James O'Connor

Mr Tibbs

But from what I've seen of Naylor and the sort of player he is, he would stuggle against a winger with a bit of pace, and you can't say he wouldn't because he didn't face a winger like that last season! I agree that Naylor is probabley better than Green at Right-Back and he obviously wasn't a natural, but to say he cost us 9 points is unfair IMO

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't beat pacy wingers with a pacy full back, it's not top trumps! Naylor is a lot more positionally astute, he didn't allow wingers to get the best of him, he kept them out the game, he played a lot of games towards the end and looked faultless, not an attacking defender but defensively was rarely beat and made us a lot better - green was a midfielder, anyone could of spotted that and was out his depth playing right back.

Where did he cost us 9 points?

Yeah he got skinned by Lloyd Dyer if I remember correctly, but correct me if I'm wrong but don't you get 3 points for a win?...

Green at right back unsettled the back 4 - i am not going on individual mistakes, but more along the lines of how much steadier we looked with a balanced and organised back line.

My overall opinion was with Naylor we looked a lot more settled at the back, he rarely got beat and defended very well - allowed us to have a solid foundation whereas Green looked out of position, got caught a lot of the time, was beaten in the air, allowed the other team far too much time on that side and was by far and wide our weak link.

I just think if we ran the same games again, with Naylor in place of Green we would of been around 9 points better off, not because he individually cost us 9 points but because we looked a weaker side with him at right back! significantly weaker...

my point is he didn't cost us 9 points. There is no way of saying how many points Naylor would have given away. He got caught out v Peterborough.

I agree, and as I said before, it will be interesting to see how Naylor fares against a winger of real quality. But going back to the original point, I can't see Naylor getting much of a look in even with the 7 subs allowed, OB and OC the defenders on the bench for me, and Keogh and Bucko starting, giving back up for the whole back line.

my point is he didn't cost us 9 points. There is no way of saying how many points Naylor would have given away. He got caught out v Peterborough.

Although I wouldn't say he "cost" us 9 points he was at fault for alot last year at right back. He can't defendend against pace.. he gets absolutely raped. Certainly at fault than any other of our defenders, including Naylor who did much better in his little spell. A massive weak link like Ambitious said.

Luzern didn't get relegated, and we may sign Gojkaj, Northampton didn't get relegated and we have signed Jacobs. Preston didn't get relegated and we have signed Coutts...

...just because we've signed two defenders from relegated sides doesn't mean they are bad players. nor should it be any real concern. Signing Luke Varney on the other hand, a player who has been relegated four years running and been involved in relegated sides six times in the last seven years surely wouldn't be a good omen for any club...

Archived