Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how don't you know he's just natural goal scorer?

What?

What does being a natural goalscorer change? If he's around the equivalent of a 11-12 goal a season striker at this level, and our own 8 odd goal a season striker is "terrible", is he really that much better?

8 goals from Sammon - "Terrible"

11-12 goals from Russell - "Class act"

I am greatly confused.

Russell has been injured lets take into account

I am by no means saying he is a 'class act' as the initial post suggested just putting the stats out there

Russell  - 28 appearances 13 goals.

Sammon - 45 appearances 8 goals.

Unlike you to miss out on the stats Albert, although in fairness you were posting more about the phrases people have used to describe the players. 

Russell has been injured lets take into account

I am by no means saying he is a 'class act' as the initial post suggested just putting the stats out there

Russell  - 28 appearances 13 goals.

Sammon - 45 appearances 8 goals.

Unlike you to miss out on the stats Albert, although in fairness you were posting more about the phrases people have used to describe the players.

Again, strikers at SPL level generally score at a rate that is half that of their SPL rate in the Championship. As such, 13 goals in 28 would be roughly 13 in 56 at Championship level, or around 11-12 goals in 46 games.

I've not missed the stats here, I've actually discussed the numbers in depth in terms of the scoring rate in the SPL before, although I get the impression that I'm going to need to need to redo this analysis.

What?What does being a natural goalscorer change? If he's around the equivalent of a 11-12 goal a season striker at this level, and our own 8 odd goal a season striker is "terrible", is he really that much better?

have you seen him in this decision? (Obviously not) so how can you say how many goals he could score? I know you've probably got stats of other players moving over and how their stats have differed but not Russell's.

Again, strikers at SPL level generally score at a rate that is half that of their SPL rate in the Championship. As such, 13 goals in 28 would be roughly 13 in 56 at Championship level, or around 11-12 goals in 46 games.

I've not missed the stats here, I've actually discussed the numbers in depth in terms of the scoring rate in the SPL before, although I get the impression that I'm going to need to need to redo this analysis.

Oh yeah totally agree scoring in the SPL is a lot easier than the championship and records should reflect that. Simply pointing out you missed the appearances which are an important component in this comparison.

have you seen him in this decision? (Obviously not) so how can you say how many goals he could score? I know you've probably got stats of other players moving over and how their stats have differed but not Russell's.

Last time I did the numbers for this it was quite a list. I can't say for certain that he couldn't score more, but the point is that his goal scoring record at SPL level isn't enough on it's own to justify his signing, especially when the history here says that he won't score close to that figure. With some of what has been said about Sammon, I just don't get why people would call for this kind of signing. Personally I wouldn't mind him signing, but if he did, and only scored 9-14 odd goals, I'm sure there's be people slamming him anyhow.

Oh yeah totally agree scoring in the SPL is a lot easier than the championship and records should reflect that. Simply pointing out you missed the appearances which are an important component in this comparison.

I never missed the appearances. I calculated 11-12 (it was ~11.5 actually) from his performance this season only, and that was using his goals per game this season.

I haven't seen much of Russell, but I've seen enough of the SPL to know it's absolute pudding! 

I'll leave it up to better men than me to let me know if he is worth signing, but, I wouldn't pull out all the stops, when I have seen Dundee the blonde hair'd winger Mackay-Steven has been the stand out, he has a lovely touch, good technique - comes across as a intelligent winger. 

I find it hard to sort of draw a line in the sand, because, the play is just that bad most of the time. 

8 goals from Sammon - "Terrible"

11-12 goals from Russell - "Class act"

I am greatly confused.

I don't know if you were referring to me here as I called Russell a 'class act' but if so, where did i call Sammon 'terrible'?, 

I don't know if you were referring to me here as I called Russell a 'class act' but if so, where did i call Sammon 'terrible'?,

I used your wording, but it's more about the calls from some to sign Russell, whilst many are slating Sammon.

You can't say this player scored this amount of goals in the SPL therefore he'll score this amount of goals in the championship. Russell's game is build on natural skill and finishing. He's not really a hard worker, but he will finish most chances put his way, a cheaper Billy Sharp if you will. He can't be that bad if a team placed 9th in Serie A are after him.

Would definitely do a job in the championship.

You can't guarantee it, obviously, but you can use evidence acquired over a number of years from various sources to come to a logical conclusion.

You could have said "Kris Boyd's game is built on natural skill and finishing. He's not really a hard worker but he will finish most chances put his way" if you were basing it on the record setting all time high scoring success of his career in Scotland. He got 12 in his Championship season. But hey, maybe he only had 18 chances all season! ;)

I'm sure there must be one somewhere, but I can't think of any players who's prolific scoring in Scotland has transferred over to prolific scoring in England.

None of which suggests I wouldn't want to sign Russell, I know little of his game.

• 3 weeks later...

Draw your own conclusions, but Steve Nicholson at the DET has started following Johnny Russell today on twitter (thanks to someone else for spotting that)

On the same day his DET piece says that Clough has other striker targets than Vaughan

He has recently also followed Vaughan on twitter

Archived