Callum Ball more in the mix?

dabber

Hidden in the Pearson and Leacock shop window article was the following quote from Nigel

"Callum Ball came down from the youth team to train with us after getting two more goals at the weekend. We would like to keep him with us as long as we can."

So it seems that his goals have given him an opportunity with the big boys and Nigel seems to hope that he will stick with the top squad. Perhaps Nigel wanted to see him prove himself as I think it was mentioned that he came back for pre-season a bit out of shape. So seems he has served his time now and is perhaps in the first team picture? Would be great news if he can do an O'Brien or Hendrick...

PS. I am not related to B4!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get your hopes up on him being in the first team. He's struggling now he's up against players his own size. Basically, he's been found out.

Expect to see him knocking around the lower leagues rather than in our first team.

Don't get your hopes up on him being in the first team. He's struggling now he's up against players his own size. Basically, he's been found out.

Expect to see him knocking around the lower leagues rather than in our first team.

Talk about writing someone off! How old is he? Bit young to be "found out" dontchathink? He will improve, whether it will be enough remains to be seen but he has hardly been given a run in the squad.

edit- Hi, just noticed it was your first post- Welcome aboard! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I have heard something similar about Callum Ball, he uses his physicality to his advantage very well and has managed to make himself some what of a problem when playing against smaller players, now he is coming up against his own size I have heard that he struggles to have as much of an impact on the game, his basic footballing ability and fitness are somewhat lacking but this is just from what I've heard, and not exactly someone with brilliant scouting ability but just someone who has watched the youth team for 4-5 years now.

The lad still finds the net though.

Deserves a chance as much as Hendrick or O'Brien.

Depends if he's good or not!

From what I've seen and from what I've heard from those who've seen him more than I have suggest he's not the wonderkid everyone makes him out to be. If he works hard then he probably is good enough to make a contribution to the first team but the reason why he scores so many goals is that he's very good at scoring against 18 and 17 year olds with his superior strength.

I'd like to see his game develop a little more, so training more regularly with the first team is a must.

I'm such the trickery of Gareth Roberts with his samba style will eventually rub off on the lad.

Archived