What if.....

DCFCfranco

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian McDermott

Brian McDermott has worked with Reading for years.. He knows all of the players and has worked up from Physio, to coaching to other roles within the club..

That's no different to Nigel Adkins who was also a physio.. Pep Guardiola to who was only coaching the B side and Tito Villanova who was only an assistant manager...

If you've worked within a club for years, are pals with the directors and know the club inside out and all of the players chances are you'll be given a run at the first team..

A completely different scenario to someone who managed a conference team and had them on track for promotion for the first time in 10 years being given a job because of the work his Dad did here.. Anyone who honestly believes Clough was given the job because of his hard work at Burton is deluded.. And anyone who believes he could have got a job elsewhere in the NPC..

Brian McDermott has worked with Reading for years.. He knows all of the players and has worked up from Physio, to coaching to other roles within the club..

But not the manager, signing players, picking the team and tactics?

Just answering the question, only previous experience was at Conference level before managing in the Championship

But not the manager, signing players, picking the team and tactics?

Just answering the question, only previous experience was at Conference level before managing in the Championship

Coaching in and around a club for years can easily be more valuable than a conference manager jumping up 3 divisions to a club where he doesn't know any of the players nor the budgets within the club or anything..

The likes of Brian McDermott had everything planned at Reading for years.. He knew everything about the club, the budgets, the scouts, the listed players.. Everything..

Clough was a conference manager with a conference budget and list of players jumping into an NPC job..

Seriously, if his name wasn't Clough he wouldn't have got the job.. And even by some miracle he had got the job he would have been sacked within the first 2 years of the job because the fans wouldn't have put up with it.. Too many Derby fans are believing in miracles that simply aren't going to happen..

These seasons with Clough and I imagine the next 5 years plus are going to count for nothing in the end and will only be looked back on as a complete waste of time.. Talk about driving the fans away..

Coaching in and around a club for years can easily be more valuable than a conference manager jumping up 3 divisions to a club where he doesn't know any of the players nor the budgets within the club or anything..

The likes of Brian McDermott had everything planned at Reading for years.. He knew everything about the club, the budgets, the scouts, the listed players.. Everything..

Clough was a conference manager with a conference budget and list of players jumping into an NPC job..

Seriously, if his name wasn't Clough he wouldn't have got the job.. And even by some miracle he had got the job he would have been sacked within the first 2 years of the job because the fans wouldn't have put up with it.. Too many Derby fans are believing in miracles that simply aren't going to happen..

These seasons with Clough and I imagine the next 5 years plus are going to count for nothing in the end and will only be looked back on as a complete waste of time.. Talk about driving the fans away..

So he hasn't maintained or slightly improved our position whilst halving the wage bill then?

So he hasn't drastically reduced the average of the side then?

So he hasn't overseen an improvement in the quality and quantity of young players coming through then?

I know Clough's name helped him get the job, you're wasting your keyboard buttons if you're trying to convince me of that. For those that were here when Clough was appointed will know I was far from happy with the appointment. I wanted a manager with experience as did a lot of people.

I was simply trying to think of managers that had made the jump in reply to EKR post, Brian McDermott, Sean Dyche, Malky Mackay, Dougie Freedman and Roy Keane did it with 0 experience even if they made the tea behind the scenes for a few years, management is very different.

You did make me laugh earlier tho Bris I have to say, questioning Mcsilks knowledge of what a football managers job is, I'm not sure how someone that puts entertainment ahead of results can come out with that but hey ho.

So he hasn't maintained or slightly improved our position whilst halving the wage bill then?

So he hasn't drastically reduced the average of the side then?

So he hasn't overseen an improvement in the quality and quantity of young players coming through then?

Wow.. Huge improvements.. Put a statue up outside PP.. I can't wait to tell my kids of the historic changes NC made to Derby County..

Wow.. Huge improvements.. Put a statue up outside PP.. I can't wait to tell my kids of the historic changes NC made to Derby County..

You cannot build a house upon rocky ground without first levelling the land and building a foundation.

It will also take you a long time to build that house without the right bricks and enough cement. Might not be historic, but it was much needed. These two seasons have been Clough's side, the kind that he wants atleast.

It's not bad, could be better, the guy did a good job at rebuilding and is doing a decent enough job right now. Not a 'great' one, but not a bad one either. I'll take that right now, though if at some point we're at the same point 2 years down the line then we'll need to decide whether Nigel should be doing better with what he has, or if we should be directing our anger entirely towards the financial situation.

There's a long way between putting up a statue and doing a bad job, but obviously not to a drama queen. If you want to bring statues outside grounds into the equation, it would appear to be you who is fixated with a surname.

Roy McFarland managed to somehow almost screw that up. So yes, Clough won that league, despite not being there at the end to see it happen.

Are you a troll or do you just really hate Clough then?

Neither they descibe you better.I am stating a simple fact that you can't handle because it ruins your

case about Cloughs qualifications for being a manager at this level.You are even prepared to bad mouth

a real Derby hero Roy McFarland.

Neither they descibe you better.I am stating a simple fact that you can't handle because it ruins your

case about Cloughs qualifications for being a manager at this level.You are even prepared to bad mouth

a real Derby hero Roy McFarland.

He is a Derby legend, he was one of the best centre-backs around in his day and he deserves no bad mouthing as a person as he seems a very nice and genuine fellow.

He also almost blew one hell of a lead at Burton when he came in for Clough, for whatever reason. That much is undeniable.

I believe you simply cannot stand Clough, and would write off any achievement of his own because of it. For that reason, reading what you say is a waste of everyone's time.

Ok clough didn't get Burton into the football league. If he was still in charge he probably wouldve. But clough set up the foundations for them to be promoted. Macfarland took the job and finished it. Just. But cough pretty much took Burton to the FL but if you're being pedantic he didnt. You are probably In a very small minority that think Macfarland took Burton to the FL. No one is bad mouthin Macfarland anyway they are just stating the fact that he nearly fooked up nigels half work. Any he was a fantastic player and not a good manager.

He is a Derby legend, he was one of the best centre-backs around in his day and he deserves no bad mouthing as a person as he seems a very nice and genuine fellow.

He also almost blew one hell of a lead at Burton when he came in for Clough, for whatever reason. That much is undeniable.

I believe you simply cannot stand Clough, and would write off any achievement of his own because of it. For that reason, reading what you say is a waste of everyone's time.

The trouble with you is because you can't list many of Mr.Cloughs achievements you have to make em up to suit your

personal agenda.I have nothing against him personally and I have no agenda except to see us in the Premier League

where we belong.In my opinion he has had his chance more chance than most ex-managers have had and he hasn't

made it and never will.Thats my honest opinion as a Rams fan over 40 years,but unlike you i won't have to invent anything

to justify my views.

The trouble with you is because you can't list many of Mr.Cloughs achievements you have to make em up to suit your

personal agenda.I have nothing against him personally and I have no agenda except to see us in the Premier League

where we belong.In my opinion he has had his chance more chance than most ex-managers have had and he hasn't

made it and never will.Thats my honest opinion as a Rams fan over 40 years,but unlike you i won't have to invent anything

to justify my views.

Get over yourself, dear fellow. No-one's making up anything to suit any agenda's, aside from yourself. If you act like a child however, it's likely people will become sick of you pretty quick.

I should know, half of the people on here are sick of me! But atleast I try to be polite. You keep talking down to folk on here, as you did Duracell for example, and I dare say no-one will give a **** what you say, even if you turn out to be right.

Don't know why people talk about the future so much.. The world is going to end in December

It makes Cloughs 10 year plan all the more pointless.. Plans in football are very rarely completed..

What do you plan to do in the last 15 minutes before the world ends?

Ladyram he was knighted for services to football,what other activities to get a CBE?

Just answering your question to what a CBE was that's all, you seemed unsure what it was?

Archived