James O'Connor

Mr Tibbs

Pretty sure Ruben Zadkovich was a full on slaphead. Now he was *****.

I'm pretty sure he shaved his head, he had hair before he came to us. Speaking of him though, he now plays in Australia for the Newcastle Jets. Last season he was their "number 10" linking up with one Franny Jeffers as well as Michael Bridges! Needless to say, they finished outside of the top 6 (of 10).

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RB - Brayford

RCB - Keogh/O'Brien

LCB - Buxton/Naylor

LB - Roberts

With Buxton and O'Brien both unreliable with fitness, if both were out at the same time this would leave Keogh and Naylor playing at CB, so O'Connor would provide cover if our squad does get thin with injuries.

Also, if Naylor gets injured, and then Brayford, we suddenly don't have a right back, so he provides good cover across 3 positions, and can cover left back adequately.

With having such a small squad, versatility is vital, every player Clough has usually plays at least 2 positions.

Good interview with JoC on the OS;

New Derby County recruit James O’Connor says the opportunity to join the Club was too good to turn down as his six-year stay with Doncaster Rovers came to an end.

The 27-year-old put pen-to-paper on a two-year deal with the Rams at Derby’s Moor Farm training ground yesterday, and O’Connor admitted the stature and size of Derby County Football Club was a major influence in his decision to join the Club.

He told Rams Player:“Derby is a massive club; I am from the Midlands myself, so I know how big the club is.

“I am going to be playing in the league above as well, after getting relegated with Doncaster last season, which was a massive disappointment for me. So this is a great opportunity to be playing Championship football again.

“I’ve been really impressed; you can see the stature of the club the minute you walk through the gates at the training ground.

“My first game in the Championship was with Doncaster at Pride Park and it was a great atmosphere. The stadium is a great place to play your football so I am really looking forward to getting out there now.”

O’Connor, who will wear the number 16 shirt this season, was part of the Donny side that won the Football League Trophy in 2007, and helped the side secure promotion to the Championship the following season with a 3-2 play-off final victory over Leeds United.

His six-year spell with Doncaster coincided with Gareth Roberts stint at the Keepmoat Stadium, and O’Connor admits he spoke to his fellow defender about a potential move to Pride Park.

He added: “I spoke to Gareth last night and he only had great things to say about the club, the players and coaching staff.

“To be honest my mind was well and truly made up, so his words were just used a reassurance really.”

“I am good friends with Gaz but I also know Jamie Ward from our time at Aston Villa as kids; I think when you go into a new club it always helps knowing a few friendly faces, but I am still excited to meet the rest of the lads, it is a bit daunting but I am looking forward to it.”

The former Aston Villa trainee will link up with the side in East Anglia ahead of Friday night’s pre-season friendly with Colchester United, and despite missing Doncaster’s previous two friendlies, O’Connor is hopeful of a return to match action.

He said: “I have missed the last two friendlies, but I played in two other 90 minute games beforehand, so I am not concerned about my fitness.

“It was just a slight thigh strain, but hopefully I will be training by the end of the week and touch wood everything will be ok.”

[url=http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/too-good-to-turn-down-286389.aspx]http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/too-good-to-turn-down-286389.aspx

no idea mate, this undisclosed boll*cks is beginning to piss me off. I understand the reasons behind it- not letting other know clubs how much cash you have to spend etc but I think that after the windows are closed the clubs should be duty bound to let the loyal fans (the ones who provide a huge slice of the money being spent) exactly what the ins and outs cost/ generated.

Dont get that at all Shilts. We the fans enter into a stadium and give our money of our own free will. Its just the same as shopping. DCFC is a privatley owned business. You dont go to WH Smiths, buy the paper then ask to see the accounts!! Dont know why so many fans think we own the club and have a divine right to business info.

In that interview it seems as though he hasn't even discussed his role with Nigel, at least not in any great depth. Didn't sound too bothered that battling Roberts at leftback was brought up, whilst the battle for his natural position wasn't even mentioned. It certainly will be interesting to see how the side line up at the start of the season. If Roberts isn't fit he'd almost certainly be starting the season at leftback, but further down the track... It will be interesting to see what happens.

Dont get that at all Shilts. We the fans enter into a stadium and give our money of our own free will. Its just the same as shopping. DCFC is a privatley owned business. You dont go to WH Smiths, buy the paper then ask to see the accounts!! Dont know why so many fans think we own the club and have a divine right to business info.

It jsut smacks of distrust- another example of the soul going out of the game. We are supposedly a "community" club- WE Are Derby (the punters can go stuff themselves).

It doesn't matter if we spent 20k, 200k or 2million - not to us anyway, we didn't spend the money and we're getting the same player regardless of fee!

The undisclosed fee thing bothers me so very little, it doesn't mean my estimation of the player goes up - nor does my season ticket price and I didn't pay for him.

Just happy to have another face on board - lets see how it pans out!

Does it matter if it says undisclosed. We know we ain't going to spend a lot and the undisclosed fee announcement may be a condition set by Doncaster not just us as they may not want their fans know how little he went for.

The back 4 will now I suspect be Brayford, Keogh, O'Connor and Roberts.

O'Brien would then I guess be on the bench as O'Connor will move from CB to cover the flanks if injury. O'Connor is I think the centre back the club were considering signing to play initially with Shackell once Barker got crocked. Selling Shackell meant we got Keogh. To be honest I am happy with this back 4. Roberts and Brayford will be pushed as they know could lose place to O'Conner and OB can then step in. Naylor will go to reserves for season for development.

Midifield could be Coutt, Bryson, Hendrick and Jacobs if flat 4 if it is 2,3 in midfield then could be bryson and hendrick as the two then the three could be Coutt in the middle flanked by Ward and Jacobs.

If flat midfield 4 then up front will be I imagine Ward with any of Tyson/Bennett/Robinson.

If it is the one up front then it will be one of Tyson/Bennett/Robinson

The bench will be Legzdin, OB, Hughes, then I would start with Tyson/Robinson and Bennett on the bench as you can change the formation as well as players.

I am happy with this. The only thing we need now is that striker who will score the goals.

The back 4 will now I suspect be Brayford, Keogh, O'Connor and Roberts.

Why would we play him at centrehalf when we have better options in Buxton and O'Brien? He's a good fullback, but from what I've heard he's not that great at centrehalf. We have natural centrehalves who can do a job, why would we play him there?

It jsut smacks of distrust- another example of the soul going out of the game. We are supposedly a "community" club- WE Are Derby (the punters can go stuff themselves).

How are you supposed to let the fans know the money spent without alerting other clubs to how much you're spending on players?

Did somebody dis' our Bucko?

*rolls sleaves up.

Leave the poor guy alone... It must be a sad, cold, lonely world for someone who doesn't understand the greatness of the Buckmeister General...

Archived