Draws

Bris Vegas

Are overrated.. Anyone else feel the same? Don't get me wrong, a 2-2 draw away at a decent Reading side is a really good result given the injuries etc..

However does anyone else feel abit cheated that we don't even attempt to win games when in a drawing position at 80 mins away from home? Why do we do this?

The last time we scored a goal past 80 minutes to win/draw the game was... Does anyone know? (Bonus points to those that know - league game only folks!) I don't remember a time under Clough doing this, at all.. Last season we took a big fat 0 points from losing positions in the 80th minute.. That stat is shocking in comparison to the amount of points we threw away..

Not here to beat NC or the team with a stick, I just feel they are definately missing a trick by not trying to win games late on.. I'd rather us try and go for the win and occasionally lose than draw them all.. It's simple maths.. Win 2 lose 3 = more points than drawing all 5.. Or if you want to go bigger, winning 4 and losing 7 (deemed poor right?) is better than drawing 11 games..

Think we should take a leaf out of Readings book, there was only going to be one winner tonight once it approached 80 minutes.. They've found the net 4 times this season in the last 5 minutes, turning a defeat into a draw (1 point) and 2 draws into wins (4 points).. They've been rewarded with 5 extra points just for being brave and going for it..

Am I the only one fustrated by this? Do I have a right to be?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree.

Who says we aren't even attempting to win games? We are a fairly poor side (lower mid table at best) with our current squad and it is down to our managers tactics that we are where we are.

It's a bit like saying why didn't Frank Bruno try and knock down Mike Tyson? He wasn't as good a fighter as his opponent so couldn't get close to him.

When we have a team which is capable of playing on a par with Reading (away from home) then I'll agree but with our current playing staff, we're doing just fine and a draw looks like another great point gained and certainly not a lost opportunity to get the full three points.

We tried to win at home on Saturday as both teams did and we came very close to that feat. Away from home, we have to be more defensive as the onus is on the home side.

We should be looking to get something out of every game and realistically, a draw away from home is a good result. Win your home games and don't lose away.

We are one of the leading sides to have earned points from losing positions this year. Before yesterdays games were joint top with Palace on 7 points. If you look at Reading and their bench compared to ours they had more experienced pros to call upon. If we had more options we could use them.

Are overrated.. Anyone else feel the same? Don't get me wrong, a 2-2 draw away at a decent Reading side is a really good result given the injuries etc..

However does anyone else feel abit cheated that we don't even attempt to win games when in a drawing position at 80 mins away from home? Why do we do this?

The last time we scored a goal past 80 minutes to win/draw the game was... Does anyone know? (Bonus points to those that know - league game only folks!) I don't remember a time under Clough doing this, at all.. Last season we took a big fat 0 points from losing positions in the 80th minute.. That stat is shocking in comparison to the amount of points we threw away..

Not here to beat NC or the team with a stick, I just feel they are definately missing a trick by not trying to win games late on.. I'd rather us try and go for the win and occasionally lose than draw them all.. It's simple maths.. Win 2 lose 3 = more points than drawing all 5.. Or if you want to go bigger, winning 4 and losing 7 (deemed poor right?) is better than drawing 11 games..

Think we should take a leaf out of Readings book, there was only going to be one winner tonight once it approached 80 minutes.. They've found the net 4 times this season in the last 5 minutes, turning a defeat into a draw (1 point) and 2 draws into wins (4 points).. They've been rewarded with 5 extra points just for being brave and going for it..

well i was at the soton game and we were trying to win it at the end. so stick with the draws - it's all we got.

I think with our record of conceding goals late on over the last 2, or so, years we need to approach the last 10 mins with more caution, especially away from home, more care desire and concentration. At the moment i would be happy, away from home, to take a more cautious last 10 mins and play it out for a draw but if around Feb time we are still in the top 8 that is when i will be expecting us to go all out for the win from drawing positions (barring a couple of games against the top 2)

Bloody hell, is this for real?!

6 months ago, a draw at Reading would have been a fantastic result. Now we've been winning a few, it's suddenly overrated!

I don't think we played for the draw last night (hence scoring twice), and we gave it a good go against Southampton.

I would have been pleased with a draw before yesterdays match. We got one, with a depleted side. I think that NC has learnt from last year when we were forever throwing the match away in the last few minutes. Given a full compliment of defenders NC could push until the end, I think he was sensible to be cautious.

Bloody hell, is this for real?!

6 months ago, a draw at Reading would have been a fantastic result. Now we've been winning a few, it's suddenly overrated!

I don't think we played for the draw last night (hence scoring twice), and we gave it a good go against Southampton.

You only get a point for a draw and I can see the point about gambling for three. However anybody who has played football to a decent level will know that the confidence loss from losing games is more damaging than the loss of 1 point.

I wouldn't mind Bris' opinion if we'd drawn if we'd drawn 6 and only won 3 instead of the other way around...

It staggers me that we'd 4th, technically joint 2nd, and still people are bitching and moaning!!! What will it f**kin take for people to be satified by Derby County Football Club??? A quadruple quadruple??? The 2018 England squad made up entirely by our players winning the World Cup by thrashing Brazil 17-0 in the final and restricting them to a measly 3% posession??? When will you people be happy?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??

Ok then, deep breaths. You know sod it, I'm not going to worry about it anymore. I'll just have to remember the simple fact that there's a few MISERABLE C**TS in this world...

Nope totally disagree, you get promoted in this league by building runs, that comes with confidence, and that can be built with these draws.

These will lay the foundations for us to push on at home, where we can take control and go for the win.

But from what you are saying, you would have been happy if we lost pushing for the win, at a ground where we have got hammered for the past few seasons ?

think the frustration stems from being in the lead twice and not being able to hang on rather than the result itself. If we'd come from 2 down, or equalised twice like they did, we'd all be delighted.

I would have gladly taken a draw before kick off yet felt a bit frustrated at the end exactly for the reason above, and mostly because Reading didn't sound any great shakes at all.

This morning, I am indeed pleased with the draw!

I agree with you Bris in a way, if we had the players to do so i'd agree 100%. But the players we've got at the moment just arent good enough going forward. They are however, much better this season at digging in and defending as a unit, i've made my peace with how we play away from home. It's never gunna be pretty and it drives me mad sometimes, but so far this season it's generally been effective.

Totally disagree - we have tried to win most games and almost snatched a late winner against Barnsley.

I would actually take 11 draws over 4 wins and 7 defeats.

It's only one point less and being unbeaten in 11 is much better for confidence and shows a bit of reslience in the team.

We've won one more game than 'Boro but their draws have kept them up there.

right bris, i disagree with you in a big way here. We are currently 4th, we went to a team that hasn't lost in 5 and got a point, this is also a team we haven't got anything at for years. We scored two goals and we kept our strikers on, now most think i am a negative bugger and in some ways they are right but how can you view this result negatively? yes we went in the lead and should have kept it, but we scored 2 away from home again which is a good sign. It is still early in the season and if we went on the attack and lost people would also be complaining. It does seem unless we win every game there will be plenty complaining, last year i firmly believe the fans had a right to complain and a right to be worried. This season at the moment we have no such right, we should enjoy success while we have it.

Archived