The Cup Final

Pearl Ram

The Cup Final used to be an unmissable game for me, no matter who contested it, as a kid, it was sweets and pop from about half ten in the morning watching all the ballyhoo then the game itself, loved it.

As I got older, it was pork pie, other savouries and a drop of good ale and just the game, it was still unmissable for me. But what have they done to the Cup Final ? This year's seems to be one of the least promoted I can remember and to be honest I'm not sure if I'll even bother with it.

My questions to you are, Are you watching it ? Has it lost the appeal it once had ?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it today ? who's playing ? what time's kick off ?

Seriously tho, the F.A Cup for me lost its appeal when Man Utd pulled out to play in the

'World Team Championship' in 1999... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_carling_premiership/381662.stm

never forgiven 'em for that..

Hey I'm no apologist for Man United but I always thought they were told to get over to South America to appease people would could influence our World Cup bid.

Got to say the two teams involved today are not my favourites, man what I would give to see us beat dirty Leeds in a cup final......

I think television has largely killed the cup competitions. There is so much Premiership football on telly now, each game billed as the biggest event in Creation (even if it's West Brom v Fulham). We have all seen Chelsea and Liverpool play in this type of overhyped contest week after week and this weekend only the venue is different.

The build up to the cup final used to be something special and get you right in the mood, but now this happens before every game and we've grown weary of it.

And today? Who do you cheer for in a battle between two teams of love rats and racists?

For me F.A. Cup still has that special appeal. But only the early rounds when there still is a chance for small clubs to create surprises. Giant killing is the thing for me. The final doesn't excite me much anymore. I'm so tired of Manu and Chelsea that couldn't care less.

At one point it use to be just about the only game you ever got to see live which made it extra special.

The team hotel

On the bus with the players playing cards

Finding out the nicknames of the players

Supporting the underdog

Wembley

Twin towers

Wembley way

The funny banners (it will be a doddle with waddle and hoddle was my fave)

40000fans from each team

Yep, the FA have totally ruined it....i wont be watching it at al, bigger game, FC Muespach v FC Wittersdorf kick off 18:00, all welcome.

I wont even be getting my hair cut.

BC was right, TV has killed football. It just took longer than he expected. I almost want those clubs close to the wall to go belly up so that football can be reborn the old way.

As for today, I have a genuine distaste for the lack of respect or discipline at both clubs, I hate the fact that there will be a real core of "gentlemen" playing with foreign morals about what is and what is not acceptable. I hate the way they are both set up to play, to cheat, to moan and then to cheat some more.

I hate the fact that stand up character John Terry will be beamed live across our TV's with his face twisted likely screaming "you beauty" in triumph. If he doesnt swear he'll have done very well.

If not him then Suarez, great player though he is, if the game isnt going his way just watch how he behaves.

I could go through both sides and pick out players who act like ***** week in week out.

it's awful, I might just get a cold beer and play computer scrabble instead.

Cracks me up how the FA complain about teams not taking the FA Cup as seriously as they should, yet they, and the media broadcasters, have turned it into 'just another game'.

No matter who was in the final, I used to love getting up on Cup Final morning and turning the telly on at breakfast and then following the 6 hour buildup!

An all day event turned into a bear-minimum broadcast. Rubbish.

At one point it use to be just about the only game you ever got to see live which made it extra special.

The team hotel

On the bus with the players playing cards

Finding out the nicknames of the players

Supporting the underdog

Wembley

Twin towers

Wembley way

The funny banners (it will be a doddle with waddle and hoddle was my fave)

40000fans from each team

Yep, the FA have totally ruined it....i wont be watching it at al, bigger game, FC Muespach v FC Wittersdorf kick off 18:00, all welcome.

One of the reasons why ordinary fans can't get tickets............................

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2134697/Charles-Sale-Ticket-touting-FA-official-job.html]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2134697/Charles-Sale-Ticket-touting-FA-official-job.html

I'm one of those sad people who watch the FA cup final but I only really enjoy it when it is between 2 teams who are unequally matched.

Just occasionally David finds his five smooth stones and slays Goliath. (With the right help of course!).

Sadly I don't give a toss which side wins, as long as it's not Chelsea 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> So it's a rest for me now and back online at 515.

SEE YOU 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

The Cup Final was and still should be the last game of the season 3pm kick-off.

The biggest thing that wracks me off is the 2 teams getting 25,000 tickets each with the other 50 odd thousand tickets going to bloody free-loaders,sponsors and the football family!!

Do me a favour,just split the tickets 50/50 between the two teams so the genuine fan can get to the game not people who don't give a toss and who are just there on a freebie

Lost all it's appeal..

The last final I can remember where there was geniune hype, a huge build-up and everyone got together and watched the build-up in anticipation was around 10 years ago when Liverpool beat Arsenal 2-1 with Micheal Owen scoring 2 goals.. I think it was in 2001/02 or something like that..

There have been a couple of other decent finals (Liverpool 3-3 WHU) and (Arsenal 1-0 Southampton) but the majority have been poor contested between big clubs either having easy wins or being stuck in a stalemate.. As for the occasion, poor..

I also don't know what it is about Wembley but it makes the games look really slow and rigid.. It's a poor stadium IMO (to watch on the TV)

The ode Wembley. The difference between this new one and the old one is huge. Go back and watch some of the euro 96 highlights, alright, it was England and our stadium but the difference was the stadium held the atmosphere.

Football fandom was respected, it's not anymore. It's about letting a few of the peasents in and saving the majority for the elite. The middle part of the main stand is rarely full, pretty sad really.

If you're watching the build up just look at the stands and that mesmerising image of the hive of fans. Amazing.

Archived