13 wins/Play Off chances PTII merged.

ariotofmyown

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? So give him a 3 year contract but no transfer funds?

My honest answer to this is that I'd sack Clough and give the money to someone else. But anyway - we can return to this kind of talk once we return to losing games. I just thought I'd post my honest views at a time when we're doing well, so doom mongers like me can't be accused of only turning up in the bad times (or usual times!).

My honest answer to this is that I'd sack Clough and give the money to someone else. But anyway - we can return to this kind of talk once we return to losing games. I just thought I'd post my honest views at a time when we're doing well, so doom mongers like me can't be accused of only turning up in the bad times (or usual times!).

Yeah well good for you. You don't get alot of people that stand by their guns whatever happens. But just curious, who would you have instead of Clough? Without forgetting the disruption to the academy with the rest of the staff following him. My opinion is that Clough has brought stability. Excellent academy, an overall better squad than when he took over, and at the moment results. We're not going to get relegated, so surely you would sack Clough because you want immediate short term success?

Does anyone know how many "senior" players we have- not including the ones we have loaned out?

We have 31 players on contract. Plus a couple of kids in Wiil Hughes and Bennett.

"Senior" players (first team): Fielding, Legzdins, Brayford, Roberts, Barker, Buxton, O'Brien, Shackell,

Green, Bailey, B.Davies, Hendrick, Bryson, S.Davies, Robinson, Ward, Doyle, Ball, Tyson. It's 19 for me.

Loaned out: Atkins, Addison, Croft, Cole.

Youngsters (ones for the future): Severn, Jones, Naylor, Witham, Connolly. Out of favour: Deeney, Cywka.

I'm not sure where i should put Bennett and Maguire to. I don't count Hughes as a squad player just yet.

Northern Ram, I'd agree with Witham and Naylor to make the step up, the others will be a bit further down the pecking order because of the players in front of them, or that's how I'd call it. Naylor provides cover for Brayford and with a bit of a re-shuffle provides a defensive solution. Witham provides a goal scoring threat from midfield and can pick out a pass, but needs to bulk up a bit.

Severn is a decent keeper but must surely be behind Legzdins as back up to Frank. I've not seen enough of Jones or Connolly to form a view about their chances of making the step up, but obviously it's the backroom staff and their opinion that matters.

Your assessment is just about spot on how I would see it, the one thing that is a bit different is that the youngsters will be given a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this thread to see what we need to do to get to the playoffs. After 3 games in this 'easier' run of 5 matches we obviously pciked up 4 points. Locally rivalry aside, we really need to win the next 2 matches against lowly opposition to keep in the hunt.

2 wins would leave us needing 10 wins (29 points) from the last 16 matches, or an average of 1.8 points per game (83 points in a season form). Not easy at all, but possible, especially when you'd fancy us against any of the 'easier' matches in mid-March to mid-April.

However, just 1 point in the next 2 matches is quite a different story. We'd need 12 wins (34 points) from the last 16 matches, or an average of 2.1 points per game (record breaking 97 points in a season form).

We need 2 wins for the playoff dream/fantasy to stay alive.

Easier until mid-Feb:

Forest H

Millwall A

Harder until mid-March:

Reading H

Southampton A

Leicester H

Brum A

Blackpool H

Easier until mid-April:

Watford H

Doncaster A

Brighton A

Palace H

Bristol A

Ipswich H

Harder:

Leeds A

Boro H

Cardiff A

Portsmouth A

Finishing with winable Peteboro H

There's no way we'll finish in the play offs until Bris is in charge, signs Iniesta and Sneijder and we put 100 passes per goal together, and never clear the ball to safety, just pass it out of trouble.

Or we get George Burley back.

If it's not one of them - forget it.

• 1 month later...

So now we got 55 points with 7 games left and if we win all of them, we'll have the 'magic' 76 points to make the playoffs. Remaining fixtures are:

Bristol A

Ipswich H

Leeds A

Boro H

Cardiff A

Portsmouth A

Peteboro H

2 wins in the next 2 matches, and with some of the teams above us playing each other/having tough games, playoff mania will be upon us again on the morning that the Lord rises again.

I think we can certainly make it, but doubt we will... should be looking to win all our last 7 games, play off bottlers in Cardiff, Boro and Leeds who have took nosedives in the recents weeks, along with relegation sides who we should be beating along with ipswich at home, much like Palace... should be a definite win.

Our players SHOULD be up for this, best chance we've had since Clough was manager... he needs to drop the monotone act and drive the players on these next 7 games!

Archived