Formation

Stedcfc

I dont care what formation we play as long as we show more ambition and creativity more often, especially away from home. It's been the same for Cloughs entire time here, away from home we are boring to watch.

Towards the end of last season when we were safe we finally began to dominate sides away from home, Leeds, Cardiff etc and as expected, the results were far better.

Lets hope that Clough has finally realised, after all these years, and with me constantly telling him on here, that defensive/lack of ambition gets you what we have achieved in the last few seasons - mid table obscurity.

I don't think it's any coincedence that we suddenly started playing better away from home when the pressure was lifted. I'm not disagreeing that Clough didn't show enough ambition much of the time, but part of the problem was the youth in the team.

The worry for me is that the squad isn't actually any older. But it looks like we should, in theory at least.

I'm glad we disposed of trampling-over-the-ball Green and burst-the-ball-with-my-first-touch Addison and replaced them with actual footballers. Stands to reason we'll be a little more entertaining, no?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's any coincedence that we suddenly started playing better away from home when the pressure was lifted. I'm not disagreeing that Clough didn't show enough ambition much of the time, but part of the problem was the youth in the team.

The worry for me is that the squad isn't actually any older. But it looks like we should, in theory at least.

I'm glad we disposed of trampling-over-the-ball Green and burst-the-ball-with-my-first-touch Addison and replaced them with actual footballers. Stands to reason we'll be a little more entertaining, no?

All depends on who we have up front this year. No problems last year getting the ball to the edge of their box. It was the lack of a trick/ expert positioning from our forwards that stalled progress thereafter. Theo's a trier and Tyson's struggling so unless we get a real replacement for Davies, we might find goals hard to come by.

It looks to me that the one missing ingredient is a hold up man. Someone brave enough to take the ball,back to goal and wait for the right runner to lay it off to. Sounds easy, but when you've got a CB kicking the back of your legs and little or no protection from the ref its a thankless task.

Ball has the build for it but its as much a mental thing and maybe an older head is needed. Of course, if he can nick the odd goal as well then so much the better.

Doesn't need to be quick or particularly skillfull, is there any 28 year old Kuqi's or Howard's out there?

It will be 442, it's what clough does, coutts on the right and a winger on the left, its what he did at burton and last season with us with his team.

It was 4231 at Burton first half I think with Ward, Coutts and Jacobs in the three. The three switched about a bit too.

We started 442 at Burton, ward and tyson up front and coutts wide right, and quickly changed to 451. Coutts, Hendrick and Bryson in he middle looked good, jacobs left and ward right did ok. As a midfield that looked ok, with coutts adding some drive in the middle with a willingness to collect the ball and run forward with it. The only issue is that without a decent forward, the formation doesn't matter. Tyson was up front on his own and did nothing, theo in the second half was a little better.

Uttox, would agree with that, is this what Connor Sammon does, anyone know ???? Remember when we

had Stead, going back - didnt score many, but certainly held ball, laid it off well, and had alot of assists,

gutted when he was sold to someone else.

i think they were suggesting someone else signed him after his loan instead of us. we were in and he went to Sheff Utd. i also felt he wasn't that decent for us but i only saw highlights. who knows might have been a great team player.

as for formation the 4-4-2 suggested with coutts right and jacobs left sounds plausible. theo and ward up top?

[size=3]

"We do not change our formation too often but we split between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3," said Clough. Throughout the pre-season games, we are going to change it for five or 10 minutes here and there, like we did during the first half at Burton. Paul looked comfortable wide and when he moved inside with Craig Bryson and Jeff Hendrick. That still meant we had two good wide [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Green-light-Paul-Coutts-Nigel-Clough-hails-Derby/story-16616829-detail/story.html#][size=1]men[/size] in Jamie Ward and Michael Jacobs."[/size][size=3]

i've heard people say clough is pretty stayed tactically and its 442 all the way but since he has been here we have tried 4-2-3-1, 4-1-3-2, 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 he signed bueno specifically for 4-2-3-1 in my opinion. I think he's been waiting to get the versatile squad he needed to really try them in the same game over a full season. I also can't falt parking the bus away from home but maybe against some teams we do need to be more positive.[/size][size=3]

for me its its currently a starting 11 of fielding, brayford, buxton, keogh, roberts, coutts, hendrick, bryson, jacobs, ward, theo and a 4-4-2 into 4-3-3.[/size]

Hopefully-

---------------------Frankie------------------

----Brayf----Bucko------Keogh---Roberts

------------Hendrick-----Bryson-----------

Coutts--------------Ward----------Jacobs

-------------------THEOOO-----------------

I'd be happy with that with ward n coutts swapping round every 10 15 mins bit more for opposing full backs to think about

Hopefully-

---------------------Frankie------------------

----Brayf----Bucko------Keogh---Roberts

------------Hendrick-----Bryson-----------

Coutts--------------Ward----------Jacobs

-------------------THEOOO-----------------

Hoganson instead of Roberts and O'brien sometimes, in instead of Buxton

Archived