The man maybe given a million but is asked to shed more than that from the wage bill.

of course clough got the job because of who his father was and because he came cheap.You cant even get your facts

right.Clough didn't take Burton up to the football league.He took them up from the northern premier to the conference

and then spent 91/2 years in the conference.Roy McFarland took them into the football league.Every season a manager

takes an unfancied team to promotion from non-league why didn't they go after any of those?If he was that well regarded

why didn't other clubs go for him?Every season loads of managers get sacked why is he never on their wanted lists?It

tells you one thing he is here because of his name,nothing else and nothing he has done makes any other club

interested.

of course clough got the job because of who his father was and because he came cheap.You cant even get your facts

right.Clough didn't take Burton up to the football league.He took them up from the northern premier to the conference

and then spent 91/2 years in the conference.Roy McFarland took them into the football league.Every season a manager

takes an unfancied team to promotion from non-league why didn't they go after any of those?If he was that well regarded

why didn't other clubs go for him?Every season loads of managers get sacked why is he never on their wanted lists?It

tells you one thing he is here because of his name,nothing else and nothing he has done makes any other club

interested.

in your opinion........

interested.

I happen to think that Clough is one of the most well respected managers in the league. There are not too many current English managers who have a better record.

He's managed two clubs and achieved two promotions. He's never been relegated.

He's never had money to spend. At both clubs he's been required to scratch around for lower league players who are good enough to play at a higher level.

He's remained immensely loyal to both clubs.

Another thing I like about the man is his modesty. He just goes about his job in a fairly unassuming manner and gets results. When we win with a great performance he often asks his assistant to face the press preferring them to take the glory but he is always willing to face the press after a poor performance.

I would like to know what some fans expect. Is it really realistic to expect a manager to challenge the wealthy clubs at the top?

The Championship is a little like the Premiership but to a lesser extent. I can confidently say that Leicester, Blackburn, Forest, Wolves, Middlesbrough and Cardiff will be in the mix as they are dealing with budgets far in excess of ours. If we are able to compete with these sides then Clough is doing a great job.

Give him the budget they have and I honestly believe we would walk this league. That is why I am frustrated as much as the next Derby fan that we are only probably 5~8M off a Premiership place.

interested.

If you are going to make a point that at least use correct information and not stupid and childish nonsense; you have lost what little credibility you had.

Maybe you just hit the wrong key with your 9 1/2 years comment...... Ahem!!!

Roy McFarland was a disaster and blew the huge and record points total that he was left with (they had just won 11 games on the trot).

It is rare for an unfancied team to get promoted from the Conference, it is an extremely tough league. Nigel Clough had his success with a part-time team in a league that is almost entirely full-time.

I don't for a minute think that you have been answering the phones/emails/post at Burton Albion or Derby County so you will have no more idea than anyone else outside of a very close circle who has made an approach in the past.

I couldnt give a monkeys what he did at Burton, i look at the last 4 years in charge at the Rams, we have at best finished 12th, it now appears that we have lost the year on year improvement argument, and now hailing him as a messiah for keeping us in this division on the budget we run on.

He has a higher budget than teams in this league, a lower one than others, so given that we will probably finsih mid table....again, he in my eyes is an average manager. He hasnt once been challenging for promotion after Xmas, and given that he has been in charge 4 years, he has had time to stamp his authority and style of play onto the team, I would say he has an advantage over a lot of managers. He has never taken us on a cup run that I can think off, has yet to bring in a player and sell him for a large profit, and I dont think that he will ever take us anywhere near the top 6.

How far are we into the clubs 5 year long term plan? About 4? You have to ask what exactly has changed in that time, except the names on the team sheet and the wage bill being cut. Do we have any optimism for reaching the play off's in the next 12 months?

#

YES

If we reach the Play Offs it will be because of Nigel Clough.

I moan about him a fair bit but with what he's got to work with I expect a 10th to 16th finish. I think that's the expectation of Derby? Any lower or higher and it's all on Nigel.

I would say the wage bill, transfer budget etc are mid table. The wage bill perhaps too low. But I think the club has the facilities to beat our midtable rivals when signing a player if we match wages.

So overall I'd say Nigel has the power to finish 10th - 16th. Any higher or lower and he's done a terrific/terrible job.

This is how I judge it anyway. For all his faults I expect to finish below tenth. And because of his qualities I expect to finish above 16th.

Give the guy a bit more room to manoeuvre and see if he can push on. Increase his financial power and raise the bar. That's all I want.

We aren't testing him. We're asking him to keep us as an average side and he's doing it. Give the bloke something more to work with.

I'm not a "Board Out, Clough Out" guy

I'm an "Invest more cash, play better" guy.

Archived