Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who would you rather sign...Vaughan is more proven at this level but has had fitness issues and would cost more. I just hope we sign at least one of them and we're not down to Waghorn and Billy Key!

Same with the Baptiste situation. I hope we don't lose Brayford aswell as not signing him.

Who would you rather sign...Vaughan is more proven at this level but has had fitness issues and would cost more. I just hope we sign at least one of them and we're not down to Waghorn and Billy Key!

Same with the Baptiste situation. I hope we don't lose Brayford aswell as not signing him.

Personally I'd rather use Ward on the left wing, although he's scored a goals upfront I think he's more effective and offers an outlet on the wing.

In an ideal world we'd loan Bennett out to a Local conference or league 2 team for next season, and get him playing goals regularly to help his progression and go after both Vaughan and Russell. If Vaughan stays fit I'd rather have him, but he's had his problems and if he's injured 60% of the time I'd rather have Russell.

Sammon

Russell

Martin

Vaughan

There's your 4 strikers Clough

Kudos for NorthStandRam for the detective work.

Steve Nicholson is a good one for leaving clues - a couple of weeks ago he made a throwaway comment about the battle of the keepers (fielding vs legzdins) having a twist in the tale. That was way before anyone had even mentioned Grant on the scene

He's not denied the Russell clue when asked, so I think it's a given that Russell is a confirmed backup target

Personally I'd rather use Ward on the left wing, although he's scored a goals upfront I think he's more effective and offers an outlet on the wing.

In an ideal world we'd loan Bennett out to a Local conference or league 2 team for next season, and get him playing goals regularly to help his progression and go after both Vaughan and Russell. If Vaughan stays fit I'd rather have him, but he's had his problems and if he's injured 60% of the time I'd rather have Russell.

Sammon

Russell

Martin

Vaughan

There's your 4 strikers Clough

I would constantly rotate Ward's starting position and also his position during matches. He is our biggest threat in terms of assists and goals, even with the suggested incoming strikers. Too often I see Ward stuck out on the left not involved and he looks frustrated. Ward will always naturally drift to the left and play some of his best football up and down that wing but this is almost always when he is being played as a striker. 

4 goals in 40 as a winger or...

12 goals in 29 mainly as a forward.

It isn't as simple as that really, but I know where I'd prefer to play Ward.

Plus... we relied on him as our creative force so often in his loan & first season that we became almost totally one dimensional. On the occasions he's been put on the wing this season we seem to have taken up the same mentality.

And anyway, Clough's last RamsPlayer interview made it pretty clear the '4 strikers' he wants to rotate are Sammon, Martin, WARD and another, so i don't think there's any chance of us signing more than one extra striker.

Prefer him to Waghorn... Other 2 ahead tho.

Waghorn was a 3million pound striker, just because he isn't 'current' doesn't mean squat as a striker. He showed enough against us  in the game at the crisp bowl to show he still has ability, if given the motivation. 

I think he was trying to prove something since we had been chasing him for a while - I hope we do go in for him, think he has a lot about him as a player.

Waghorn was a 3million pound striker, just because he isn't 'current' doesn't mean squat as a striker. He showed enough against us  in the game at the crisp bowl to show he still has ability, if given the motivation. 

I think he was trying to prove something since we had been chasing him for a while - I hope we do go in for him, think he has a lot about him as a player.

Both very good players on their day Johnny Russell has bags of potential still very young would suit this league perfect partner for Sammon

The Russell/Waghorn theory as a fall back for Vaughan seems plauisble and they all seem much of a muchness in terms of stature and stats:

Russell - Height 5'10", Age 23, Games 147, Goals 43

Waghorn - Height 5'10, Age 23, Games 118, Goals 22

Vaughan - Height 5'11, Age 24, Games 126, Goals 31

Nige must be refining his search criteria on footy manager :)

The Russell/Waghorn theory as a fall back for Vaughan seems plauisble and they all seem much of a muchness in terms of stature and stats:

Would Love Russell and Waghorn sure add goals to our side

So looking at the stats roughly:

Russell is a 1 in 3 striker.

Vaughan is a 1 in 4 striker.

Waghorn is a 1 in 5 striker.

Vaughan has scored half his career's goals this season, as has Russell so they in theory are in form and should be able to carry that into next season. Waghorn is a funny one, has always looked good against us but that seems to be it. Maybe a change of scenery will do him well and he'll come on leaps and bounds being a 'wanted/loved' player.

For me, I'd take any two of the above three so I'm very pleased that Nigel has these players as targets. :)

Archived