Pride Park Atmosphere - Pls Read and Take Action.

therams69

I don't see how the atmosphere can change so much from games like Leeds & Forest to what we saw today. I know everyone is more up for it with these games, but it's still the same thing, its singing , not hard!!

I don't know about that - I think with Derby fans at both ends, giving the away fans a corner, is making the best of what we've got. The photo today, of the penalty, and a half empty south stand, just doesn't make sense. It's our ground, let them visiting, sit where they're told. I remember going to Leicester, and being shoved in a corner, whilst they lorded it over the ground. Why can't we.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because singing doesn't necessarily make a good atmosphere.

Take teams like Palace at Selhurst for instance - they've got a fair few people singing for 90 minutes behind the goal but it's not a place that i'd say had atmosphere. For a start the game seems secondary to them - their singing doesn't reflect the changing situations in the game and is instead an inane background rumble of woahoaah's and oooohh's. It's one of my main criticisms of our away support, and at times home support as well because we are guilty of the same thing. Repetitive, boring, overly drawn out, meaningless stuff that doesn't really support the team.

Atmosphere is the roar of the crowd when a contentious decision goes the opposition's way, the appeals for handball, the spontaneous "Go 'arn" as a striker breaks free of the last man and the crowd rise as one, the banter amongst the home support, the baiting of the away fans, exchanging pleasantries with the Old Bill/stewards, abusing the ref, the buzz of the crowd before the teams come out, the "come on" as the challenges fly in...

Of course chanting plays it's part, and it is the biggest factor that makes an atmosphere, but it's the other, smaller parts which turn good atmosphere's into white hot atmosphere's like those we've had against the likes of Forest, Leeds and West Ham. Unfortunately these are hard to contrive and happen wholly organically, and I really don't know why some games incite these things and others don't.

Yes Joe, I agree, and do you think these things, at both ends, will hurt? We don't have to think about chanting all game, just the fact, that Derby fans, are behind each goal, surely would make a difference.

Atmosphere was beyond embarassing today, considering the result and performance, and our chants were worse. Let me give you an example.

Palace sang straight for half an hour, it went quiet, then Derby fans made the most repulsive, disgusting, perveted, delluded, idiotic, embarassing and pathetic chant back I have heard on my 17 years on this planet, and it will probably remain so for the rest of my life:

"We're Derby County, we'll sing on our own".

PLEASE. I BEG YOU. DO NOT SING THAT. Especially in that scenario...when that's the first song we've sung all match.

That one noise was more embarassing than our Premier League season, our defeat to Crawley last season and the signing of Claude Davis combined.

I hate it when we sing that 'we follow we follow we follow, thats the way we like it we like it....' Becasue everyone just starts clapping really quickly and the song gets drowned out. It really is cringeworthy. Palace fans were brilliant today no one can deny that.

Because singing doesn't necessarily make a good atmosphere.

Take teams like Palace at Selhurst for instance - they've got a fair few people singing for 90 minutes behind the goal but it's not a place that i'd say had atmosphere. For a start the game seems secondary to them - their singing doesn't reflect the changing situations in the game and is instead an inane background rumble of woahoaah's and oooohh's. It's one of my main criticisms of our away support, and at times home support as well because we are guilty of the same thing. Repetitive, boring, overly drawn out, meaningless stuff that doesn't really support the team.

Atmosphere is the roar of the crowd when a contentious decision goes the opposition's way, the appeals for handball, the spontaneous "Go 'arn" as a striker breaks free of the last man and the crowd rise as one, the banter amongst the home support, the baiting of the away fans, exchanging pleasantries with the Old Bill/stewards, abusing the ref, the buzz of the crowd before the teams come out, the "come on" as the challenges fly in...

Of course chanting plays it's part, and it is the biggest factor that makes an atmosphere, but it's the other, smaller parts which turn good atmosphere's into white hot atmosphere's like those we've had against the likes of Forest, Leeds and West Ham. Unfortunately these are hard to contrive and happen wholly organically, and I really don't know why some games incite these things and others don't.

All good points.

Although a constant singing fan base will add to that, may even gee up the rest of the support. Will gain the attention of the away support as they need to represent themselves.

Problem with a lot of Derby fans is arrogance, that's my opinion. The only reason we are hyped up against Forest and Leeds is because we consider them rivals and the likes of West Ham because they're considered promotion candidates. Against anyone else the fans fail to motivate themselves in vocal support. When we beat Newcastle that time, 3 - 0, the fans were well up for it that day. Because they were promotion candidates.

We rarely hear that "g'waaaan" backing anymore when a player will charge down the wing or breaking through the middle on a counter attack. TBH, this is now a nationwide thing, hardly any of the English clubs fans do that these days.

Palace started there 'ultras' style group last season at the same time as Nick and the NSBA guys, if not long before. It was quite a small group originally. Palace have been allowed to blossom and their support has most definitely improved as a result, whereas Derby fans have been held back and ignored. Not just by the club but by a lot of nay sayers on this forum and I'm sure others.

It won't work if people don't support it or join in. The south stand idea, the petition, the desire for safe standing are all good starts, but they're nothing without the backing of the club. If they continue to ignore it, it won't happen.

The guy who plays the music has a lot to answer for, he should be ashamed of himself and the absolute dire song choices he makes. Does nothing to inspire the crowd, let alone the players who are exposed to it pre game and the irony of it all....the public announcer crying "COME ON YOU RAAAAAAAMS" as if it's going to work on its own.

Derby County are a complete contradiction.

You don't have to sing tho' - them that do, want to, them that don't don't have to?

If them that do, are in an area where they can, and everyone else (Me included), are in the 'every now and again' bit - we're all sorted.

Networker - did you really relax in the last 10 minutes?

You don't have to sing tho' - them that do, want to, them that don't don't have to?

If them that do, are in an area where they can, and everyone else (Me included), are in the 'every now and again' bit - we're all sorted.

Networker - did you really relax in the last 10 minutes?

Oh hell no. I forgot to say that, yeah the last 10 minutes...what can I say, wouldn't be Derby without it I suppose.

Seems to me that Derby fans (nowadays) in general want us to win against Forest and Leeds really badly.

The rest of the time they're not too fussed, yes it would be nice to go home talking about the goals they've seen, but they are generally happy that they've been to a game, and they aren't 'doing a Portsmouth'.

A bit like the sun coming out, it's nice when it happens, but it's not going to spoil their day out if it doesn't.

Interesting comments as ever...

For me, as you know, the South Stand move has to occur if we are to get a good (at the moment any kind) of atmosphere.

Leeds, Forest and West Ham were good but that's because of who they are etc and the entire ground is up for this game. For such games as Barnsley, Palace, Doncaster etc we need to work on and think how can we sort this.

Take Palace yesterday, absolutely outsung and embarrassed again as I predicted we would be. We had probably the same number singing as each other but the difference was they were behind the goal and the noise spread. In the corner you have the East Corner and South Stand. Noise at games such as these does not travel all the way around the corner never mind the whole stadium. If we were to have a presence behind the goal it would only need say 1000 to be really heard, probably a quarter of what are already in the SE Corner.

We are pushed away in the SE Corner. The sooner the home fans get behind the goal that wish to be vocal will only be the time the atmosphere at Pride Park improves.

What I can tell you is that the North Stand Block A worked. We maxxed at 150 for a Tuesday night game against Ipswich and absolutely nailed it. Outsung the SE Corner and remember all the raving on here. With a move to the South Stand alot more who have already stated they would move will make a big difference. You often see that at away games when behind the goal.

Whenever Derby fans have been in a corner at a ground the atmosphere has been poor so it will not improve at Pride Park whilst we are where we are. If the club want that 12th man they have to act and set this up.

And a reason that North Stand Block A didn't kick on to the second season was because the club made us move.

Also alot were not attracted to the North Stand because they wanted to be next to the away fans. That being said I do feel that if we were allowed a second season in NSBA then it would have improved numbers wise. Either way, many fans and myself really enjoyed the time spent in their and would probably move right now given what the SE has to offer currently.

I didn't go yesterday (working away), but I've got a couple of points to make here.

I understand you're trying to make a difference, and well done for that, but I think your post above is wrong.

Having seen the highlights, and I think I'm right in saying, there were around 1,000 Palace fans there located in the far right hand corner of the south stand (looking at it from the pitch) occupying just over one block of seats (a block is aisle to aisle, from front to back, around 900 seats).

You are located in the East Stand with a similar number of Derby fans occupying the first block in the south stand, aisle to aisle before the next block which starts the corner off.

There really isn't any difference accoustically in the block on right and the block on the left, they only difference is the block on the right is full of away fans who want to sing and have a good time.

If you put the block of 900 Palace fans and the block of 900 Derby fans anywhere in ground the result would be exactly the same.

I didn't go yesterday (working away), but I've got a couple of points to make here.

I understand you're trying to make a difference, and well done for that, but I think your post above is wrong.

Having seen the highlights, and I think I'm right in saying, there were around 1,000 Palace fans there located in the far right hand corner of the south stand (looking at it from the pitch) occupying just over one block of seats (a block is aisle to aisle, from front to back, around 900 seats).

You are located in the East Stand with a similar number of Derby fans occupying the first block in the south stand, aisle to aisle before the next block which starts the corner off.

There really isn't any difference accoustically in the block on right and the block on the left, they only difference is the block on the right is full of away fans who want to sing and have a good time.

If you put the block of 900 Palace fans and the block of 900 Derby fans anywhere in ground the result would be exactly the same.

Palace had around 1500 fans.

Disagree, it does come down to location. As I said in my last post we had 150 on a Tuesday night in NSBA and were heard all around the ground yet the SE Corner prob has double that on some songs and are not heard.

It is also about being seen, tucked away in the SE Corner other areas of the ground are not seen. With the away fans sandwiched in the middle the South Stand will be vocal and so will the East Stand who up until now cuts off when it reaches the corner.

And this is exactly what Derby County need to do with the new South Stand.

[url=http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/HomeTickets/0,,10335~2309750,00.html]http://www.cardiffci...2309750,00.html

If they can work it then Derby County can.

I post on a website called urban75, the owner is a Cardiff supporter and there are many Welsh people that post there. What they are doing at Cardiff is very respectful, similar at Swansea.

The guy who runs that website probably has a lot of respect amongst Cardiff people, he used to run a comic called the bluebirds during all the hooliganism days. He was anti fighting and all that tribal warring rubbish. The website is an anarchist website btw, which isn't a destructful organisation it just has more respect for the people than an hierarchial organisation at least in their opinion and mine. It promotes non hierarchial voluntary associations. Very much what I consider yourself (Nick) and football fandom to be...but this is just my opinion.

Cardiff have the freedom to chant and stand, they also communicate with the fans regarding pre match songs and half time songs. 'Three little birds' is one of the fan favourites. With a little bit of communication anything is possible, football fandom can be extremely useful in football in many ways, not just football games themselves.

Whats going on in this country? Seems at every turn we're being told what to do now, no such thing as freedom and football fandom is a massive casualty in this country. The 90's was a great time to be a football fan, before all the money. Euro 96 etc.. Fandom blossomed without all that hooliganism going on (bar a few incidents).

QPR was an example of what tends to happen now, football is becoming stale.

There's always gonna be a few idiots though, so everyone must suffer the same fate it seems.

Whats going on in this country? Seems at every turn we're being told what to do now, no such thing as freedom and football fandom is a massive casualty in this country.

I think we're expected to sit down and give them our money. Beyond that, they aren't that interested.

Archived