Tom Glick to Manchester City

CumbrianRam

Maybe it shows where we are as a club, we've had our CEO go to potenitally the biggest club in the world in a few years, we're getting offers for players very early on in the summer, which we haven't had for years. We have a young squad, many promising young players coming through, that i'm sure will get more of a starting role next season (especially Hughes) and we have a debt that is very serviceable. Shows that we really have sorted ourselves out compared to the state we were in a few years ago

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Derby it will be fascinating to see how it all plays out and how the interplay between the new guy, GSE and Nige is affected...

Potentially massive for Nigel - I feel personally that Tom was a big ally of his. Seemed like a lot of mutual support going on there.

Potentially massive for Nigel - I feel personally that Tom was a big ally of his. Seemed like a lot of mutual support going on there.

Was thinking the same.

Cloughs job not so secure now unless he becomes best pals with Glicks replacement

This is more bad news. Who's gonna deal with transfers now.

To be honest, I think that transfers were Glicks weakness- we missed out on some players during his tenure. Maybe this is why we held off on getting the Director of Football in as they new this was potentially going to happen. Would be nice to get someone in the role who has experience of football transfers as well as the marketing side............Pearson?

I think you are right Gboro that there was a mutual appreciation thing going on. I think however that Glick was somewhat powerless in the sense that the budget that he could give Nige to work with was completely dictated by the investors. Thus last summer all the pronouncements of 6 Championship proven signings and judge us by our actions, ground to a halt when the investors pulled the plug on their promises for the summer budget. I think Glick got a lot of flak for that but I think the goalposts got moved on him and thus he had to preclude further signings that Clough had in mind.

So will the new guy be a "GSE man" or will he be a bit more independent and more inclined to ruffle the investors feathers? My bet is the former for sure.

I think you are right Gboro that there was a mutual appreciation thing going on. I think however that Glick was somewhat powerless in the sense that the budget that he could give Nige to work with was completely dictated by the investors. Thus last summer all the pronouncements of 6 Championship proven signings and judge us by our actions, ground to a halt when the investors pulled the plug on their promises for the summer budget. I think Glick got a lot of flak for that but I think the goalposts got moved on him and thus he had to preclude further signings that Clough had in mind.

So will the new guy be a "GSE man" or will he be a bit more independent and more inclined to ruffle the investors feathers? My bet is the former for sure.

Nigel's position is now fascinating. As others have said, it aways appeared that Glick and Clough were very close. Now will the new man appreciate Nigel's foibles and management style? Will Nigel enjoy working for the CEO? Will they just bring in a DoF over Nigel's head? Or the nuclear option, does this presage a takeover?

Bob the Builder has been a bit quiet as of late. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Just as I thought this summer was going to be boring

Well, looks like he knew what he was doing and we are on the right track of where the investors want us to be.

Good luck to him, shame we can't get a transfer fee for him.

As for moving forward, worries me a little as just as we have our longest period of stability in a while and have the possibility of stepping things up over the next year, this happens, and now we have to wait for someone else to come in and learn the club before moving forward.

Will be interesting to hear Niges thoughts on this.

ER

Good luck Tom, you played your part in getting the wage bill down and getting the club on bettter footing. Cannot blame you for taking on the challenge at City, anyone who wants to test themselves at the highest level of their profession would have jumped at the chance at what could be an interesting period of football, at one of the richest clubs in the world.

PS send some of your kids to our academy and can we borrow Nasri for a couple of months?

Derby under Glick are known for their innovative and open approach, and this was recognized by his peers in the Championship when in 2010 he was elected to the Board of the Football League. He is also one of eight members of The FA’s Professional Game Board, and also serves The FA Council and The FA Cup Committee.

The above is taken off a city forum - didn't know about him being on the FA committees.

Derby under Glick are known for their innovative and open approach, and this was recognized by his peers in the Championship when in 2010 he was elected to the Board of the Football League. He is also one of eight members of The FA’s Professional Game Board, and also serves The FA Council and The FA Cup Committee.

The above is taken off a city forum - didn't know about him being on the FA committees.

Totally agree. Tom has achieved a lot in the championship, not sure about derby though. I just hope the likes of Bennett and Hughes will not become easy targets now

Despite being relegated in 2008, Derby now generate twice as much commercial revenue as they did when Glick arrived, with take up of season tickets having increased by 20 per cent during this time at Pride Park and attendances regularly exceeding those of half of the clubs in the Premier League.

Archived