Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From BBC Sport 6 days ago; has no one seen this?     Dundee Utd's Johnny Russell sets sights on move abroad "http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/57733000/jpg/_57733517_jimspencehead" alt="_57733517_jimspencehead"> By Jim Spence BBC Scotland

Johnny Russell wants to play overseas if Dundee United decide to sell the forward in the summer.

The 23-year-old has a year of his Tannadice contract to run and Italian club Catania have had three approaches for his services rejected.

"I think if anything I'd prefer to go abroad," he said. "When do you ever see a Scottish player going abroad?

"I'd like to maybe go and show that the view they've got on Scottish football is inaccurate."

Continue reading the main story

[indent]

Until Dundee United choose to accept a bid I'm a Dundee United player and I'm happy at that

[/indent]

Johnny Russell

Russell is United's leading scorer for the season with 20 goals but has been sidelined since early March with a broken leg.

In recent times, David Goodwillie and Scott Allan were lured away from Tannadice by Blackburn and West Brom, respectively.

But Russell is eyeing a potential move further afield, hoping to follow in the footsteps of Scots like Graeme Souness, Steve Archibald, Murdo MacLeod, John Collins and Paul Lambert, who enjoyed success on the continent.

"Technically, I think it would improve me as a player," he explained.

"For me, it's not about money.

"You could be getting all the money in the world, but if I'm not playing then I'm not going to be happy, so I won't ever make a decision in my career based on money, because you've seen it happen, you don't want to go somewhere and your career to stall, or one bad move and your career is over.

"So, I think if I felt it was right for me then that would be it."

However, Russell is taking nothing for granted as he seeks a return to action.

"The current situation is I'm still a Dundee United player and I'm happy at that," he added.

"It's always nice to hear nice things about you, that other teams are interested, because it shows you're doing well and it gives me a wee bit of a boost because obviously I was out with my fractured leg.

"But until Dundee United choose to accept a bid I'm a Dundee United player and I'm happy at that."

Both very good players on their day Johnny Russell has bags of potential still very young would suit this league perfect partner for Sammon

I can only go on what I have seen, but in the 5/6 games I have seen dundee but he was illusive - the winger was always the best player for me, I wouldn't mind us going in for him.

The standard is so poor though.

He would be one hell of a coup. I watch a hell of a lot of Scottish football (Partick Thistle are my second team but I watch SPL a lot too) and I have no doubt Russell could play in the Premiership in a year or two, if not now. I've seen players come across the border and flop and I am convinced that that won't happen with this guy.

He has pace to burn, he's skilful and he knows where the goal is. It must also be pointed out since everyone's looking at his goal stats that, before this season, he was often utilised as a winger at Dundee United. And don't even compare him to Sammon, Russell's on a whole different level (nothing against Sammon).

He would be one hell of a coup. I watch a hell of a lot of Scottish football (Partick Thistle are my second team but I watch SPL a lot too) and I have no doubt Russell could play in the Premiership in a year or two, if not now. I've seen players come across the border and flop and I am convinced that that won't happen with this guy.

He has pace to burn, he's skilful and he knows where the goal is. It must also be pointed out since everyone's looking at his goal stats that, before this season, he was often utilised as a winger at Dundee United. And don't even compare him to Sammon, Russell's on a whole different level (nothing against Sammon).

Well lets hope we can get something sorted then!

Would still prefer Vaughan!

See, I don't get this - I've watched Dundee in 5 league games, and 1 cup game this season. I have seen him score on a couple of occasions. First of all the standard, it is so gritty, slow and dogged - it's very hard to pick out who would do well in this division, I think with the very best players in the division they can turn up when they want to - like Commons and Wanyama. When I have seen Russell he definitely a forward facing striker, likes the ball clipped between the holes, and to some extent this is what we need - I don't fancy his touch to much, often got tackled to easily and a lot of the time it was easy to overlook him. 

I always thought the winger was head and shoulders above everyone else, he would be the one I would look at - if we signed Russell then I wouldn't rubbish any signing, but to it wouldn't excite me, or surprise me if he failed.

Personally think Sammon is head and shoulders above Russell too, based on what Ive seen - I mean 5/6 games isn't a lot, so who knows. 

See, I don't get this - I've watched Dundee in 5 league games, and 1 cup game this season. I have seen him score on a couple of occasions. First of all the standard, it is so gritty, slow and dogged - it's very hard to pick out who would do well in this division, I think with the very best players in the division they can turn up when they want to - like Commons and Wanyama. When I have seen Russell he definitely a forward facing striker, likes the ball clipped between the holes, and to some extent this is what we need - I don't fancy his touch to much, often got tackled to easily and a lot of the time it was easy to overlook him.

I always thought the winger was head and shoulders above everyone else, he would be the one I would look at - if we signed Russell then I wouldn't rubbish any signing, but to it wouldn't excite me, or surprise me if he failed.

Personally think Sammon is head and shoulders above Russell too, based on what Ive seen - I mean 5/6 games isn't a lot, so who knows.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one then. Having watched considerably more than 5 games, I'm very confident in saying that he'd be a real asset. You are correct about his touch sometimes though and he often has a Ward-like selfishness about him too. I was probably a bit too hasty with my dig at Sammon as well but Russell is certainly the better footballer in my opinion.

The winger's Mackay-Steven, a fantastic player like you said (he'll be Prem-bound if he leaves United). My only worry is that the whole of United's play is geared around him so he gets a lot more opportunities to shine. Wouldn't be the case at a Prem team.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived