Pat Murphy on Mel Morris

Red Ram

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in other threads but have a listen to Pat Murphy on 5 Live Football Daily at 13 minutes and 9 seconds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04ws8b5

He's talking in advance of Rowett's appointment and claims that

"Mel Morris's reputation is that of a meddler, prone to texting some influential players and fond of raking over the entrails of the last game on DVD last at night with the manager or coaching staff at his home"

Seriously hope this isn't true but Pat Murphy isn't usually far wrong. If (and I emphasise IF) it's true we've got big problems...

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in other threads but have a listen to Pat Murphy on 5 Live Football Daily at 13 minutes and 9 seconds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04ws8b5

He's talking in advance of Rowett's appointment and claims that

"Mel Morris's reputation is that of a meddler, prone to texting some influential players and fond of raking over the entrails of the last game on DVD last at night with the manager or coaching staff at his home"

Seriously hope this isn't true but Pat Murphy isn't usually far wrong. If (and I emphasise IF) it's true we've got big problems...

Texting the influential players sounds very ominous... perhaps this aids the view of how strong player power is at Derby? Of course provided this true, but as you said, Pat Murphy hasn't got a reputation for making things up.

At breakfast club he showed off a text he had received from a player, I thought it a bit weird at the time but thought nothing more of it since.

In terms of him reviewing games with the manager, not sure what the problem is there, I am sure our managers are big enough characters to defend themselves and at least they know what is being asked of them.

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I sometimes wonder how i would be if it was my money? I think I would take a direct interest especially when there seems insufficient effort 

There have to be reporting lines though.

If Mel has a problem, he speaks to the manager.

Going behind his managers back will create problems.

If true hope he learns from this mistake.

Good management is also trusting staff to deliver with their skillset, particularly if the "manager" is not a subject expert. Running over games with managers would be a lack of trust and respect for their abilities. Concerning, if true.

25 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I sometimes wonder how i would be if it was my money? I think I would take a direct interest especially when there seems insufficient effort 

If it was my money I'd want success and I don't doubt that's all Mel wants. The best way to achieve that though, is to leave it to the experts and not get involved in the football side of things. In other words, follow the example of Lionel Pickering or Ben Robinson at Burton.

6 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Keith Andrew hinted at the same during the analysis before the Brighton game.

Yes that's correct. I imagine he has heard it from the Irish based players in the Derby dressing room. Neil Clement(PC's brother) also said the same thing. Former Derby player Zak Whitbread also questioned Mel Morris regarding his bad decisions on his Twitter the other day

I heard last weekend that Morris invited Mac and Powell round to his house and they watched videos of games, providing all parties weee okay with this I don't see a problem.

Rowett will be a good tester of whether the meddling rumours have any shred of truth. Rowett won't stand for it and let's be honest, if a Rowett is sacked within an unreasonable amount if time, the fans will sure to let their feelings known.

At the 1st forum meeting with Mel, he showed us text messages he'd exchanged with McClaren after games.

I was a bit surprised, it seemed a distant way of communicating with his manager, and in hindsight, completely at odds with the things we've heard since about his alleged micro-management.

I remember posting at the time how he seemed to want to use his knowledge of successful business practices and adapt them to the football club, and how we'd be foolish not to give it a try.

It seems to me that he's met some resistance in that objective, not surprising really seeing as football is such a backwards thinking industry in many ways, possibly he's tried too hard, for instance the dressing room carpeting, the leadership group etc?

These would be standard practice in business, but frowned upon in football.

I hope we're now coming to the end of Mel's football apprenticeship, he's learning what works and what doesn't, and we'll have relatively plain sailing from here on in.

I'm absolutely 100% certain he doesn't ever expect to see his financial investment returned, so he does it for the glory, and let's be honest, we'd all like to share in that.

At the end of the Pat Murphy (who i have a lot of time for) clip, he says he expects Gary Rowett to have more success dealing with Mel than previous managers, so maybe Mac, Clement and Pearson's problem was not being able to manage up, neither mind the players.

I know I've given Mel some light hearted grief on here, but I'm hoping we've turned a corner now, no fool like an optimist I suppose.

Mel's had a lot of stick on here recently but he has ploughed shed loads of money into the club (some of it wasted on certain players I agree but that's hardly his fault).

I'd rather have a fellow live long supporter running my club than some of these dodgy foreign investors with no attachment to or understanding of the club and it's community, but just see it as another business venture.

If there is a criticism of Mel it's that he's possibly too hand's on and needs to take a step back and allow the team manager to run team affairs..

But he obviously cares about Derby County.

Can't knock him for that.

7 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Rowett should bin his mobile.....I would if I were him.

If I were Rowett I'd be coating the roof of my car and my loft with tin foil and taking all my phones to pieces. I'd also get one of those hawks that the police use to intercept drones.

Archived