Conor Sammon

DcFc Dyycheee

I struggle to understand why people think we should sign every player the fans want when they are linked to other clubs.

It's Nigel Clough's job to assemble a squad that he thinks is capable of reaching the clubs targets, he will build that squad based on numerous factors some of which he has told us in interviews, cost, work hard and gel with the rest of the squad on and off the pitch.

I could sit here all night and list Championship players which have been bought on the cheap and I'd love to see play for Derby but I'd be wasting my time.

Nigel Clough signs who he wants to sign, not who we want him to sign.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I struggle to understand why people think we should sign every player the fans want when they are linked to other clubs.

It's Nigel Clough's job to assemble a squad that he thinks is capable of reaching the clubs targets, he will build that squad based on numerous factors some of which he has told us in interviews, cost, work hard and gel with the rest of the squad on and off the pitch.

I could sit here all night and list Championship players which have been bought on the cheap and I'd love to see play for Derby but I'd be wasting my time.

What utter rubbish. We are his scouting network and if he doesn't sign Fegur Ogude, I'm resigning.

the 3 words 'the clubs targets' are what I elude to, and that's what I struggle with…

we've been here so many times, so I won't go on daveo, it just baffles me the lack of ambition,and I'm glad theTelegraph wrote the article they did,I hope the board fully understood it,and it helps them and Mr Appleby understand why gates are dwindling…

I could sit here all night too, writing along the lines of 'If you build it they will come', but like you, I'd be wasting my time.

I put forward 3 possibilities. As he is 5'7" i'd have thought we don't want him.

I would think West ham pay far higher wages than us and that this is the obstruction to signing what I consider a very good player.I've seen Sammon score a goal on You Tube and when congratulated by his team mates he is certainly one of the tallest so I too am mystified by the mass of data listing him as 5'10" but I am not letting it spoil my weekend...

I hope the board fully understood it,and it helps them and Mr Appleby understand why gates are dwindling…

Just on that point, the official site lists our average attendances for the last 10 seasons as:

11/12 26,020

10/11 25,892

09/10 29,230

08/09 29,440

07/08 32,432 (Prem season)

06/07 25,944 (Promotion season)

05/06 24,165

04/05 25,219

03/04 22,199

02/03 25,469

Whether you trust the figures or not is a different matter, of couse.

But, are the numbers really dwindling because of a lack of ambition, are the fans really that unhappy with our owners?

Or are the figures just doing what they've always done?

Is there really cause for Andy Appleby to be concerned?

Sure, the figures have seen a general downturn since the Premiership season, but that's only natural isn't it

Just on that point, the official site lists our average attendances for the last 10 seasons as:

11/12 26,020

10/11 25,892

09/10 29,230

08/09 29,440

07/08 32,432 (Prem season)

06/07 25,944 (Promotion season)

05/06 24,165

04/05 25,219

03/04 22,199

02/03 25,469

Whether you trust the figures or not is a different matter, of couse.

But, are the numbers really dwindling because of a lack of ambition, are the fans really that unhappy with our owners?

Or are the figures just doing what they've always done?

Is there really cause for Andy Appleby to be concerned?

Sure, the figures have seen a general downturn since the Premiership season, but that's only natural isn't it

Taking out the Prem season, our gate is 2 up on that average (26020 against 26018).

Archived