13 wins/Play Off chances PTII merged.

ariotofmyown

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fell happy that we chasing the top 6 teams in the division instead of trying to keep ahead of the bottom 3 in this division. No matter what this is an improvement at this time of the season.

COYR

It has been an improvement, but we're not chasing the top 6.. Chasing the top 10 is more realistic.

I think the position now becomes irrelevant.. A few years ago we finished 14th (sounds respectable) but we only had 56 points and the performances were awful..

This season we've made improvements on the points tally (we could finish with 60+ points and still finish 16th) and the performances have improved.. We've become better defensively and overall more solid.. Whether that's enough for people I don't know, but we're better this season than what we were last season..

Clough has to be careful though, a good finish this season (e.g. 9th) will heap pressure on for next season with people expecting top 6.. A bad season next season or a backwards step and people will want him gone.. That's the problem with overachieving.

If anyone really expects us to make the playoffs here are the odds..

West Ham 8/11

Brum 10/11

Reading 6/5

M'Boro 6/5

Brighton 6/5

Cardiff 5/4

Blackpool 11/8

Hull City 15/8

Leicester City 15/4

Leeds Utd 11/2

Soton 20/1

Palace 28/1

Ipswich 40/1

Derby 40/1

Watford 66/1

Burnley 80/1

I'd fancy Leicester with those odds... Their remaining games are Forest (H) P'Boro (A) Donny (H) Ipswich (A) Millwall (A) Burnley (H) WHU (H) Leeds Utd (A)

I can see them getting 5 or 6 wins from those 8 games that will give them 70 points +..

West Ham 8/11

Brum 10/11

Reading 6/5

M'Boro 6/5

Brighton 6/5

Cardiff 5/4

Blackpool 11/8

Hull City 15/8

Leicester City 15/4

Leeds Utd 11/2

Soton 20/1

Palace 28/1

Ipswich 40/1

Derby 40/1

Watford 66/1

Burnley 80/1

I'd fancy Leicester with those odds... Their remaining games are Forest (H) P'Boro (A) Donny (H) Ipswich (A) Millwall (A) Burnley (H) WHU (H) Leeds Utd (A)

I can see them getting 5 or 6 wins from those 8 games that will give them 70 points +..

West Ham 8/11

Brum 10/11

Reading 6/5

M'Boro 6/5

Brighton 6/5

Cardiff 5/4

Blackpool 11/8

Hull City 15/8

Leicester City 15/4

Leeds Utd 11/2

Soton 20/1

Palace 28/1

Ipswich 40/1

Derby 40/1

Watford 66/1

Burnley 80/1

Are these odds just to get in the play offs? West Ham at 8/11!? I'd be having some of that! Where did you get these odds from?

Are these odds just to get in the play offs? West Ham at 8/11!? I'd be having some of that! Where did you get these odds from?

Bet365.. Yes these are odds to get into the playoffs..

WHU are the favourites to finish in the playoffs IMO.. They're garaunteed a top 3 finish, it's just whether they can pip Reading to 2nd place..

I think WHU are the safest bet out of the lot.. But with the other teams it's going to be tight, having a study of the fixtures I'd still fancy Brum to make the playoffs.

Predicting on a single game is far different to predicting on the overall outcome of a season..

There is more chance of Utd winning the league than there was Man Utd beating Fulham by 2 clear goals..

Of the teams for the playoffs I think Cardiff, Hull City and Leeds Utd aren't going to make them.. It's between Brum, Blackpool, Leicester City, Brighton and Middlesborough for the other 3 spots IMO

Even as the top 3 go it's difficult to predict which one will finsih 2nd out of WHU and Reading.. Both have tricky games coming up plus a potential 'decider' at Upton Park between the two..

The odds are what they are because of how difficult it is to predict who will finish in them at this stage.. If any of them don't pick up at least 11 points from the last 7/8 games it's game over.

West Ham 8/11

Brum 10/11

Reading 6/5

M'Boro 6/5

Brighton 6/5

Cardiff 5/4

Blackpool 11/8

Hull City 15/8

Leicester City 15/4

Leeds Utd 11/2

Soton 20/1

Palace 28/1

Ipswich 40/1

Derby 40/1

Watford 66/1

Burnley 80/1

Soton at 20/1? Might just put every last penny on that one!

Soton at 20/1? Might just put every last penny on that one!

As Anag Ram pointed out.. It's not to finish 'in the top 6' it's to finish in the playoffs (3rd to 6th) hence the long odds..

Funny how they think there's more chance of Southampton blowing a 9 point lead with 7 games remaining and finishing in the playoffs than Derby claiming 5 more points than those above us from now until the end of the season.

As said before not going to get in a debate with Bris over this. I have stated my views. Anyone of Brighton, Boro, Blackpool, Cardiff, Hull, Leeds, Leicester, Us, Watford and possibly Palace are all dreaming of a playoff spot. I am happy with where we are, I am happy with the thought that a team many have written off as rubbish or crap is still in with a chance. So what if we are pushing for 10th, 6th etc the fact that we are is a massive improvement. As someone mentioned before the season we got 56pts we played teams at the end of the season who like us at the time had nothing to play for and we picked results up. We are playing Leeds, Boro and Cardiff which are as much are 6pt games as if we were in a relegation battle. That week of games will be crucial if we are going to get a playoff spot. If we can beat Leeds away, Boro at home and pick up a point at Cardiff (difficult some will say is impossible but no one can predict the results so will see what happens). That could see us leap frog them.

It would appear the teams from 4th down are all playing each other and results are no way guaranteed. For example the last games for Leeds are Watford, Reading, us, Peterborough, Blackpool, Cardiff, Leicester. Boro have Brighton, us, Cardiff, Southampton and Doncaster who will be fighting to stop up. Not one team who could claim a playoff spot from Palace up to 4th have it easy.

Instead of knocking the efforts or writing off our chances, I am enjoying the situation and keeping everything crossed in a positive way and as I said before least it is not a case of playing these games looking at points to keep us up. Which one is better looking up or looking behind us, I know which one I prefer

It has been an improvement, but we're not chasing the top 6.. Chasing the top 10 is more realistic.

I think the position now becomes irrelevant.. A few years ago we finished 14th (sounds respectable) but we only had 56 points and the performances were awful..

This season we've made improvements on the points tally (we could finish with 60+ points and still finish 16th) and the performances have improved.. We've become better defensively and overall more solid.. Whether that's enough for people I don't know, but we're better this season than what we were last season..

Clough has to be careful though, a good finish this season (e.g. 9th) will heap pressure on for next season with people expecting top 6.. A bad season next season or a backwards step and people will want him gone.. That's the problem with overachieving.

I accept your view as this is your opinion. However I do not agree with points you have made which is my opinion

Well, from the midweek games, 'promotion rivals' Palace drop 2 points at home to lowly Doncaster, Hull lose at then-bottom team Pompey, Leicester can only draw at home to their 'bitter local rivals' crappy Forest and Boro arguably get a good point at Judge Jewell's Ipswich.

It's almost as if there is little difference between teams in this league, especially outside the top 3.

We see everything through Derby spectacles, but if we supported a team now occupying a playoff position, or were equal 6th, but our form was stuttering: Brum, Boro, Cardiff, Blackpool, then we'd be looking down the table at the likes of in-form Derby and starting to worry. If 2 of those 4 teams have a good finish to the season, we'll have to do amazing to catch them. But in this division, they'll probably have an average finish to the season.

The next 2 matches are critical.

Blackpool home to Southampton and away to Watford

Cardiff home to Millwall and away to Boro

Boro away to Brighton and home to Cardiff

Brum with the extra game away to Donny, away to Burnley and home to Palace

All 4 feeling the pressure and a good chance of none of the first 3 getting over 3 points.

With 'no pressure and nothing to play for', even 4 points from the next 2 games could take us into Leeds, Boro and Cardiff knowing wins could mean we over take all 3

Archived