Tom Glick to Manchester City

CumbrianRam

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utter nonsense in my view. He has helped ensure the club is financially viable. Being a "few million in debt" oer increasing the debt simply means that in future years more of the season ticket income goes on interest and debt repayments rather than the wage budget so is just an argument for the credit card economy. It all has to be paid off some day. Some people on here simply expect sugar daddy's to constantly gift the club money. Why??????? And where are you likely to find one?????

The club was in a better financial position before Mr Glick and co arrived.What do you mean sugar daddies?show me the money!

Anyway what are our billionaires for?their football expertise;thieir experiance of english leagues? dont think so.

Nationality and knowledge are not the same thing. And I also tend to think skills more important than knowledge as knowledge can be acquired more easily than skills. The fact that Tom Glick has been identified by the richest club on the planet as the perfect person to grow their business suggests that perhaps his nationality is not an impediment to success

So what position did Glick play ,striker, midfield, defender, goalie ? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

SillyBilly

Hey guys blue in peace here. Some positive comments about him so what's he like? Looks like he's been brought in to help us sort out our finances I'm guessing.

Off the pitch we're considered to be a leading forward thinking club, particularly in the Championship, much of this is credited to Tom Glick who has been the mouthpiece of our investors. On the pitch, we're stagnating at best, are still losing money with the noise being of a continued push towards sustainability. In other words, wage bill continuing to drop below that of our competition (who pretty much all run at a bigger loss) and we have to sell before we buy. Glick, throughout this process has managed to keep the fans relatively on side.

Despite the fact we have billionaire owners, they seemingly have no desire at present to do anything but cover the operating losses of the club, presumably with a view to the club being break even in the near future. Tom has championed this approach as the way forward for football, I'll be interested to see if he changes his tact at City. Ofcourse he could just be there to drive commercial revenues of which he has been a success here.

Andy Appleby said on RD that we are looking for a 'Tom Glick type' replacement. Seriously he did, it'll be on the radio in the morning. But he also said we are looking in England as well as abroad and the search has already started.

You lot do my nut in, you really do.

He's managed to do what every other director has done in our history, and 99% of other directors of all the other football clubs.

We've not gone bust.

Wow, what an achievement.

Meanwhile he's spent nearly £50 million pounds of the investors money, had 2 x £11 million pounds of parachute money and sold off the catering.

Look what we've got to show for it.

We have barely 11 experienced players, a joke of a strike force, no cover in any position bar goalkeeper, are in mid table mediocrity having backed two managers, one with a worse record than Tommy Docherty and one the low end of the average (should I say 'south of average) managers in our history.

The transfer policy he's overseen has been to buy the most injury prone rejects, give them a big contract and hope they come good.

Now he's left us for the big job,well I suppose he's got his 'global brand' after all. If City have any sense they'll keep him away from any football decisions or player contract negotiations.

I'm not having a go at him personally, I've met him a couple of times and he seems a nice chap, but come on, if you think this has been a success you need your head screwing on.

Well thank you on your sincere congratulations.

Don't worry mate probably just jealousy. Glad you lot won it broke the monopoly up a bit and to be honest your lots probably the closest to winning the league that we are gonna get if that makes sense. As in you were just a normal club even in 3rd tier of football not long ago now champions of England playing good attacking football must be like a dream. As for people saying you bought the league I can't name one that hasn't really, you needed to spend that much to catchup, good luck you guys are my champions league team next season

Well I for one think that MCFC have a good guy as Chief Exec. Off the field there have been some good decisions on his watch and Derby have become much more in touch with its local 'community' than at any time in my watching days. And I live 80 miles away.

Football has changed and so has the general management of football clubs, whether we like it or not. Finance and business is now important and is filtering up (rather than down) through the leagues.

In Sir Brian's day the relationship between manager and Chairman was all important - look what happened when Brian and Longson fell out. It led indirectly to our plummeting towards Division 3. Look what happened when the club fell out with Maxwell. Look what happened when Lionel (our last sugar daddy) refused to recognise until too late that we needed a change of manager, because he was friends with and loyal to Jim.

The relationship that is now important is between manager and Chief Exec. Which is why Tom Glick's relationship with Nigel was and is important and why TG's replacement is important.

On the website they say 'business as usual, until he goes'. Not true. TG has already moved on in his own mind. He is excited by his new job - wants to plan for Europe, get his team around him, negotiate new contracts, develop new working relationships, find out how MCFC work, get to know the owners. He will still work for DCFC but he will be distracted - that's human nature.

And this is an important time for us for next season - new players; players going out; season tickets; corporate deals; new staff to hire; new contracts to arrange; Football League representative work; budgets to agree; agents to talk to; and Board/owners to satisfy and report to. Club to run.

The CEO role in the new football world is as important as the manager. The club has to run off the field as well as on it. And you can argue that it has run better off the field than on over the last few years. Last season showed the first signs, in my view, of the two coming closer together. Thanks to Nigel and TG working closely together. Nowadays unaffordable debt is no longer sustainable or acceptable and the punishment in points, publicity and transfer freezing means it is no longer the way forward unless the owner(s) is prepared to splash the cash, without reserve.

So TGs replacement is as important a decision as any that DCFC make and his going marks a moment of concern in our history after a period of stability.

To all City fans on here congratulations on successfully buying the premier league championship.Would you

like a few more americans?I know where theres a few you can have 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

So Manure getting a guarranteed £50-70million a season for 20 years from being in the champions league has nothing to do with their success does it?

Well done City, if that's what it takes then fair play to them.

Football had nothing to do with fair play when Man U Arsenal and Chelsea carved the game up for themselves.

It would serve them right if City won it for the next 20 years.

I just hope Glick doesn't poach our world class backroom staff.

Don't worry mate probably just jealousy. Glad you lot won it broke the monopoly up a bit and to be honest your lots probably the closest to winning the league that we are gonna get if that makes sense. As in you were just a normal club even in 3rd tier of football not long ago now champions of England playing good attacking football must be like a dream. As for people saying you bought the league I can't name one that hasn't really, you needed to spend that much to catchup, good luck you guys are my champions league team next season

The bitchyness has been flying since 2008 mate I'm used to it. I can see why it annoys people but if its happening to their club its great. Just the way it is I guess. One team was picked for a so called lottery win and it was us in 5 years it will probably be another team. With these new regulations I guess most clubs have to fall into line and start living within their means if it saves good clubs going bust then that's great news in my book.

What a tremendous opportunity for him and one he couldnt possibly turn down. As far as his role goes - it's probably the tob job in world football right now.

I dont know why anyone would be saying anything other than good luck. He's not done anything to deserve leaving with anything other than best wishes.

I suspect the links between Manchester City and Derby County just got a bit stronger and that's not the worst thing that's ever happened to us.

So Manure getting a guarranteed £50-70million a season for 20 years from being in the champions league has nothing to do with their success does it?

Well done City, if that's what it takes then fair play to them.

Football had nothing to do with fair play when Man U Arsenal and Chelsea carved the game up for themselves.

It would serve them right if City won it for the next 20 years.

I'm not getting into an arguement about the top premier sides i only support the Rams.Man City fans are on here

thats all.

I just hope Glick doesn't poach our world class backroom staff.

He's managed to do what every other director has done in our history, and 99% of other directors of all the other football clubs.

We've not gone bust.

Has every other director and 99% of every other director had to try and bring stability whilst halving the wage bill?

Meanwhile he's spent nearly £50 million pounds of the investors money, had 2 x £11 million pounds of parachute money and sold off the catering.

Has he really spent all of this personally? I imagine the investors may have had the say on which club they bought. Does the fact that 'he has spent' this much and we are still losing money not show you how bad a situation this club was already in?

We have barely 11 experienced players(neither did Man United when they ruled the Premier League), a joke of a strike force (personal opinion not fact, most would argue Robinson and Davies were both 20 goal a season strikers), no cover in any position bar goalkeeper (Naylor right back, O'Brien and Buxton centre backs, Davies right mid, Bailet centre mid, Hughes left mid, Tyson and Bennett strikers) are in mid table mediocrity having backed two managers (agree with this point), one with a worse record than Tommy Docherty and one the low end of the average (should I say 'south of average) managers in our history.

The transfer policy he's overseen has been to buy the most injury prone rejects, give them a big contract and hope they come good (3 or 4 out of between 20 and 30 signings).

Now he's left us for the big job,well I suppose he's got his 'global brand' after all. If City have any sense they'll keep him away from any football decisions or player contract negotiations (agree on this point).

I'm not having a go at him personally, I've met him a couple of times and he seems a nice chap, but come on, if you think this has been a success you need your head screwing on (unless you know what his remit was you can't say if he has been successful or not. I am guessing if one of the richest men in the world wants to emply him he could be considered successful in his field).

In summary, rants like this do my nut in.

[quote name='curb' timestamp='133832

We've not gone bust.

We have barely 11 experienced players, a joke of a strike force, no cover in any position bar goalkeeper, are in mid table mediocrity having backed two managers, one with a worse record than Tommy Docherty and one the low end of the average (should I say 'south of average) managers in our history.

The transfer policy he's overseen has been to buy the most injury prone rejects, give them a big contract and hope they come good.

Now he's left us for the big job,well I suppose he's got his 'global brand' after all. If City have any sense they'll keep him away from any football decisions or player contract negotiations.

I'm not having a go at him personally, I've met him a couple of times and he seems a nice chap, but come on, if you think this has been a success you need your head screwing on.

I was going to reply with something useful but then I read that bit, I think you need to look into how a football club is ran and what sort of people come together to make decisions like the (mis-informed) claims you make.

Putting in purely on Tom Glicks shoulders is laughable.

Archived