Conor Sammon

DcFc Dyycheee

Chris Wood could be the young striker Nigel said they would be looking to bring in to cover Ball's loan to Coventry, which was initiated by Coventry not us.................ie. not the main striker to replace Steve Davies

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wood and Sammon. Teams serious about competing last season had 3 or 4 capable strikers. For me Ward isn't a striker, Tyson can't score for toffee, so we have Robinson and very raw Bennett, assuming Savies is going. I think a fit Robinson will score 15-20 this season but on his own that's not enough, although there seems to be nothing in the Wood 'talk' apart from hopeful fans

I think Tyson is a decent player - I don't doubt he is capable of getting goals, just wish he'd get one and then go from there!

Robinson is an odd one, as I think he'll score as long as he plays, Ward would be good playing behind the striker and perhaps that would allow him to get in better positions for his pot shots (like the savies has), Bennett is as strong as they come even at his age but at the minute seems to have a touch of the 'tito villa' about him, and he just charges around like a bull, he has the ability just needs to calm down and he'll get goals.

I think what we have is a bunch of strikers with raw ability that defenders wont like to mark... Ward and Bennett are small and fiesty, hard working... Ward likes to shoot from distance, then you have Tyson and Robinson who have a lot of pace and again work like dogs, keeping the defence on their feet and stretch and pull them.

I do think we could do with a striker who is used to dominating that opposition box and puts the ball in the net, a fox in the box if you like. We have 4 very effective raw strikers, that defences aren't going to like to play against however!

I don't understand the excitement about Chris Wood, yes his names been making the rounds for a while now but that doesn't make him a good goalscorer. According to Wiki he's scored 26 goals in 118 games, making his ratio 1 goal every 4.5 games roughly. Whereas the Sammon kid has a ratio of 1 goal every 3.5 games roughly. Surely he's a better striker to have in the team?

I don't understand the excitement about Chris Wood, yes his names been making the rounds for a while now but that doesn't make him a good goalscorer. According to Wiki he's scored 26 goals in 118 games, making his ratio 1 goal every 4.5 games roughly. Whereas the Sammon kid has a ratio of 1 goal every 3.5 games roughly. Surely he's a better striker to have in the team?

Yes, but all of Sammon's goals came during one season pretty much so it's not very representative. I think the buzz with Wood is that he's so young and already a full international (albeit with New Zealand). There'll be a hefty price tag on him though, maybe a little too much for us.

Salmons off the menu hopefully our scouts at the Olympics can spot a center forward with a better goal scoring record than that woeful record this shrimp has, what is it 1in 6 or summat?

I don't think you can be too harsh on his record, most of them appearances are subs, the wigan fans think he definitely has something, very quick, very strong and very fit and works like a horse.

He could be the new Steve Howard for us, he was never going to make the premier league but he was prominent in this division! I hope we can still get him, not for 2million though... but hope we can get him!

Archived